Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cool in-car track video

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:31 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
The roll cage will weigh in around 100lbs at least though. That's the beast I'm fighting right now. I'm removing a bunch of weight in hopes that after the cage install, I wont be any heavier than before the cage.

Remember... I already have the 4 point roll bar with the horizontal and diagonal brace. I'm just connecting to that to go forward on the drivers door side and a cross-brace to the other side for support.

Honestly, I'm not worried about rolling the car and the roof caving in since the roll bar is there. What I'm worried about is going sideways and someone T-bone'ing me into my left hip area.

So... this last week, I got rid of the Recaro Speed 5... 31lbs (reclinable seat factory made for a 5 point harness) and got a 6.1 lbs OMP Carbon Kevlar seat (with a Halo). That alone addresses a lot of my safety concerns.

I've lost 25lbs (yeah... cheaper than carbon fiber baby...).

And I'm getting ready to cut all the crap out of the back of the car (ie., spare tire well, etc...).

I'm also getting ready to do the Kokeln aluminum torsion bar/spring plate deal (another 25lbs off...).

And, bigger CMW wheels (to fit the larger brakes) in conjunction with Hoosiers will knock off a good deal of unsprung weight.

So 100lbs is easily in range. In fact, most 951 race cars are almost exactly 200lbs lighter than my car even with all the the lightweight crap I already have.

TonyG
Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 95ONE
You saw the 911 slide out. (your brakes) then you tried to pass him when he was in a slide pointed your way. ..... bad driving on his part but.......
I gave him room since he "broke the plane".

I braked and dove to the inside and punched it before he went sideways. Once he went sideways I didn't know if he would save it or not. So I let off the gas. But when I saw him cross over I hit the brakes, but I could only brake "so hard"... and there was no place for me to go as I was already hugging the right side of the track. The rest is history.

No matter... I'd race with him again. He's a good driver. **** happens.

TonyG
Old 03-04-2009, 04:26 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Looking good Tony. The white 911 seemed to have you in corner entry speed (which is normal for them) and perhaps occasionally under brakes. Car looks stable though.
I have seen the incident before from your car and seeing it from the 911 gives a much better perspective. Personally I thought he could have saved it, but I wasn't in the car.
I'll be interested how you find the Halo? I had something similar once and took it back to the store. It was a nightmare on a street driven vehicle but your circumstances are probably different from mine.
So I thought you swore by those Nittos. Still the Hoosiers should be quicker.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:52 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neat video Tony, thanks for posting!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyG
I've lost 25lbs (yeah... cheaper than carbon fiber baby...).
TonyG
Oh yeah

I thought about taking a slim fast can and putting it in my sig/avy or something. "the cheepest kind of horsepower". haha
Old 03-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Tony,

It's been talked about here before, but I wouldn't expect to really get 25# out with the Kokeln torsion bar carrier. I suspect that figure includes removal of the heavy torsion bars, but not sure if it includes the extra weight of coil-overs. Anyway, the factory torsion bar carrier when stripped only weighs about 25 pounds (23 I think), less if you trim off a few unneeded pieces. The ease of adjustability alone may justify the Kokeln piece, but don't expect much weight reduction from the carrier itself.

West
Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Weston Dillard
Hey Tony,

It's been talked about here before, but I wouldn't expect to really get 25# out with the Kokeln torsion bar carrier. I suspect that figure includes removal of the heavy torsion bars, but not sure if it includes the extra weight of coil-overs. Anyway, the factory torsion bar carrier when stripped only weighs about 25 pounds (23 I think), less if you trim off a few unneeded pieces. The ease of adjustability alone may justify the Kokeln piece, but don't expect much weight reduction from the carrier itself.

West

You're probably right. But its gotta be considerable lighter than the steel housing and steel spring plates, but more importantly it will change the roll center and will allow much easier rear alignment.

TonyG
Old 03-04-2009, 02:08 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome vid Tony

Can I get dibs on your widened Cups?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:18 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool Video. Your a really good driver Tony.

25.lbs?...I met you once at the German Auto Fest a long time ago. You didn't look that chuncky to me. You looked good. About 5' 9" and 170lbs, sound about right? Something change?

