Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

cheap grease cap removal tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:18 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default cheap grease cap removal tool

There was some discussion recently about different ways to remove the wheel bearing grease cap. I found the screwdriver or chisel method tends to gouge the hub. After I bought my RE billet hubs I wanted to find a solution that wouldn't damage my blingy aluminum.

I fashioned this in the pattern of the factory tool. It's a 3" diameter iron sewer pipe cap. I drilled and tapped 3 holes radially for small set screws and a hole in the center for a slide hammer. I tighten the set screws in the groove between the hub and grease cap edge, then a few tugs with the slide hammer pulls it off.

To replicate, you'll have to find a plumbing specialty store as I couldn't find that large of a pipe cap at the big box stores. The cap cost ~$15.

It can be a little difficult to position the set screws in the junction of the cap and hub. I plan to make some holes or slots in the puller near the screws so I can see if they are positioned appropriately.

Unfortunately my camera batteries died before I could take a pic with it mounted on the hub.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: cheap grease cap removal tool