Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A Vitesse Tale. My impressions of the V-flex and turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why will everybody else tell you what kind of turbo they are selling?

I understand if he wants to protect his business. But I would like to know what I am buying.

No biggie. Just curious.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Here's some pics I took today. Washed her up some(just rinse) and took it for a little drive after the new hose was put on.

I think I scared a couple of kids today with my backfires...
<images removed>
LOOKING GOOD!!!
Damn those monkeys work wonders!!
Old 03-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I need a mechanic BAD. Anyone you guys can recomend? I hate bugging people to come over and help out when I really don't know what the hell im doing anyhow and they end up doing all the work. Not fair

I'd rather pay someone for their trouble.
What are your requirements? Tommy Florio in Newburgh is top notch and worth the money - the shop is Advance Auto and it's nearly, if not completely, Porsche only.

There's a shop near me that I use for things I don't have equipment for (like wheel alignments and inspections) - I've trained them well about foreign sports cars. They respect my vehicles and are careful, but haven't seen "all the issues" yet.

I also know a 944 guy that moonlights on the side. He has a garage in Marlborough.

I'm not likely to come over and help you out... but will help you out if you come down to my garage! (Only because then my wife can't yell at me for not being around.)
Old 03-05-2009, 06:55 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kool

I understand if he wants to protect his business. But I would like to know what I am buying.

No biggie. Just curious.
Last I knew Lindsey wouldn't tell you what you got either. There's more than enough good reviews for you to know that you are getting a good product. He just has hours upon hours of R&D into choosing the right turbo size to get the amazing results he does get. If he gave away that information then nobody else would have to do the work and they could just sell the same turbo. Businesses wouldn't be in business if they told everyone their secrets now would they?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kook

No biggie. Just curious.
Honestly lots of vendors out there keep a few secrets up their sleeves. Everyone makes this huge deal about it. If its such a big deal to you, I'd say buy from someone else. For guys like me I'm looking for a proven product thats plug and play. Something that will require very little effort on my part to maintain and use. Johns tunes/motronic modification products have a pretty serious reputation for being the best. No one makes the kind of stuff on the market he is right now(unless you go standalone). Standalone are for DIY guys. I'm not and never will be a DIY guy. I wanna plug it in dial it up and go.

With this turbo kit my fuel, timing, will change for me to give me the best results even if I change my boost on the fly. I have over boost protection. I can log and record all sorts of useful information with the SMT-6. I can run e-85 ethanol in my car(this is a BIG one for me). I can set my own rev limits, etc etc.

I'd say his software and maf setup is about as close as you can get to standalone without going standalone and he's already done all the leg work for you. Which is something I respect and I'm willing to pay for. There are those out there that could care less. They WANT to do all the work themselves because thats how they learn. They'd rather know every single intimate detail about how everything works and how they can modify it. I really could care less about all that noise. I'm a driver. I just want to get in the car know its safe, and go have fun.

This turbo spools just as fast as my old K26 turbo and makes a helluva lot more power/tq doing it. Most importantly it will hold all that boost to red line. I'm running 3-4 pounds of boost less than my old setup and its ALOT quicker(especially up top where the old one would die off).

I was happy to spend the money at Lindsey and have them do all the work and the car ran bad ***. There is only one other lister on this board to my knowledge who has made 300whp on pump fuel with a k26. I was more than happy to pay John for his research and products. I'm sure after I have a little time to put this car through the paces I'll be just as satisfied.

You gotta pay to play.
Originally Posted by Duke
LOOKING GOOD!!!
Damn those monkeys work wonders!!
haha. Yeah those little boogies work wonders don't they?
Originally Posted by Van
What are your requirements? Tommy Florio in Newburgh is top notch and worth the money - the shop is Advance Auto and it's nearly, if not completely, Porsche only.

There's a shop near me that I use for things I don't have equipment for (like wheel alignments and inspections) - I've trained them well about foreign sports cars. They respect my vehicles and are careful, but haven't seen "all the issues" yet.

I also know a 944 guy that moonlights on the side. He has a garage in Marlborough.

I'm not likely to come over and help you out... but will help you out if you come down to my garage! (Only because then my wife can't yell at me for not being around.)
Option 1 sounds GREAT! However thats a big of a treck for me(about 45min). The cloeser they are the better. I'd love their info though if you could pm. The second one sounds great because they must be close(you live near me).

