Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear wing options???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:23 PM
nyysr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Because I can. That's the glorious thing about the internet, I can voice my opinion. If you don't want it, then don't read what I write.

yea your right your just another internet **** and an .

thanks for the info 95ONE, i tried pming the guy but no luck.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:41 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Well for what it's worth I spent about 20 minutes trying to find more information for you but had no luck. Guess I won't look any more for you.

You could try this one though, would look about the same: http://www.jcwhitney.com/BAT_SCORCHE...;0;0;2001931;0
Old 09-28-2009, 10:55 PM
nyysr
Intermediate

if you are seriously trying to help then i thankyou for your time.
i tried clicking on the link but it doesnt work.
but again thanks for your time.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:18 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

As the OP on this thread, lets get it back on track a little.

As far as the wing I have goes, it's still on the car. It is solid. I have no data whatsoever if it actually does anything but my times at the track have improved over the last few outings. Unfortunately I can't tell what these improvements have come from. New tyres, new turbo, new suspension setup, rear wing?? Who knows. That is the biggest problem with being impatient. You slap too many things on at the same time and can't give quantifiable data on any of it. Well you can but you'd have to run some very specific tests all of which take time and money.

ps good news is the other motor is re awakening. Saw 13psi at 2500rpm on the big turbo which is very exciting!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:45 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patrick, be more patient!
It's also possible that you are becoming a better drover...and none of the other crap helped at all.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:10 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Patrick, I want to get a custom wing for my car once I do the turbo conversion (968). I want to try something different from the factory turbo RS look. I like the one in your avatar, and the like. Is a lexan hatch required for this? I have a glass 924 hatch I was hoping to use. I know lexan is lighter, and for all intents and purposes it's da shet, but mine will be a road car / DD once in a while. The lexan will either turn yellow, or get scratched, etc.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
Patrick, be more patient!
It's also possible that you are becoming a better drover...and none of the other crap helped at all.
I didn't throw that into the mix but I'm sure I've improved too. Having spent a bit more time on the track than the last few years recently has certainly helped. On another note, I've actually just done a track day in the US outside of Chicago in a track prepped BMW M3. Lots of fun and it's made me more determined to build up a lighter, stronger, more responsive track car. At this stage it will be out of my street car. Combined with the 3L motor, this will certainly be a LOT quicker than my current car.

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Patrick, I want to get a custom wing for my car once I do the turbo conversion (968). I want to try something different from the factory turbo RS look. I like the one in your avatar, and the like. Is a lexan hatch required for this? I have a glass 924 hatch I was hoping to use. I know lexan is lighter, and for all intents and purposes it's da shet, but mine will be a road car / DD once in a while. The lexan will either turn yellow, or get scratched, etc.
Yes Arash, you do need a Lexan rear hatch. Well if you want to do it the same way as most have. You could possibly do it in the way that some others have by using those supports that attach to the rear of the car but I'm not sure of their legality on the street, nor do I particularly like the look. You'll see some of these examples in this thread actually. The downside of doing it like on my car is that it renders access to the rear hatch area via the hatch itself obsolete as you have to fasten it down. You can still put things in there via the cabin but not conveniently. This is really for a race application and we swap mine over to a glass hatch and 968rs spoiler for the street. It also saves the Lexan from prematurely aging. Lexan is pretty hard to get down here so I have to try and keep mine in good condition for as long as I can.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:15 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

How much of a PITA is it to swap hatches? Does it get easier/faster? I've only done it once (to reseal it) and I took my time, and I wouldn't look forward to swapping one for a track event. But you're right, you need to preserve the lexan.

I wish one of those strosek hatches was pretty, then I could just buy one of those and stick a fat wing on it. I also wish the hatch wasn't so large... like, D pillars would have been nice...
Old 10-01-2009, 05:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
How much of a PITA is it to swap hatches? Does it get easier/faster? I've only done it once (to reseal it) and I took my time, and I wouldn't look forward to swapping one for a track event. But you're right, you need to preserve the lexan.

I wish one of those strosek hatches was pretty, then I could just buy one of those and stick a fat wing on it. I also wish the hatch wasn't so large... like, D pillars would have been nice...
You need 2 people. I'm lucky and have a great friend/mechanic who does the bulk of my work, this included. The wing also provides a nice table to put things on between runs.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:01 PM
MK 951 TURBO S
2nd Gear

WERE DID YOU BLACK OUT YOUR REAR TAIL LIGHT THATS SWEET
Old 10-05-2009, 08:07 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by MK 951 TURBO S
WERE DID YOU BLACK OUT YOUR REAR TAIL LIGHT THATS SWEET
? me, or someone else?
Just went through the whole thread.. mine are the only one's blacked out..
Hours of spraying spray on tint. Actually a $10 can of VHT blackout paint to be specific. Went very slow. 7-10 light coats. Screwed up a lot and cleaned off and started over many times at first though. It's decent, but not truly professional.

Last edited by 95ONE; 10-05-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:12 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, 95ONE, if I may chime in and answer with a better solution. You go to a body shop. Get them to prep your tail lights, and clear coat them with black toner added to it. It goes on as paint. Polishes as paint. And it doesn't get any more professional that that. I took top three best paint finishes at the Scottsdale auctions a few years back. It's even darker than in the pics as the flash was catching the tail lights. At night, the lights shine through perfectly and I've never got a mention from it with all my traffic stops. Except how awesome my car is. I kept it a secret long enough. Not too many people know about it. Way better than the cheap can spray. It flakes off, never lasts, and even when it first goes on, it looks like ****. I did all my lenses except my fogs of course. Hope it helps. Sorry about the hijack.

Can't believe this thread has gone on so long. I can't stand these wings on our cars. Looks worse than the spray on tint. The solution would be to get the 968 Turbo S replica wing. That's just my .02 and getting back on track.
Attached Images   
Old 10-05-2009, 11:16 PM
95ONE
Race Car

^^^^^ THE way to do it.. We have a painter that has done many Cherry red clears over rx7 tail lenses.. keeps them all one color.. Looks perfect. So certainly, same goes for a clear with a dark toner.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 PM
mike10562004
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolin51
any pictures?
yeah well i scraped this idea after trying to mount the huge bases it didnt work out well it did but it looked like crap so now im working on mounting an adj. aluminum one
Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Actually, 95ONE, if I may chime in and answer with a better solution. You go to a body shop. Get them to prep your tail lights, and clear coat them with black toner added to it. It goes on as paint. Polishes as paint. And it doesn't get any more professional that that. I took top three best paint finishes at the Scottsdale auctions a few years back. It's even darker than in the pics as the flash was catching the tail lights. At night, the lights shine through perfectly and I've never got a mention from it with all my traffic stops. Except how awesome my car is. I kept it a secret long enough. Not too many people know about it. Way better than the cheap can spray. It flakes off, never lasts, and even when it first goes on, it looks like ****. I did all my lenses except my fogs of course. Hope it helps. Sorry about the hijack.

Can't believe this thread has gone on so long. I can't stand these wings on our cars. Looks worse than the spray on tint. The solution would be to get the 968 Turbo S replica wing. That's just my .02 and getting back on track.
Yeah but remember Joe, I'm swapping out this wing/lexan rear window combo to my glass with 968 rs rear wing for the road so hopefully that meets your eye a little better. I've not actually taken any pics of the 968 one yet. I bought it from a Dutch vendor and it has a quite nice c/f centre piece but on close inspection it wasn't worth all the hassle and cost to do it. I'd wait for the one from D9 if I was to do this again.

Quick Reply: Rear wing options???