Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ape stage 2 vs linsey max chips+ boost enhancer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 01:47 PM
gtomarty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ape stage 2 vs linsey max chips+ boost enhancer?

My 951 came to me with ape stage 2 kit with banjo bolt, the car runs great, is there any major change going to the max chips and boost enhancer. If there is no major change I'll just save up for a 3in exhaust. Thanks for the help.
I have run a search but could not find anyone who has used both
Marty
Old 02-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

I would save your money.

If you have APE stage2 and banjo bolt the next step is DP wastegate and a manual boost controller. And it is down hill from there.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

General rule of thumb is that APE chips seem to run rich in the mid range and lean at high RPM. I have seen cars with APE chips dyno with decent AFR's, so there is a chance that your chips are just fine. My opinion is that Max chips are a superior product, that give better drivability, and throttle response. They may also run a little safer up top helping to protect your headgasket. If I was going to step up to a 3" exhaust I would suggest springing for the Max chips as well. The new chips can be ordered tailored to your mods, which is a good thing since the larger exhaust *may* cause you to run a little leaner.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM
gtomarty
Intermediate

Can you use the max chip with the banjo bolt? its boosting up to 15psi that is were I plan to stay
Old 02-26-2009, 02:53 PM
944CS
Drifting

Originally Posted by gtomarty
My 951 came to me with ape stage 2 kit with banjo bolt, the car runs great, is there any major change going to the max chips and boost enhancer. If there is no major change I'll just save up for a 3in exhaust. Thanks for the help.
I have run a search but could not find anyone who has used both
Marty
Save up for exhaust and don't run the APE with the boost enhancer
Old 02-26-2009, 06:48 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gtomarty
Can you use the max chip with the banjo bolt? its boosting up to 15psi that is were I plan to stay
Not recommended, in fact the jetted banjo bolt was the dumbest thing Autothority ever did. It is suceptible to clogging, thereby causing an overboost condition.

For boost control you want a Lindsey Boost Enhancer, or Manual/Electric boost controller. And before you buy either, make SURE you have a real boost gauge, they are cheap, head gaskets aren't. People run these things blind using the factory boost gauge and then have no clue when the engine goes poof.

I also recommend bypassing the cycling valve when installing any aftermarket boost manipulation device.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Dom1
Intermediate

I had the ape with the banjo bolt setup. The boost enhancer with the max chips is superior. The boost enhancer brings the boost on sooner than the banjo bolt and it also increased the max boost a bit and the max chips seem to make the car run better and i am more confident that the air/fuel ratios are correct with them. A definite improvment in my case.

Dom
Old 02-27-2009, 12:55 AM
gtomarty
Intermediate

Thanks Dom thats what I was looking for! I will start there and move up as funds alow
Old 02-27-2009, 01:06 AM
marcodarq
Intermediate

Default NO Autothority!!!

I've run the APE stage 2 stuff, had the S2 chips originally wit the banjo, the LBE worked much better than the bolt and was more tuneable. car ran ok, and you can run up to 16lbs boost with those chips according to Min, when i talked to him on the phone. However, i tried their MAf set up, needed some help and they told me to buzz off!!! based on that, i did, and tell you to throw thier crap in the trash and get the Lindsey Kit. Dave and Mike have offered me excellent customer service and support and their products are great. since i've tossed the APE ****, i'm gonna get the MAX chips.
3 inch exhaust won't hurt you either!
marco
Old 02-27-2009, 01:27 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just have to remember that if you bypass the cycling valve you will lose the safety of the stock knock control system.
Contrary to what is often said, you can most definitely use the lindsey boost enhancer and the jetted banjo bolt together. The LBE acts like the gain (the quickness of the initial boost rise), but the jetted bolt, together with the cycling valve, still determines your max boost (unless you set the LBE higher than what the jetted banjo bolt would deliver on boost). This is not bad, and you still retain stock knock control (again, providing you don't go too high with the LBE)
As many have said, definitely get an aftermarket boost gauge and also a wideband (this will give you alot of information before you decide a different route).
Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 AM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have APE2 chips in my car and have zero complaints about them. The APE chips and jetted banjo bolt have caused no issues in the 6-7 years that I have owned the car (this includes multiple autocrosses and 3-4 hours of track time). There are probably much better products out there, but the APE chips are not necessarily garbage either.

All that said, I have had a set of MAX chips sitting on my desk for about 8 months ... I should probably put them in the car. =p
Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Dom1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
You just have to remember that if you bypass the cycling valve you will lose the safety of the stock knock control system.
Contrary to what is often said, you can most definitely use the lindsey boost enhancer and the jetted banjo bolt together. The LBE acts like the gain (the quickness of the initial boost rise), but the jetted bolt, together with the cycling valve, still determines your max boost (unless you set the LBE higher than what the jetted banjo bolt would deliver on boost). This is not bad, and you still retain stock knock control (again, providing you don't go too high with the LBE)
As many have said, definitely get an aftermarket boost gauge and also a wideband (this will give you alot of information before you decide a different route).
That has not been my experience. By leaving in the banjo bolt with the LBE you will seriously overboost and it is not recommended. The LBE not only completely blocks off all flow to the cycling valve until a set pressure which makes it a better option than the banjo bolt but it also increased max boost more than the banjo bolt did so it must have a restriction effect as well. This is with the LBE on the stock setting
Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CurlyDE
I still have APE2 chips in my car and have zero complaints about them. The APE chips and jetted banjo bolt have caused no issues in the 6-7 years that I have owned the car (this includes multiple autocrosses and 3-4 hours of track time). There are probably much better products out there, but the APE chips are not necessarily garbage either.

All that said, I have had a set of MAX chips sitting on my desk for about 8 months ... I should probably put them in the car. =p
And a Tial sitting in my garage. You should get on that.

Quick Reply: ape stage 2 vs linsey max chips+ boost enhancer?