I'd appreciate any info you could send my way. I'm going to need a place to do basic maintaince and upkeep. I also would like someone comfortable with tearing into stuff if I need them too. Thanks a BUNCH!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Looks great John! How do the wheels fit? Any rubbing? Whats the offset and what size spacers are you using?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Honestly lots of vendors out there keep a few secrets up their sleeves. Everyone makes this huge deal about it. If its such a big deal to you, I'd say buy from someone else. For guys like me I'm looking for a proven product thats plug and play. Something that will require very little effort on my part to maintain and use. Johns tunes/motronic modification products have a pretty serious reputation for being the best. No one makes the kind of stuff on the market he is right now(unless you go standalone). Standalone are for DIY guys. I'm not and never will be a DIY guy. I wanna plug it in dial it up and go.

With this turbo kit my fuel, timing, will change for me to give me the best results even if I change my boost on the fly. I have over boost protection. I can log and record all sorts of useful information with the SMT-6. I can run e-85 ethanol in my car(this is a BIG one for me). I can set my own rev limits, etc etc.

I'd say his software and maf setup is about as close as you can get to standalone without going standalone and he's already done all the leg work for you. Which is something I respect and I'm willing to pay for. There are those out there that could care less. They WANT to do all the work themselves because thats how they learn. They'd rather know every single intimate detail about how everything works and how they can modify it. I really could care less about all that noise. I'm a driver. I just want to get in the car know its safe, and go have fun.

This turbo spools just as fast as my old K26 turbo and makes a helluva lot more power/tq doing it. Most importantly it will hold all that boost to red line. I'm running 3-4 pounds of boost less than my old setup and its ALOT quicker(especially up top where the old one would die off).

I was happy to spend the money at Lindsey and have them do all the work and the car ran bad ***. There is only one other lister on this board to my knowledge who has made 300whp on pump fuel with a k26. I was more than happy to pay John for his research and products. I'm sure after I have a little time to put this car through the paces I'll be just as satisfied.

You gotta pay to play.
I totally agree.

I wasn't questioning your decision.

But anyway. Car looks good sounds like it runs good too.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:46 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Kool
I totally agree.

I wasn't questioning your decision.

But anyway. Car looks good sounds like it runs good too.
Yeah when the weather is a little better i'll try and get some footage up for you guys. Best of luck in whatever route you decide to take. There are alot of good products on the market for these cars.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

i got a shop for you right here in NP. There great guys and all into motorsport themselves. The head tech john is extremely smart. i have brought him problems with all my cars i have had and he is top notch fixing them. let me know if you want there number. there about 20 minutes MAX from kingston.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:18 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
i got a shop for you right here in NP. There great guys and all into motorsport themselves. The head tech john is extremely smart. i have brought him problems with all my cars i have had and he is top notch fixing them. let me know if you want there number. there about 20 minutes MAX from kingston.
Yes please!

So I finally went out today and bought my adapter plug for my SMT6. I finally loaded in the tune. I noticed right off the bat that the car got leaner at idle and richer under boost. I went from 11.5-11.8's to 11.1's. The car feels slightly slower which makes sense if im not running quite as lean.

Now I just need to learn to use the SMT6 and fine tune everything from here. Can someone tell me where on the SMT6 interface it shows boost pressure? I really watched the boost gauge today and im running a solid 16psi.

Any imput on where to go in the SMT6 from you other V-flex users out there? I'm just going to have to start to play around with this thing. Wheres Jim when you need him?

Car runs very very strong still. Zero issues thus far. I went to the store today and bought all my detailing equipment. Everything im going to need to restore this car(it had alot of stuff mixed up in the clear coat from it sitting all this time). I snaped a pic of it after I detailed it. Here's what she looks like now.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

I can tell you exactly what a Vitesse Stage II is! It's K-26 replica exhaust housing, T04E compressor housing, some very special wheels, and a modified bearing center section for better oiling!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 PM
tone3721
Drifting

Received 437 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by RPHARRIS
I can tell you exactly what a Vitesse Stage II is! It's K-26 replica exhaust housing, T04E compressor housing, some very special wheels, and a modified bearing center section for better oiling!
Thats what my stage 3 seemed to be. I remember when it was pulled going man the exhaust side looks stock.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:11 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Great write up John. I would have liked to help you out with this had we both been in Dallas. Glad you like the set up. I could not be happier with my V-flex.

How does it start on a cold motor?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by azmi951
Great write up John. I would have liked to help you out with this had we both been in Dallas. Glad you like the set up. I could not be happier with my V-flex.

How does it start on a cold motor?
Fires right up no issues. Even in 9 degree weather
Old 03-08-2009, 12:39 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

This thread makes me wantto spend waaay too much money... seriously. I love your car john and have yet to experience the feel from a Vitesse setup. Keep up the good work. Only one request, get that TRS adjustable spoiler... it is beyond sexy

Quick Reply: A Vitesse Tale. My impressions of the V-flex and turbo.