Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Porsche 951/2 calendar for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:39 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do magazines like 911 & Porsche World get around this then? In every issue car magazines print pictures of cars and make money from this wheather the car is new or old?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:48 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

The WOR calender has pictures of cars which are in production. Ours aren't so it's possible it could be a loophole
Old 02-23-2009, 09:50 PM
future
Banned

Here we go: http://boingboing.net/2008/01/25/bla...ng-club-c.html
Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"PORSCHE N.A. owns all rights to images, fascimiles, photographs, reproductions and likenesses to their products as a whole and without prejudice. Reproduction in any form for profit or non-profit endeavors would require the expressed written approval of PORSCHE N.A. prior to release, distribution or sale of applied format. Submittals in triplicate must be provided along with appropriate applications no less than ninety calender prior to requested approval and/or release date. Acceptance of application shall not be deemed as a contract, expressed, implied or otherwise between PORSCHE N.A. and the applicant. PORSCHE N.A. will not be liable for content not exclusively approved for use."

Been here not long ago...."Girls of CPR"...and why my legal dept. would not let mine get off the ground.

Magazines are allowed to reproduce as part of all car companies agreement with the press...FYI.

Hopefully you will have better luck, although I think if you wish to open it up to sponsors, it should be unilateral. Not just tuners.

Just my .02
Old 02-23-2009, 10:23 PM
purple_rado
Racer

i'd be interested and totally willing to pay/contribute
-vic
Old 02-23-2009, 10:23 PM
future
Banned

Hopefully you will have better luck, although I think if you wish to open it up to sponsors, it should be unilateral. Not just tuners.
Patrick - I think you have a good point there mate which I will look into however what about the "Creative Commons License" which companies like Wikipedia use on there images?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:27 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ian Carr
Very hard to do because legally Porsche owns any pictures of your car used to make money.

We ran into the same problem on a couple other forums. From what I recall, Ford sued a mustang forum because they sold calenders with pictures of mustangs as the primary focus.

Correct me if I am wrong, that is just some thing I recall hearing.
Exactly right. Porsche owns the 951 image and the Porsche badge. It cannot be reproduced, in any way, EVEN for charity. The WOR calenders faced all of these issues.
...and no, you won't get away with it, unless by "getting away with it" includes losing everything that you own.

Otherwise, I'd love one. I think I own the only nautic blue 951 on the board.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by future
Patrick - I think you have a good point there mate which I will look into however what about the "Creative Commons License" which companies like Wikipedia use on there images?
Can't say for sure...

I am only relating the responses I have actually seen. I am not trying to discourage you in any capacity, just sharing my recent transgression with PORSCHE N.A.

I say go for it.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

How about we try the 'not for sale to the public" angle - kind of like a club newsletter but a little nicer! Rennlist membership would be needed to purchase.

So this means I have to finish some projects for September?!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:44 PM
future
Banned

Chris I like your way of thinking lol bit Like Duty Free

Yes we could put that at the bottom of each page!

Patrick - Are PORSCHE N.A. really that strict mate? I honestly don't see them taking anybody to court especially as our cars are all modified with third parts products etc?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

"PORSCHE N.A. owns all rights to images, fascimiles, photographs, reproductions and likenesses to their products as a whole and without prejudice.
Not that I do not believe it, but this is in all practicality unenforceable... By strict interpretation they own every picture that I have ever taken of my 951, I'd like to see how that works.

Sometimes, I wish I was a lawyer just to shred stuff like this (and that indemnity clause that every big buyer puts in a contract that says its my fault as the supplier, even if the damages arise because of something they did)....
Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 PM
future
Banned

Sometimes, I wish I was a lawyer just to shred stuff like this (and that indemnity clause that every big buyer puts in a contract that says its my fault as the supplier if they did it)....
Some laws simply suck mate
Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 PM
CPR
Race Director

Patrick - Are PORSCHE N.A. really that strict mate? I honestly don't see them taking anybody to court especially as our cars are all modified with third parts products etc?
I never got that far to truly find out. Legal advised to drop it, so I did.

As for them taking anyone to court....I guess that is all relevant to what they think they can gain. Whether by financial pennalty, corporate control/satisfaction or to set an example.

Although, I do not see any issues, I am also not the one who owns the trademarked/copyrighted product. Keep in mind this all open to interpretation and perhaps my perpetration of the flesh intermixed with PORSCHE cars was one my attorneys thought they would not find agreeable.

As I stated I do not see it as being a big deal...just sharing a recent experience.

Print it already
Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Some laws simply suck mate
True! (and when I read it the first time I thought you said some lawyer suck

However, my point was that companies frequently write contracts with language that is not enforceable in law.

Now to get back on track. If you do sort this out, I am in for one. (check for a PM)
Old 02-23-2009, 11:01 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll answer for him. Did you know that this used to be called Porschelist...until they sued John D.?

YES! They are damned well that strict! They have an army of VERY nasty lawyers. The Women of Rennlist couldn't even break Porsche N.A.'s rules when all of the profits were going directly to Rennwish. I think you will find that Porsche A.G. is equally bad, if not worse.
And YES! it is and will be enforceable and enforced.

Like I said, I WANT ONE!
I ain't holding my breath. We couldn't even make 951 t-shirts, a few years back.

Quick Reply: Porsche 951/2 calendar for 2010