Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best solution for turbo oil feed line?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best solution for turbo oil feed line?

Just wondering if anybody else has run into this and what you guys have done if you have. Last year the oil feed line to my turbo started leaking badly through the braid. It is obvious whatever line is inside of the steel braid has failed and it is pouring oil all over the top of my turbo. I priced out a new line from Porsche (since paragon, pelican, allzim, etc., don't seem to carry it) and I was quoted ~$280-$400 for the line. I see Lindsey has a turbo oil filter kit which replaces this line available for significantly less than this. I am running an entirely stock configuration (bored 1mm over but I only did it to clean up the bores) and I really don't care to have another filter to change. So, I am wondering:
Has anybody run their kit without the filter? Did you order it without the filter if so?
Is it easy to install / keep leak free?
Is there another option I haven't considered here?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Other option: Buy a used line? I have never seen one of those leak before like that.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My feed line MAY be leaking. In which case, I would go with the Lindsey product. In fact, I might just do that anyway.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you had to change the filter due to debree, that means you are not changing
the turbo which you would of destroyeed. There is a lot of surface area
in that filter. Unless you loose a rod bearing or similar, you should not have
to worry about it.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 03-19-2009, 01:45 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Seems to me that I remember Tim making a replacement over at SFR (http://www.speedforceracing.com/). You might try giving him a call, or going used. I can help with used if you want to go that route.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We also have plenty of used ones. Give us a call if you need
either.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the OEM part number for this line? You don't mean the oil cooler lines do you?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the LR feed line and it works well and is a nice replacement for the stock line at a much cheaper price. The stock line has a plastic or teflon coated line which gets brittle and can crack if flexed too much, so i opted to replace it entirely.

There is no reason to need to change the inline filter any more than you would change your oil filter, even then i dont think its going to be necessary to do if your keeping your oil changes up to date and not driving through sand dunes with no air filter. When you do need to clean it, take it off and open it up..spray filter media with carb cleaner and let it air dry. The location of the filter ends up right infront of the firewall on the drivers side so its very easy to access.

I had some issues with the fitting leaking on the flange (on the turbo) but that was mostly related to my use of teflon tape which i dont think is up to the task.. i used a high temp / pressure thread paste which worked. Took me 3 times to figure that one out... .

Basically i think what it comes down to..is the inline filter can only help you and is not such a huge burden in terms of maintaining it.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:02 PM
xupkid2
Pro

I also have the Lindsey line & filter and I like it a lot. It was easy to install and having an extra filter can never be a bad thing. I would rather spend an extra 5 min when doing an oil change to have the added protection on my turbo as they are not cheap to replace. The other option is the make your own hose. You can buy some braided line and end fittings and then just take your old line, cut off the cap and tap it as Lindsey recommends with their system.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Not the best, but if you like paying $17 for an oil filter here is what I have. I have the balance shaft feed plugged and this line runs straight to the turbo. I didn't have the stock setup or else I would have probably gone to it.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

is the pipe that is it leaking this one "Oil pipe 951.107.317.03" ?

http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/455195977
Old 03-20-2009, 04:15 AM
eniac
Drifting

Don't bother buying a used one. Those get very brittle inside from people bending them when pulling the turbo off. There's no good way to check the condition of a used one on the inside.

Either buy a new factory line(overpriced), get the Lindsey kit, or make your own. I have the Lindsey kit on my car and am very pleased with it and the many benefits from it(saves the turbo, routing the line out cools the oil some before it enters the turbo, easier to work with then the factory line, etc).

I've had this on my car for about 4 years now.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
is the pipe that is it leaking this one "Oil pipe 951.107.317.03" ?

http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/455195977
Yup, thats the exact line. Odd they list it for $50 there, I have been quoted many times that by every dealership I have talked to.
I am shying away from buying a used one for the reasons already mentioned. The line has a stainless braid on it and sits very near the hot side of the turbo. I would not put any faith in any used lines, and given the amount of work involved in changing it I think I'll pass on a used one.

I know when it comes to oil you can never have too many filters, but there is a strong possibility my car will be up for sale this year (I am almost positive some life changes are going to force it, and that sucks) and trying to convince any future owners that this was a smart modification (or even just convince them that it is not a bad modification) will be tricky. If Lindsey sells the kit without the filter (and a single piece of line long enough to reach) that sounds like the perfect solution for me. I'm just looking for a stock-ish replacement here, and while I do fully recognize the benefits of adding a filter to that line it is just not worth it to me.

If the OEM line can be had for under $100 that sounds pretty cool, but if not I think I'll be pursuing the Lindsey kit (sans filter if it is possible). Besides I already have to call them up in a couple of weeks for a boost enhancer and some other bits.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:08 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zero10
Yup, thats the exact line. Odd they list it for $50 there, I have been quoted many times that by every dealership I have talked to.
I am shying away from buying a used one for the reasons already mentioned. The line has a stainless braid on it and sits very near the hot side of the turbo. I would not put any faith in any used lines, and given the amount of work involved in changing it I think I'll pass on a used one.

I know when it comes to oil you can never have too many filters, but there is a strong possibility my car will be up for sale this year (I am almost positive some life changes are going to force it, and that sucks) and trying to convince any future owners that this was a smart modification (or even just convince them that it is not a bad modification) will be tricky. If Lindsey sells the kit without the filter (and a single piece of line long enough to reach) that sounds like the perfect solution for me. I'm just looking for a stock-ish replacement here, and while I do fully recognize the benefits of adding a filter to that line it is just not worth it to me.

If the OEM line can be had for under $100 that sounds pretty cool, but if not I think I'll be pursuing the Lindsey kit (sans filter if it is possible). Besides I already have to call them up in a couple of weeks for a boost enhancer and some other bits.
I have the exact same leak. I just ordered the Turbo Oil Filter Kit because I have also ordered the Idle Stabilizer Hose / Venturi Delete & Vaccuum line Kit. I know it's a bit pricey - but it seems like I might as well do it right the first time.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:17 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zero10
If Lindsey sells the kit without the filter (and a single piece of line long enough to reach) that sounds like the perfect solution for me. I'm just looking for a stock-ish replacement here, and while I do fully recognize the benefits of adding a filter to that line it is just not worth it to me.

The kit I got from LR had one long peice of hose that you cut whereever you wanted to place the filter. So your not required to use the filter. I ended up with about 6 inches of extra hose. If you wanted a more stock look you could just buy the fittings and use black braided hose.

Quick Reply: Best solution for turbo oil feed line?