Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Leaking Cylinder/Rotor Melted

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009 | 09:33 PM
rad_951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Cylinder/Rotor Melted

Attached is a picture showing the ignition rotor on my car following a track day. All of the parts of the ignition system are new stock parts with four track days and a little street driving. The coil is a MSD Blaster 2 model. The engine had a compression leak in cylinder one after the track day. The car did not loose coolant and I do not see any coolant in the oil. The water temps stayed between the middle two marks the entire track day. The car has a gutted cat, Vitesse chip, 3 bar fpr, flapper, and boost controller set for 14psi. The car ran on 92 octane.

I assume something caused greater resistance in the spark plug air gap. Could the boost pressure and heat cause this? Did the coil, leaking head gasket, or leaking valve cause this?

I will pull the head and take more pictures.

Thanks.

Tony
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2009 | 09:44 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, I was just looking at Mallory MSD components. There is a warming in the MSB applications about the problem of pulsed sparks ionizing the air inside of the distributor. They recommended that you allow the distributor cavity to breath by placing small holes in the distributor. Looks like you were generating excessive heat due to the ionized air (plasma).

A quick check is to go back to the factory ignition setup and see if the problem goes away.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 02-27-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2009 | 10:11 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

We have seen the rotor problem before, go back to factory ignition components.

Someone was running a MSD box and kept melting the rotor. Which was one of the reason we came up with the wasted spark system to provide a strong spark with no ill effects.
Old 02-27-2009 | 11:31 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a problem with opening up the distributor with air breathing holes. I have had many bad days after washing a car and getting water into the distributor. If they start, they misfire and run on a reduced number of cylinders until the water dries up.

Separate coils (wasted spark) appears to be the best upgrade.

Quick Reply: Leaking Cylinder/Rotor Melted