Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My E- Brake is Messed Up!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:51 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My E- Brake is Messed Up!!

Yesterday morning it was fine. I get to school and I can't pull the handle up. The afternoon, the ebrake feels like it is broken because it doesn't work for the first 3/4 of pulling the handle up. The last 1/4 works. What could be the problem. On the really cold, snowy day when I take off, it feels like the brakes are frozen for a second until they break free.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:55 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clarks-garage has a good write up about the E-brake. It's not real complicated. Go there and check it out from that point.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you set the Ebrake while it is wet, and it freezes overnight, it will be stuck to the drum. That can do a good deal of damage to the pads and mounting hardware. Best not to set the Ebake in these conditions.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a similar problem. Driving to work one morning, my car started to slow down. I couldn't accelerate. Pulled over to the side of the road thinking my engine was toast, but couldn't pull up the emergency brake handle. After a couple of minutes, I could pull it up some. After working it loose, I tried to drive again, only to have the handle immovable again.

When I pulled the rear brakes apart, one of the springs that keeps the shoe against the backing plate had come loose, allowing the pad to flop over, engaging it. I overheated the pad, which started coming apart and broke the clevis on the cable. Pretty much everything had to be replaced.

Looking at the other side, it was evident that the PO did not put it back together right. The hooks on the end of the springs were not engaged into the backing plate correctly. One of the springs on the other side was loose, and the other one was barely hanging on.

Pull your rear brakes off and inspect. I hope you don't have the same issue I had!

Quick Reply: My E- Brake is Messed Up!!