Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

what is different about 180mph speedometer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:58 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default what is different about 180mph speedometer?

I have a 160mph and a 180mph that I am trying to combine into one that works.

The only differences between the 2 that I can find are the plate with the mph numbers on it (of course) and then some of the resistor values in the circuit board are different.

Does anyone know if the spring/needle drive mechanism is identical? This is the assembly that the needle slips onto.

I would like to swap it from one to the other if possible.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 02:24 PM
manticore33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can easily remove the whole speedometer/odometer from one cluster and move it to another cluster. It is just a few screws and a couple of nuts.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:04 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

I know, but I have a fried circuit board on one and a broken piece that the speedo needle attaches to on the other. So I need to know if the latter can be switched back and forth, since I see the circuit boards have different resistors.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:18 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark944turbo
I know, but I have a fried circuit board on one and a broken piece that the speedo needle attaches to on the other. So I need to know if the latter can be switched back and forth, since I see the circuit boards have different resistors.
The back half of the speedo and the face need to be kept together... The circuit card and driver (piece the needle attaches to) are a matched set (I believe) and shouldn't be separated... Which are you going after, a 160 or 180..If you need the 160 let me know, I have an extra I don't need and might be inclined to install a new odometer gear for the right price... Or you can make an offer for the speedo, and use your odometer gear set in the KNOWN GOOD Speedo...

How did you fry the circuit card in the first place?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:42 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 168 Posts

Mark- If John cannot get you what you need I have 2 clusters I robbed tach parts from. You are correct about the curcuit boards, they are different.

Cheers, Mike
Old 03-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone combined a turbo and na cluster to eliminate the useless factory boost guage while keeping the milage accurate.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:28 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cory9584
Has anyone combined a turbo and na cluster to eliminate the useless factory boost guage while keeping the milage accurate.
Boost gauge is on the Tachometer, no relation to the Odometer, could be done with no ill effect to the rest of the cluster... Maybe I will take this route when I install an AFM and aftermarket boost gauge...
Old 03-14-2009, 06:44 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

"The circuit card and driver (piece the needle attaches to) are a matched set (I believe) and shouldn't be separated..."

I didn't read this reply until I made the switch....and put everything back in the car. I will report back as to weather it works or not this Spring. The parts look identical and have the same number stamped on them, although I can see how they would be a matched and "calibrated" set. I am ending up with a 160mph because the 180mph one had the bad circuit board.

I am not sure how the circuit board fried, but it has black burn marks on it upon removal. It never worked for me.

So thanks for the offers on clusters/parts, but I am all set, until I find out if this works or not.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:17 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mark944turbo
"The circuit card and driver (piece the needle attaches to) are a matched set (I believe) and shouldn't be separated..."

I didn't read this reply until I made the switch....and put everything back in the car. I will report back as to weather it works or not this Spring. The parts look identical and have the same number stamped on them, although I can see how they would be a matched and "calibrated" set. I am ending up with a 160mph because the 180mph one had the bad circuit board.

I am not sure how the circuit board fried, but it has black burn marks on it upon removal. It never worked for me.

So thanks for the offers on clusters/parts, but I am all set, until I find out if this works or not.
If it is fouled up, let me know I still have a perfectly good 160 MPH speedo (might keep the rest of the cluster though)...

Quick Reply: what is different about 180mph speedometer?