Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cool in-car track video

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:35 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll ask, but knowing Dwain... if he says it saves 25lbs, I would be surprised if it didn't. He's not one for exaggeration. Considering he build Shamoo and Orca, then moved on... he has zero to prove at this point.

TonyG

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Tony, I looked on the site. I really think theirs is steel, not aluminum. Only the side plates are aluminum!

Rear Suspension Kit
rear suspension

This is the perfect solution for you racers. Kokeln offers a complete replacement rear suspension that eliminates the torsion bars and torsion bar housing for all 944s and 968. The kit includes; complete lightweight steel suspension tube, 935-style 6061-T6 adjustable spring plates, solid bushings and solid upper torsion bar mounts. The pivot mounting points of the spring plates have been raised 1-inch effectively lowering the roll center of the rear of the car. This results in easier more predictable turn-in while cornering. The adjustable spring plates are designed to separate toe and camber adjustments for easy alignment changes. When racers are looking to save ounces, the Kokeln Suspension will save you 25 lbs!

KI105 944, 968 83-95
Old 03-05-2009, 04:45 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
I will say this... you need to see the entire video. This clip has large portions of it "snipped out".

The deal is that I was driving at 85% saving my tires, and literally driving in my rear view mirror trying to keep a safe distance out in front. The problem came when lap traffic showed up. And, as usual, it's seems that this always occurs in the worst spots on the track. I was slowing down to try to time where I would engage the lap traffic as well as trying to gauge where the guys in back of me would catch up when I had to slow down for the lap traffic. It was pretty fun using some of the lap traffic as "Picks"

It's really nothing more than a game of Chess... at speed.

Perhaps someone can get Martin to post the entire unedited race video.

Someone contact Martin Reinhardt at www.reinhardtracing.com and see if he'll post the unedited video.

TonyG
What I saw was early in the video, but I could totally see that you were slowing down in parts which even caught the camera car out once or twice. It felt from inside the c car that he was thinking "What's Tony doing"? but then you'd just take off.

As for red wine, come down here and we'll put some hair on your chest with a decent Barossa Shiraz. You know you're alive with these. Bring your knife and fork though, they're big buggers! lol
Old 03-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I was wondering who that was!

I was feeling stressed just watching that start from the inside of your car!

You gonna be at the Triple Crown?

TonyG
I lost the engine in Vegas. We are building a new engine, so if all goes well I will be at Willow for the event.

Cheers,
Old 03-05-2009, 10:38 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Weston Dillard
Hey Tony,

It's been talked about here before, but I wouldn't expect to really get 25# out with the Kokeln torsion bar carrier. I suspect that figure includes removal of the heavy torsion bars, but not sure if it includes the extra weight of coil-overs. Anyway, the factory torsion bar carrier when stripped only weighs about 25 pounds (23 I think), less if you trim off a few unneeded pieces. The ease of adjustability alone may justify the Kokeln piece, but don't expect much weight reduction from the carrier itself.

West
West, the weight difference with coilovers and kokeln vs stock and torsion bars is ridiculous, more than 25# IIRC. But I can't recall exactly what they were when I weighed them off the top of my head.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:31 AM
sweanders
Race Director

I am surprised that the 911-driver didn't take the numerous passes he was offered.

Cool video though.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:35 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by sweanders
I am surprised that the 911-driver didn't take the numerous passes he was offered.

Cool video though.

The video makes it look like there's more room than there is on the track. It's different in real life...

TonyG
Old 03-05-2009, 12:19 PM
sweanders
Race Director

The video makes it look like there's more room than there is on the track. It's different in real life...

TonyG
Or they guy doesn't want to risk the car. You should have seen some of the passes I did in the 24 hour race last weekend. Most extreme was passing two cars on the outside..
Old 03-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
West, the weight difference with coilovers and kokeln vs stock and torsion bars is ridiculous, more than 25# IIRC. But I can't recall exactly what they were when I weighed them off the top of my head.
That may be. My point was that you will get a lot of that just by going to coilovers. The actual part that gets replaced, the torsion bar carrier, only weighs 23#, so unless the replacement is really, really light... :-)

I'm not putting down Dwain, he seems like a really knowledgable guy and a straight-shooter when I have talked to him. I was just surprised when I weighed the carrier alone that it wasn't any heavier than that. Again, I suspect it is weight loss in total, which will obviously vary based on the size of t-bars you are removing and the coilovers you use. Also, it may well be worth it for the adjustability. Our stock system is a curse!

West
Old 03-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sweanders
Or they guy doesn't want to risk the car. You should have seen some of the passes I did in the 24 hour race last weekend. Most extreme was passing two cars on the outside..
This was race licensing clinc ("final exam"), so we were all being a bit catious to not have an incident and upset the evaluators.

Also, the POC uses a 13/13 rules that punishes any kind of contact with probabtion and/or suspension, probably more so during the clinic.

Cheers,
Old 03-06-2009, 04:46 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Krokodil
I lost the engine in Vegas. We are building a new engine, so if all goes well I will be at Willow for the event.

Cheers,
When you say you "lost the engine in Vegas" that must have been some Poker game!
What really happened? You are in the Cayman yes? from the short part I saw of your car in the video it looked like you were going well. I think the Cayman could make an awesome track car but there are integral issues with the engine design that might be a big stumbling block. Same as the Boxters and some 996s.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
When you say you "lost the engine in Vegas" that must have been some Poker game!
What really happened? You are in the Cayman yes? from the short part I saw of your car in the video it looked like you were going well. I think the Cayman could make an awesome track car but there are integral issues with the engine design that might be a big stumbling block. Same as the Boxters and some 996s.
Yes, some game, and when we were rained out on Day 1 I had to explain to my wife that our visit to an establishment called "Pole Position" was actually to the local indoor Kart track and not a strip club. I think she believed me.

Seriously, the video was from a prior event at Willow Springs (not quite a remote as Alice Springs, but close). Vegas was in early Feb.

We are working on correcting as many as the inherent deficiencies as possible, but...

It is hard to know what failed first, but I ultimately lost the number one rod bearing and then poof. Could have been and old overrev, oil starvation, or both. The engine had about 800 street hours and 60 hard track hours, but was not loaded hard when it let go.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Cool in-car track video