Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MBC or LR Boost Enhancer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:24 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Accuboost. No problems, worries, or bad experiances from anyone that i have ever seen use it, including myself.

wish that could be said for the black **** or LBE...
Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
So.... With the stock WG design, the WG starts to open at very low boost levels based on the pressure at the back of the valve so using a bleed MBC doesn't do you much justice. The ball and spring design keeps the signal air out until a certain boost level is achieved (but can cause some boost spikes). That's why the LBE types are said to be better on a stock WG. When using a LBE, it is not a good idea to bypass the cycling valve.
I start building boost at 3 psi slowly, I have a stock wg without the cycling valve, so the LBE would do me no good...
Old 03-16-2009, 07:42 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by hockeydude
Accuboost. No problems, worries, or bad experiances from anyone that i have ever seen use it, including myself.

wish that could be said for the black **** or LBE...
So far everyone says all these great things about them and no one has said if there is boost creep or staggered psi in different gears...or what benefits there are from the ball and spring over the bleeder valve on the black ****...
Old 03-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use accuboost with my synapse WG just for the easy of adjusting boost but eliminating boost control with the synapse boost settings would be pretty safe.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LFA951
So far everyone says all these great things about them and no one has said if there is boost creep or staggered psi in different gears...or what benefits there are from the ball and spring over the bleeder valve on the black ****...
Boost controller type should be application specific. If you have a dual port you need a bleeder type (AKA black ****), if you have a single port wastegate, get a ball and spring type (Accuboost). The two types of wastegate operate differently and work best with different boost controllers.

The ball and spring type completley blocks signal to the wastegate until the predefined pressure is reached. This is fine for a single port wastegate where the air singal is only needed on one side of the diaphragm. A dual port wastegate constantly needs an air signal to the wastegate, this is because the dual port uses the air signal on both sides of the wastegate diaphragm to help keep the wastegate shut at anything other than full boost, hence why you need a bleed type wastegate.

I have no idea if your going to get boost creep with the stock wastegate and an accuboost as i have never tried that combo. I was simply stating that the black **** controller is not ideal for a single port wastegate.

Also someone implied that the black **** controller is problematic and not reliable. I think anyone who has had problems with them should also state if they are running a single or dual port wastegate and where they had them installed (high heat engine bay or in the cabin?). I think alot of the bad rap simply comes from people who dont pay attention to how much boost they are running. Any boost controller is a '**** of death' if you are not paying attention to your gauges (aftermarket boost gauge a must) or dont know how much boost you should be running in the first place. I use one in conjunction with a dual port wastegate and get perfect boost control in every gear except 1st of course (not enough load for full boost). Set it for 14-15psi in 4th gear and i get the same pressure in every other gear.

My experience with the stock wastegate and the black **** controller was pretty poor and honestly i dont see why anyone would continue to run the car this way. It took forever to dial in this boost controller because it literally took 2-3 turns to get 1psi change in pressure. I was seeing a 2-3psi difference for each gear also at full boost. I knew this was going to be a problem with the stock wastegate so i simply stayed off boost until i had time to put the dual port in. Now with the dual port, its usually about one or two 'clicks' on the controller to adjust 1 psi. Couldnt be any easier than that..no guess work or having to count full revolutions.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:28 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Thank you, very nicely explained...now I have to return the black **** and decide if to get the Accuboost or the Joe P Inline, same ball and spring concept, $20 difference...

Last edited by LFA951; 03-16-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I do; unorthadox but works brilliantly.
With shimmed stock wastegate, use LBE and behind it (towards the wastegate) you put in a bleeder valve.
The LBE acts like a gain (quick boost to the preset level) and the bleeder valve delivers a smooth rise to your max desired boost level. Never a spike and same boost in top 3 gears.
Try to use smallest possible air pressure feed (maybe a restrictor in the banjo line before the LBE) and smallest possible bleeder to achieve desired boost.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:58 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neither, they both suck. Its more money, but get an electronic boost controller. So much better in my experience.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:05 AM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Neither, they both suck. Its more money, but get an electronic boost controller. So much better in my experience.
+1 Lovin my sequential boost controller(sbc). Not cheap solution tho.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:04 AM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

damnit... there's always about a thread per week that confuses me on something that i thought that i understood.... This is one of those! haha

now y'all have got me thinking that i need to swap out my amazingly accurate accuboost for a bleeder type for my Tial...
Old 03-17-2009, 02:42 AM
RPHARRIS
Racer

now y'all have got me thinking that i need to swap out my amazingly accurate accuboost for a bleeder type for my Tial..
If it works then stick with it. I ran my Tial single port with Joe P for a while. Below 15 psi it really doesn't make a difference. At higher pressures you might start to encounter some "flutter." You'll know what I mean when it happens.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:24 AM
LFA951
Drifting

NOw what do I do?
Old 03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Dude it's really not that complicated

Stock Wastegate <---> Ball and Spring Controller (Accuboost, Joe P, turbo x****, etc) Some Electronic controllers may work as well.

Dual Port <---> Bleed Type (Black ****) or Electronic
Old 03-17-2009, 05:26 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

yea, but i've got a tial and an accuboost and it works flawlessly to controll my pressure....

sooooooo obviously not that easy.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:45 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by RPHARRIS
Dude it's really not that complicated

Stock Wastegate <---> Ball and Spring Controller (Accuboost, Joe P, turbo x****, etc) Some Electronic controllers may work as well.

Dual Port <---> Bleed Type (Black ****) or Electronic
What difference will there be? Boost creep is inevitable with either one, if anything will the ball and spring delay the signal over the ****?

Quick Reply: MBC or LR Boost Enhancer?