Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best solution for turbo oil feed line?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:32 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zero10
Yup, thats the exact line. Odd they list it for $50 there, I have been quoted many times that by every dealership I have talked to.
I am shying away from buying a used one for the reasons already mentioned. The line has a stainless braid on it and sits very near the hot side of the turbo. I would not put any faith in any used lines, and given the amount of work involved in changing it I think I'll pass on a used one.

I know when it comes to oil you can never have too many filters, but there is a strong possibility my car will be up for sale this year (I am almost positive some life changes are going to force it, and that sucks) and trying to convince any future owners that this was a smart modification (or even just convince them that it is not a bad modification) will be tricky. If Lindsey sells the kit without the filter (and a single piece of line long enough to reach) that sounds like the perfect solution for me. I'm just looking for a stock-ish replacement here, and while I do fully recognize the benefits of adding a filter to that line it is just not worth it to me.

If the OEM line can be had for under $100 that sounds pretty cool, but if not I think I'll be pursuing the Lindsey kit (sans filter if it is possible). Besides I already have to call them up in a couple of weeks for a boost enhancer and some other bits.

I don't find it odd that they quoted you 4 X times the actual price in Canada. You would have to be crazy to order anything from the Porsche Dealer in Canada. Do you know how much the timing belt, balance shaft belt and all the rollers cost at the dealer? About $500 plux tax which is about $600 and that is not including the waterpump. I bought my belts/rollers at Rennbay (Racing belts) & Replacement Fuel Lines and after shipping in CDN cash It's about $450 - $500. Pretty good deal if you ask me.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:08 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All you need is a banjo fitting and some AN hose and 90 degre fitting and then order this off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Function7-T3-T4-4...742.m153.l1262

Then youll have something that will work perfectly. Im using this on my car now, combined with a small filter. Doesnt require drilling and tapping the turbo, or anything stupid like that.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:50 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeh the other solution is using copper flared tube and put 3 or 4 expansion loopes in it .
Old 03-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Arto 951
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a bad thing to use banjo fittings at both ends of the turbo oil feed hose?
Wondering because never seen that done this way....
Old 03-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
All you need is a banjo fitting and some AN hose and 90 degre fitting and then order this off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Function7-T3-T4-4...742.m153.l1262

Then youll have something that will work perfectly. Im using this on my car now, combined with a small filter. Doesnt require drilling and tapping the turbo, or anything stupid like that.
Could somebody post up what size banjo fitting and line would be required? I am not at all familiar with these bits and would likely mess it up given the chance. The Lindsey flange has a 1/4" NPT inlet on it, there must be some kind of right angle fitting that would go on there. Seems simpler than adding an extra fitting on top of the EBay flange (because it probably wouldn't fit under the intake/throttle body).

Thanks for the tips so far
Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea.. the LR flange uses a 45* fitting that goes from 1/4 NPT to i believe -4 AN. IM pretty sure thats the size of the braided hose.. but someone may want to verify. Im not sure what size banjo bolt you need though.

Everything fit fine under my intake with plenty of space to spare (mounted on 60-1 HiFi)

The only thing you should be aware of is the routing of the line, i was not able to run it the way its shown on the LR webpage due to the turbo waterpump. The line would come in contact with the throttle cam at WOT. I ended up cutting a slot through the brake booster heatshield and routing it right through.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:03 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero10
Could somebody post up what size banjo fitting and line would be required? I am not at all familiar with these bits and would likely mess it up given the chance. The Lindsey flange has a 1/4" NPT inlet on it, there must be some kind of right angle fitting that would go on there. Seems simpler than adding an extra fitting on top of the EBay flange (because it probably wouldn't fit under the intake/throttle body).

Thanks for the tips so far
I will find some pictures, but the ebay fitting and a 120 degree AN fitting both fit under the intake on my VR Stage 2 turbo. The banjo is I think 14MM but ill measure tonight.

Quick Reply: Best solution for turbo oil feed line?