Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Couple of videos from our local Porsche club meet.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You're still on stock sway bars?
I would start by changing those to perhaps a set of Tarrett's.
There's a formula (of course) to calculate sway bars in relation to wheel spring rate etc and considering how much harder your current springs are you need a lot more sway bar action that the stock or M030 can offer.
Remember it's all a system

(coming from someone with M030 sway bars... )
Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Charles Parkinson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PHP Code:
The place is unfortunately going to be closed down soon as it's been re developed for housing. So in a city with a population of 4.4 million, we will have 1 track left!!! 
Hi Pat, the folks that own Oran Park have had talks with several Councils about building a new track close to Sydney. Unfortunately none of the Councils have shown a very positive response . On the plus side, I think they will eventually get approval to build a new track as they are pretty major players in the proerty game. I also know of several other preliminary DA discussions for new tracks have been held in last 12 - 18 months (I've even seen some preliminary designs), so I reckon we will evenetually get another venue within an hours commute of the city.
Glad to see you guys had fun - hopefully my car will be ready for round 2 (if I ever get time to work on it that is!)
Cheers, Charles
Old 02-25-2009, 12:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

That's great news Charles. I hope you're right. I've also heard those rumours and I can't imagine with a city of this size and so many
car enthusiasts that we can't fill another track on a regular basis. From what I understand Eastern Creek was always designed as
a bike track anyway. There are so many off camber corners too, so it would be exciting to have a properly designed / built track as
a second option to E Creek. Also they're planning a big re development of E Ck on the cards too. Fingers crossed.

So are you planning on running your 944 turbo and not selling it??
Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 AM
Charles Parkinson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pat,
The 951 is already with a new owner. If financial circumstances were different I would've been keen to develop it and use on the track. However, I have a three quarter built 928 lightweight (well, light for a 928 ) in the works and couldn't justify keeping both at present. Cheers, Charles.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:14 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorax
What spring rte are you running right now?
The fronts are 110nm = 616lb/in, the rears are 50nm in conjunction with the Mo30 t bars = 708lb/in effective. There is a bit of a complicated formula to work out the rear rate in combo with the T bars. I've posted this before and mine was worked out by Karl at R Edge so you can take it as gospel. You would think that these are pretty stiff, but the ride is very good with the KWs, especially on my road tyres. Now I have noticed in the past on the track that I get what I describe as a 'porpoise' effect. The nose and tail seem to duck up and down as if out of sync. I have noticed this on Cup Cars too so perhaps I'm in good company.
I have been fighting turn in (or lack of) issues but it was much better in those latest videos. I am getting used to the idea that there is no perfect setup. It's all compromise. Still I might think about getting some stiffer springs at some point. I could also wind up the shock rates too, but that can be at the expense of grip. I'm really just in the infancy of learning about this stuff and it looks like a very steep hill...
Old 02-25-2009, 04:23 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
You're still on stock sway bars?
I would start by changing those to perhaps a set of Tarrett's.
There's a formula (of course) to calculate sway bars in relation to wheel spring rate etc and considering how much harder your current springs are you need a lot more sway bar action that the stock or M030 can offer.
Remember it's all a system

(coming from someone with M030 sway bars... )
I've got the 968rs sways front and rear, but a new set of Tarretts has just arrived into Sean's workshop so they'll go on soon enough. I actually could have put them on before last week's event, but we had no reference for setting them up so stuck with what we knew. I know there is a lot of untapped potential in the car (and hopefully me). What I would love to do is have a car stripped out and seam welded and caged to really stiffen the shell up. If I could afford it I'd do it to this car and integrate a cage similar to the one Chris White showed lately. I would still like to have carpet for the road setup but be able to remove it for trackdays.
As far as a complete system, I'm sure you're 100% right. The KWs were ordered and supplied as just this to work in concert with the T bars + sways and the expected use of the car. If I did it again I would emphasise track a little more. I was a bit nervous when ordering a couple of years ago that I would wind up with something akin to a Jackhammer.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:26 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Parkinson
Pat,
The 951 is already with a new owner. If financial circumstances were different I would've been keen to develop it and use on the track. However, I have a three quarter built 928 lightweight (well, light for a 928 ) in the works and couldn't justify keeping both at present. Cheers, Charles.
What's the eta of the 928 Charles? Be nice to have another front engined water pumper out at the track soon. Should have seen how many there were last Sunday. It was great. I think people are starting to see the potential of these cars finally in the club.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:46 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I've got the 968rs sways front and rear, but a new set of Tarretts has just arrived into Sean's workshop so they'll go on soon enough. I actually could have put them on before last week's event, but we had no reference for setting them up so stuck with what we knew. I know there is a lot of untapped potential in the car (and hopefully me). What I would love to do is have a car stripped out and seam welded and caged to really stiffen the shell up. If I could afford it I'd do it to this car and integrate a cage similar to the one Chris White showed lately. I would still like to have carpet for the road setup but be able to remove it for trackdays.
As far as a complete system, I'm sure you're 100% right. The KWs were ordered and supplied as just this to work in concert with the T bars + sways and the expected use of the car. If I did it again I would emphasise track a little more. I was a bit nervous when ordering a couple of years ago that I would wind up with something akin to a Jackhammer.
I'm in the same spot, when I specified/ordered my shocks, springs, sway bars etc. about 3 years ago I had some kind of vision to have a compromise between track and street car.
But now I realise it aint good at anything and with the 4" exhaust etc it's actually less comfortable than my previous 951 track focused car
I won't be taking this car for a long trip anyway (except for far away tracks) and the 4" exhaust is too loud to feel comfortable even with full interior so I will gradually go to a full track car. But with a nice set of lightweight carpets for a more comfy feeling.
It will still be road legal though and not trailered!!

Quick Reply: Couple of videos from our local Porsche club meet.