I went the opposite way. I put on 25lbs since then. But I gained it in the gym and kept a 32" waist. 6'1", 195lbs. 8% bodyfat and I worked my *** off getting there.

Anyway, great video. Something to be said about driving your car to the track, kicking ***, and then driving home.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Is that a yellow 993 targa racing? wow, i've seen it all now lol

nice videos. wish we could race like that in december around here .. .
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're probably right. But its gotta be considerable lighter than the steel housing and steel spring plates, but more importantly it will change the roll center and will allow much easier rear alignment.

TonyG
Tony, I looked on the site. I really think theirs is steel, not aluminum. Only the side plates are aluminum!

Rear Suspension Kit
rear suspension

This is the perfect solution for you racers. Kokeln offers a complete replacement rear suspension that eliminates the torsion bars and torsion bar housing for all 944s and 968. The kit includes; complete lightweight steel suspension tube, 935-style 6061-T6 adjustable spring plates, solid bushings and solid upper torsion bar mounts. The pivot mounting points of the spring plates have been raised 1-inch effectively lowering the roll center of the rear of the car. This results in easier more predictable turn-in while cornering. The adjustable spring plates are designed to separate toe and camber adjustments for easy alignment changes. When racers are looking to save ounces, the Kokeln Suspension will save you 25 lbs!

KI105 944, 968 83-95

Last edited by 95ONE; 03-04-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Look at the cars (39 total in that race) that I ran against. There might been 1 or 2 besides me that are street driven cars.

TonyG
... and one of them was the camera car in the first video ... a street-driven LI class Cayman S running at 3335 lbs (started 7th finished 5th)

I added another video for one of the San Diego contingent. While it does not show Tony (he was long gone), it does show some nice footage of a 944 (968?) V2 R4 car racing with me, another Cayman, and a 911 Targa (yes, for real) all in R6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXlUxX2Mo7o

Here is some more video from mid-race showing the Targa going off in Turn 9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kekolV98M_I

And the last three laps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VQRg9nv7yU

Enjoy.

DAS
Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Looking good Tony. The white 911 seemed to have you in corner entry speed (which is normal for them) and perhaps occasionally under brakes.
I will say this... you need to see the entire video. This clip has large portions of it "snipped out".

The deal is that I was driving at 85% saving my tires, and literally driving in my rear view mirror trying to keep a safe distance out in front. The problem came when lap traffic showed up. And, as usual, it's seems that this always occurs in the worst spots on the track. I was slowing down to try to time where I would engage the lap traffic as well as trying to gauge where the guys in back of me would catch up when I had to slow down for the lap traffic. It was pretty fun using some of the lap traffic as "Picks"

It's really nothing more than a game of Chess... at speed.

Perhaps someone can get Martin to post the entire unedited race video.

Someone contact Martin Reinhardt at www.reinhardtracing.com and see if he'll post the unedited video.

TonyG
Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Krokodil
... and one of them was the camera car in the first video ... a street-driven LI class Cayman S running at 3335 lbs (started 7th finished 5th)

I added another video for one of the San Diego contingent. While it does not show Tony (he was long gone), it does show some nice footage of a 944 (968?) V2 R4 car racing with me, another Cayman, and a 911 Targa (yes, for real) all in R6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXlUxX2Mo7o

Here is some more video from mid-race showing the Targa going off in Turn 9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kekolV98M_I

And the last three laps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VQRg9nv7yU

Enjoy.

DAS
I was wondering who that was!

I was feeling stressed just watching that start from the inside of your car!

You gonna be at the Triple Crown?

TonyG
Old 03-04-2009, 11:32 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

DFASTEST951

Yeah... I put on a few pounds over what... 5 years since I met you. I made a choice to change my diet permanently. Nothing major, but over about 4 months, I dropped about 25lbs and have hovered there for almost a year now. Get this... I didn't even have to give up my red wine (CAB).

So now I'm down to 163-165 from 185-187.

Anyway, have your girlfriend PM me a username/password ....... :-)

Late,

TonyG

Quick Reply: Cool in-car track video