Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Weighed the car today

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:27 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
not to bad thanks for posting now i think my car should be a little lighter cool. I assume you were in it?
are you using fiberglass? My car is bare minimum in terms of interior (excluding HVAC) I think the only way I can get lower now is to start uning fiberglass parts
Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The car is looking "racey". i will weigh and post in about two weeks which will give you something to compare to. I weighed at 3050 stock - 951 (non s) There are a lot of places to lose weight, but of course they cost $. My doors are empty, rear bumper is an AIR lightweight part, windshield is replaced, battery is replaced, carpet is replaced with lighter weight older carpet. Headliner removed entirely due to cage height. HVAC gone due to front cage bar.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

My car was about 3150 with me in it - that puts it a tick under 3k (like Dan's).

I'll be curious to see what it turns out to be with this "cup car diet"...

Dan, care to share your corner weights?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:55 PM
DanR
Drifting

I dont pick it up until Friday so I will let you know then
Old 03-11-2009, 10:25 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
yeah, that sounds about right. These cars are really heavy. The factory numbers are a joke.

Well, I don't know.
Porsche's official weight is 2,998 lbs.
Mine is pretty close.
Weighing it at a truck station, I came in at 2,990lbs with tank slightly less than half full. Stock interior with sport seats (only one way power on driver side).
Weight savings from stock: removed spare and tools, ac delete, stock air flow meter is gone, aftermarket exhaust probably a hair lighter.
Weight put back in: wheels and tires are heavier than stock.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanR
are you using fiberglass? My car is bare minimum in terms of interior (excluding HVAC) I think the only way I can get lower now is to start uning fiberglass parts
Well i do not have a roll cage, no 5lbs plumbed extinguisher, charcoal canister delete, my exhaust prob weighs half as much as urs, and a bunch of small things like factory harness
Old 03-12-2009, 11:14 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the car in the garage for the last couple of days having some work done. The car weighed 2932lbs and thought I would list modifications as we always have a 'what does my car weigh)

1988 Turbo S, half tank of fuel

Added
Safety devices cage
5lbs plumbed extinguisher
2.5 lbs hand held extinguisher
recaro sheels
harness
momo wheel
big red rotors and calipers

removed
power seats
rear seats
cat delete
original airbag wheel and passenger airbag
carpets and sound dedening
center console and stereo
all speakers and door cards
light motors
central locking
no washer fluid
seat belts
spare wheel
rear washer motor
ac delete
cruise control motor
fog lights

no fiberglass and all original body parts, Now I just need to add weight to make class minimum
If you are racing PCA, remember, the weight in the rules is car, driver (with all the safety equipment) and fuel. Your weight should be about perfect for F class.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 PM
DanR
Drifting

A bit light, I need to be 3148, I am about 175 with gear which means I need the car to be 3000. As it is 2932 with 2/3 a tank I am guessing I need to add about 75 ilb to make safe weight.

PS I am running G class
Old 03-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

PS I am running G class
G as a prepared car - so you have to run F class weight.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:51 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Van
G as a prepared car - so you have to run F class weight.
yup which is 3148. Guess it is balast in the passenger foot well
Old 03-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dan,

Are A/C delete and light motor delete allowed under PCA stock rules? Also, do you have no carpets or what just no insulation and undercoating beneath the carpet? I was not aware that these are allowed in PCA stock.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:44 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#11 went into a new body a year ago. The body was a street '88, with no special treatment. The undercarpet rubber/horsehair matting came out and lightweight carpet went in [no rear hatch carpet], but that was about it.
Fully race prepped with no gas and no coolshirt box it weighs 3145 including my #210 + suit, helmet, HANS etc, and that's with 68# of lead ballast.

FWIW, PCA Stock rules require:
- all the AC components [except the condensor 2009 rule change?]
- headlight motors
- rear seat
- interior trim panels [rear quarter & door panels]
Old 03-13-2009, 11:06 AM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Dan,

Are A/C delete and light motor delete allowed under PCA stock rules? Also, do you have no carpets or what just no insulation and undercoating beneath the carpet? I was not aware that these are allowed in PCA stock.
Ac delete is allowed as a prepared mod (I am running as a prepared G) but not stock (belts are) I currently have no carpets in but need to replace them before I race but insulation can be removed (even is stock)
Old 08-19-2018, 08:05 PM
Geronimo73
3rd Gear

Last edited by Geronimo73; 08-19-2018 at 08:06 PM. Reason: wrong forum
Old 08-19-2018, 11:19 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I realize the spirit of this thread surrounds the steps needed to get your car to a weight that's appropriate for a particular racing class, and I can't add anything to that, but count me among the ones amazed (and disappointed!) at how much the O.P.'s car still weighs after quite a number of weight reduction measures. But then a few things occurred to me:

1. After a little on-track "incident" a few years ago that put a dent in the drivers door, I took it to a body shop for an estimate. The owner told me to get a new door, because the sheet metal on our cars is so thick that the labor cost would be high enough that it would be more economical to just replace the door. He did try pulling the dent out while I was there, just to test it, and although he was a big guy, he could barely make a "dent" in the dent, so to speak. I walked away from that experience thinking, "My God, these cars really are tanks."
2. The crankshaft, at least in my 3-liter, weighs a whopping 55 lb - I weighed it myself.
3. Our torque tube/driveshaft/bearing assembly must weigh closer to 100 lb. than to 50.

So, there are a number of features inherent to these car's design and manufacture working against them ever being lightweights. And yet, there are people who have reportedly gotten them down into the low 2000 lb. range, which seems incredible. Lots of carbon fiber and exotic steps involved with that, obviously. Major $$, in other words.

Quick Reply: Weighed the car today