Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo Removal Problem HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:53 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo Removal Problem HELP!!!

So I am in the process of removing my turbo to install a rebuilt one. I have remove 3 of the 4 bolts from the turbo to the cross over pipe. The last one left is the one with the welded nut. IT is stuck and wont give at all. I have tried heat, PB Blaster, hitting it, etc.. and I cant get it to break loose. I am to the point where Im thinking of cutting the xover pipe. Any other ideas on how to break it loose.

If I cut it my concern is cutting it straight so i can send it to Lindsey to have them put the Vband flange on there. Any help is hugely appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
Old 02-28-2009, 04:02 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha dude, I had the exact same problem. I bought a ton of tools and sockets and such trying to get it off, eventually rounded off the bolt entirely.

I finally solved it the fun way. Pics attached.

I am just replacing the crossover.
Attached Images   
Old 02-28-2009, 04:29 PM
SSI Performance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian

I would use a six point short wrench with some valve lapping compound and a pry bar under wrench pull up. If you have an air compressor an air chisel will work to cut though weld on nut then shear bolt off. A sawzall will work to Lenox Blade for cast iron pipe MEDIUM CARBIDE GRIT will cut the bolt off.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Worst cast, get an extra long 6 point box end wrench -- heat it with MAP gas so you can bend it to fit -- then bang the wrench with a metal hammer. It's a very effective "impact" wrench. Wear goggles in case the wrench breaks.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:37 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

I just use the torch until the bolt is red hot, and then it comes out very easily. No need to break or cut anything.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:58 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by lee101315
I just use the torch until the bolt is red hot, and then it comes out very easily. No need to break or cut anything.
This is really the best way, if you have the heat.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:00 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by special tool
This is really the best way, if you have the heat.
I have come to find it is much easier to justify to the wife the cost of new parts by breaking the old ones trying to remove them for some "routine" maintenance... Good for me she doesn't know cars....
Old 02-28-2009, 08:27 PM
xupkid2
Pro

All along I had been trying to undo the bolt from underneath the car and leverage from under there is very difficult. The ball of my right hand is numb and swollen right now from trying to break that bolt free. What I finaly did was removed all bolts from the turbo besides the one I couldnt get off. This allowed me a little more room. Then I could rotate the turbo a few inches, just enough to be able to get an extension and wobble onto the bolt from the top side. Basically I went inbetween the balance shaft cover & under the down pipe. Then I heated the bolt with MAP for about 20 min and I finally got her to move a little bit. Getting it out from there was not very easy either but I finally got it done. No cutting or breaking. I can't believe I was actually patient enough to fingure out a solution but boy was that a satisfying feeling when it was out and in my hand. I almost gave up when the long bolt for the turbo mount felt like it was going to strip. For those removing a turbo I highly suggest getting a very good 6mm allen for removing the turbo bolts (Craftsman worked well). That, heat and some patience should get the job done.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Brian

Quick Reply: Turbo Removal Problem HELP!!!