Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Choose... SFR or LR Intake Manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:33 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Tms951
I have the Lindsey racing intake. The reason I picked it was it is an all new piece, I also liked how they did testing on it and published what they found. I thought that with the new cast plenum it looked much better too. On the other hand the SFR one is half a stock intake with a sheet metal plenum. The SFR one just looked like to much of some ones at home garage project to me.

If I had it to do again I would still get an intake and it would still be the LR one. Reason being how easy it is to get to the turbo. Getting to the turbo involves removing four bolts and one hose clamp. I have found my self pulling the turbo numerous times on my car, right now I am on my fourth turbo in 6000miles (I don't drive the car much). It takes an hour and a half to remove the turbo at home in my garage.

My engine bay:
Seems like an inverted reason to select an intake? The fact that it takes you half an hour to get to your turbo is nice, but I'd be wondering why you've had so many failures with so little driving? What were all the turbos and reasons for failure? From what I've heard and what also seems to have been substantiated in this and other threads, the LR one does move the tq along way up the curve. What have been your impressions?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:44 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe he is like me and swapping turbos on a Saturday afternoon sounds like fun.

Only he has few less pieces to remove
Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 AM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me ask a question... Has anyone ever tested a SFR or LR manifold back to back with a stock manifold? This is not a loaded question rather than a way to find someone who can actually answer this thread. All I read here are opinions and no data.
Chris Prack has (I think he flow tested all of the available manifolds)
Old 03-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I am going to try the SFR with 928 TB. I don't have a flowbench handy, but will do dyno testing and report back. Also plan to do temp testing on the intercooler. Stay "tuned" on that.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:35 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Okay, what about this? I've read on more than one occasion, that the stock manifold has a problem of uneven distribution. I believe cylinder 1 receives more or less air than cylinder 4 etc. Just curious on that point. Other than that, I've never heard of anyone gaining tons of power by changing to a new manifold.

However, my points of concern regarding a manifold would be runner length and plenum volume. Surprised no one has addressed plenum volume or design as of yet in this thread. Runner length plays a role in the breathing characteristics of the motor. Shorter runners favoring boost and high-RPM's, but not so much for street driving.

The LR manifold and SFR manifold look to be separated by only one major detail, and that's the plenum design. Well.. That and throttle body orientation.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Tms951
Pro

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Seems like an inverted reason to select an intake? The fact that it takes you half an hour to get to your turbo is nice, but I'd be wondering why you've had so many failures with so little driving? What were all the turbos and reasons for failure? From what I've heard and what also seems to have been substantiated in this and other threads, the LR one does move the tq along way up the curve. What have been your impressions?
It is one of the good reasons to pick this intake over another. As far as power in theory yes it should move the power band right. I however have know idea what it did because it has been on my engine since day one so I have no comparison.

Only one turbo failed, it was my first super 75, it was proptly replaced no questions asked. It could have been put together to tight or it could have been oil starved, never happened again. Second turbo was the Super 75 replacement, third was a BB turbonetics 60-1 hifi, and fourth is a DBB super 75. I am so happy with the DBB super 75, it is a totaly different feeling turbo from the journal bearing super 75. The 60-1 was fine but I wanted more,, also DBB is way better than BB.

I don't drive the car much because It often is haveing something done to it. Also its really a track car and isn't much fun to drive on the street. My M3 is so nice on the street I am not often compelled to take out my 951 unless its a track day.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:34 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Still, seems like a lot of failures for a car driven so little?
I know what you mean by not having a comparison. We tend to get used to driving whatever is on our cars. Yours would have to be a little laggy with that intake and turbo, but you're used to it and drive it accordingly. It's not hard and it would provide a really nice Whack when the boost kicks in. What's not to like about that.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:08 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Still, seems like a lot of failures for a car driven so little?
I know what you mean by not having a comparison. We tend to get used to driving whatever is on our cars. Yours would have to be a little laggy with that intake and turbo, but you're used to it and drive it accordingly. It's not hard and it would provide a really nice Whack when the boost kicks in. What's not to like about that.
one failure. From what he's saying. It seems that only the first turbo failed. Probably forgot to prime it with oil first on startup.

But. He switched out the 2nd good 75 for the 60-1 hifi because of a large amount of lag. He put in the 60-1. It boosted quicker, but seemed to max out around 400whp. So he bought a dual Ball bearing 75. It spools decently now and can make alot more power. So.. only 1 failure, and others were just a bad match for his needs. - He should have started out with a Garrett though.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Whoops. That's what you get from reading when you're at work. Ok I see what he means. I would think that with this setup even allowing for DBB, it will still hit 1 bar in the late 3's? I'm used to that myself so that wouldn't worry me. I like the kick and forward planning the gaps.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What every happend to testing these back to back with the stock?

Quick Reply: Choose... SFR or LR Intake Manifold?