Need a temporary seat solution,steering wheel,door panels

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:51 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azbanks
There have been several posts that I have seen regarding factory BMW seats failing in rear end collisions. The side brackets do not hold the seat against the sudden forward movement. The bottom and the bracket move forward with the car but the stress breaks the brackets allowing the seat back to fold rearward. So your pelvis moves forward with the car but your spine stays where is was.
Personally, I like to keep my spine and pelvis attached.

If factory BMW seats can have these kinds of issues, how reliable do you think cheap ebay seats will be? They are cheap to buy but, one accident could make them the most expensive purchase of your life.
I appreciate your concern. The seats in question require to much fiddling for my liking so they are out anyhow.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:20 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

New center console tray and dash mat came in from 944online today. I already put them in. I'll post pics tomorrow. Overall I love the tray and hate the mat. Its obvious it isn't designed for our cars initially but, was made to work or something. The defroster vents don't line up. I think I'll be ordered their dash cover instead.

Still trying to find 968 door panels. Contacted 928 leather. The carpet should be here in 3 more weeks, I also ordered his complete interior nut/bolt/clip kit. Its got everything thats needed. I still need a set of temp seats. Does anyone know where I could find the rear set bottem in black? Just the bottem part thats got sound deading material on it? I found a couple on evilbay but, was hoping to try here first. Seems like they run about 30-40 bucks.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

There is a set of 968 panels on pelican, you would have to dye them though. If you do find a set prepare to $$, they usually arent cheap!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:27 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
There is a set of 968 panels on pelican, you would have to dye them though. If you do find a set prepare to $$, they usually arent cheap!
I found two sets on ebay but, neither of them are black. How hard is it to dye something like that?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:01 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Not hard, I had a trim shop do mine but would prob do it myself today. Has held up great (5-6 years now).
Old 03-20-2009, 10:39 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Are they sport seats? How much?

Nope
Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Not hard, I had a trim shop do mine but would prob do it myself today. Has held up great (5-6 years now).
Can you pm me info on what they charged you and what materials I'd need to do it myself. If this is the case I'll probably buy the set I saw on evil bay and just dye them or have them dyed. I just visited the best glass shop in the area. The guy said my hatch HAS indeed separated from the frame and thats why I'm getting so much rattling He said I need a new one and didn't feel like he could separate the two and put them back together. Something about it being molded into one piece from the factory? Some sort of something?

Anyways he said he could do my windshield and it shouldn't be a problem. Quoted me $150 but, also said he could tell it wasn't done right the first time and I apparently have small pockets of rust and wear underneath which will need to be address He said no sense in putting in a new seal and redoing it if its just covering over something thats not right.

So now I'm off to the body shop to see what they will charge to repair the inner area of the windshield frame and possibly repaint the top of the car. While I'm at it I'll get a quote on realigning the front end and respraying that as well. It looks like I'll need a new hatch though. Ouch.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Tms951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personaly I would sugest you not spend any money on "temporary" parts. This is like lighting money on fire. You are still going to end up spending somewhere in the neighborhood of 500$, thats 500$ you could have spent on the stuff you really want.

You are talking about 9 months before you do what you really want, why don't you save now and step up the timeline for when you start that project. The other thing is often times "temporary" things end up not being so, you might have these big plans for what you want to do in 9 months, but alot can change in that amount of time and you could be stuck with what you do now.

The GT3 seats are really cool, but is it really worth it to go put a set of seats in a car when those seats are equal to 25% the value of the car. You can still get some really nice seats for more like 750$ a piece. The money saved here could also really step up your timeline for doing it right.

I have done things before and then redone them. When you are redoing it, you always end up kicking yourself over the wasted money first time around. At this point I have adopted the attitude of do right the first time or don't do it at all.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tms951
Personaly I would sugest you not spend any money on "temporary" parts. This is like lighting money on fire. You are still going to end up spending somewhere in the neighborhood of 500$, thats 500$ you could have spent on the stuff you really want.

You are talking about 9 months before you do what you really want, why don't you save now and step up the timeline for when you start that project. The other thing is often times "temporary" things end up not being so, you might have these big plans for what you want to do in 9 months, but alot can change in that amount of time and you could be stuck with what you do now.

The GT3 seats are really cool, but is it really worth it to go put a set of seats in a car when those seats are equal to 25% the value of the car. You can still get some really nice seats for more like 750$ a piece. The money saved here could also really step up your timeline for doing it right.

I have done things before and then redone them. When you are redoing it, you always end up kicking yourself over the wasted money first time around. At this point I have adopted the attitude of do right the first time or don't do it at all.
I totally agree with doing it right. However to really do it right is 10k. While most wouldn't be comfortable spending that kind of money on a interior I'm fine with it because just like everything else custom on this car its a alot of money and at this point I'm never going to sell the damn thing.

Was it smart to spend 5k on a turbo kit and fuel system? Or smart to spend 5k on a motor? Or 7k for a custom rear end? What about the 5k in paint? Thats just the start of it(wheels, suspension,tranny stiffing, quaffie LSD, and all the supporting mods to support the turbo system and rest of the car.There is alot of money in this car, so much so that most people would think I'm nuts.

I have ZERO problem spending the money to get the interior perfect and by perfect I mean unique as well as professionally done. Robs the best after all. However I not ready for that yet. Right now I think its entirely reasonable to spend 1 tenth of that to set something up to last a year or so. I've already ordered a good bit of stuff already.

Another 300 or so for 968 door panels of which I'll keep permanently and perhaps another 500-600 for proper seats doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. Heck if it really becomes that much of a pain to buy some temp seats I'll recover the ones I have and keep them until the time comes. It really makes little difference to me. What does is the huge rips in the current ones.

I totally agree with doing it right. Its just for me doing it right means quite a bit. I'm just not ready to tackle that just yet. I think this will tide me over until the time comes to really do it properly. when the car is finally done(god will that day ever come) it will be one of the most unique and nicest 944 turbos ever made. Its a money pit but, atleast its my money pit and I'll never see myself ever, anywhere. Not even at a 944 turbo meet.

btw fastRNU you've got pm
Old 03-21-2009, 07:26 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

*update* Found a shop to do my complete carpet install. I'm also going to have them install dynamat everywhere(the tunnel, the floorboards, inside the doors, the rear).

Carpet should be here in another 3 weeks. I have until then to buy the wheel, the door panels, and a few other tidbits. Then it won't be perfect but, atleast it will be a heck of alot better than it is now. I can live with that until I have the money to really do it properly.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:11 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Look what came today.

Does anyone have a carpet diagram to tell me where the heck all this stuff go's??
Old 04-11-2009, 02:33 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Look what came in today!

Here is my old hatch seal versus my new one, and a install pic.

Here is my new fixed open center console piece from 9x auto(I know I know I need new screws, trust me they are coming). I've got a 928leather interior screw, nut, bolt kit coming.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John I cant seem to find that center cosole piece on 9x auto. Do you have a link? Thanks.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:13 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dougs951
John I cant seem to find that center cosole piece on 9x auto. Do you have a link? Thanks.
Actually it was 944online. I must have misspoke, sorry. Here's the link.
http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...+body-944turbo
Old 04-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Need a temporary seat solution,steering wheel,door panels