Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Helicoil Heaven

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:26 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Helicoil Heaven

So after using dozens of helicoils from local auto parts stores, I ran out last night and bought a new kit from Graingers. This kit is soooo much better than the kits they sell at Kragens/Pepboys etc. The insert screws right in without any effort or "touch" as needed with the other kits. Try it, you'll like it.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ite...BaseItem=5WU48
Old 03-21-2009, 02:43 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested but a bit confused i always just get new coils and retain the same tap . have you been using something other then "helicoil" in the past ?
Old 03-21-2009, 11:35 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably one of two things - either the inserts he was using weren't Helicoils, or the insertion tool in the kit is making installation easier. Timeserts are much nicer than Helicoils, but they're also much more expensive.

The Helicoil and Timesert kits are available from McMaster Carr too.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

The grainger insertion tool has a slotted end that traps the tang and screws the insert into the hole just like it were a bolt. The insertion tool also has an adjustable stop so you can sink the insert exactly where you want it. And, the kit comes with three different length inserts, for deep, medium, and shallow holes. All the other helicoils I've seen have a two-part insertion tool -- with a loading tube and a driver. The loading tube thing seems to do nothing but add complexity, and the insertion tool is cheaply made with a little lip on the end that is supposed to (but doens't always) catch the tang on the insert to turn it. Not a big deal, but it's the little things in life after all....
Old 03-21-2009, 01:35 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, i am a fan of timeserts as well. I have seen too many helicoils pull out under vibrational stresses.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Yup, i am a fan of timeserts as well. I have seen too many helicoils pull out under vibrational stresses.
Really, I've never seen that (and am suddenly worried about all the helicoils on my car). I have noticed that aluminum thread holes seem much more likely to strip once they've been through a parts washer. Maybe its just random coincidence, but sure seems like a pattern to me.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:16 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Timeserts are lightyears ahead of helicoil. Did this for a Northstar V8. Comes with other components/tools though like an alignment plate, drill bits etc. That extra goes a very long way. The inserts are also fantastic.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:25 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a timesert on the hotside of my turbo because one of my stud holes was stripped out. Those things are good stuff.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Edumacate me, please.

While attempting to remove a front rotor on my S2, I rounded out the philips head on one of the countersunk screws.

Helicoil or timesert? S.O.S.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Edumacate me, please.

While attempting to remove a front rotor on my S2, I rounded out the philips head on one of the countersunk screws.

Helicoil or timesert? S.O.S.
Helicoils and timeserts are for thread holes where the threads are stripped out. You drill the hole oversized and then screw in these inserts to bring the threaded hole back to original thread size. For for rounded out screw heads, probably easiest to drill the head off...
Old 03-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
For for rounded out screw heads, probably easiest to drill the head off...
As with an easy out? Haven't had any joy with an Italian set of extractors that don't bite into the screw anywhere.

Sorry for the hijack, but what would you recommed to reverse drill that S.O.B. out? I spent a couple of hours today drilling to no avail and could sure use some of the "heaven" you're referring to! TIA
Old 03-22-2009, 05:58 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
As with an easy out? Haven't had any joy with an Italian set of extractors that don't bite into the screw anywhere.

Sorry for the hijack, but what would you recommed to reverse drill that S.O.B. out? I spent a couple of hours today drilling to no avail and could sure use some of the "heaven" you're referring to! TIA
Cobalt drill bit and just drill the head off. I wouldn't worry about getting the entire screw out. Whatever is left, I'd just grind flat once you got the rotor off. I don't run those screws and never will - seems that everyone ends up with them stripping out sooner or later.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:17 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use helicoils when it is an emergency or a not so important part. I have not been able to find a timesert dealer around here, so I have been using the threaded inserts that Fastenal has, which are really nice. I had to order an oversized insert to fix my caster block mounts.They are slotted at the top so you can spin them in with a flat head screwdriver...they are also case hardened as well. Too bad I forgot the name.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:27 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a timesert on the hotside of my turbo because one of my stud holes was stripped out. Those things are good stuff.
Considering thermal excursions and the amount of work to get to it, that is about the last place I'd do a coil.

It may be a bit late.. but use a large diameter bit to drill the head off, remove rotor, and vicegrip the stud out. Keep in mind, the main reason for those are to keep the discs on during the car's assbly.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:40 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CurtP
Cobalt drill bit and just drill the head off. I wouldn't worry about getting the entire screw out. Whatever is left, I'd just grind flat once you got the rotor off. I don't run those screws and never will - seems that everyone ends up with them stripping out sooner or later.
Thanks! And another bump for the helicoils.

Quick Reply: Helicoil Heaven