Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Removing transmission mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Removing transmission mount

With all the talk of transmission mounts lately i figure ill tackle one of the 'to-do' things on my list which is to fill the stock mount with urethane. Probably a better time to do it now while im not driving the car then later in the year when its my daily driver.

What is the process for taking the transmission mount out? Just reach up there and start turning nuts and bolts.. ? But seriously, do i remove the entire transmission crossbar or can the mount be removed with the cross bar inplace? Is this even possible with the transmission in the car and a cooler coil? As much experience i have working on the 944, i dont often find myself lying under the rear end of the car..so not too sure how to go about taking it out.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:03 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you posted this, cause I've been wondering the same thing, only I'm too lazy to ask. lol
Old 02-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Well i guess i just answered my own question, i just didnt look at old enoguh threads.. i stopped around 2006 . Here is one form 2005, written by APKhaos. Man he is the goto guy when it comes to the transmission mounts!

Now the question is, do i urethane up my original 111k miles mount, buy a new OEM mount and urethane it up for $200 + urethane mix cost, or just buy the hybrid mount for $225.... .

Anyhow i figure it dosent sound to bad, but ill probably need to do some careful angling of the crossbar in order to clear that pesky cooling coil.

--
Replacing the transmission mount is easy peasy. No need to drop the trans.

- support the rear of the car on jackstands - the rear wheels are coming off.
- Support the transmission on a stand, having lifted it slightly with a jack to relieve load on the mounts.
- remove the rear wheels.
- take the nuts off the trans momount bolts. If you get enough 3/8" extensions plugged into each other, you can do this from the passenger wheelwell!
- Use the end of an extension from the same side to drive the mount bolts out. If you balance it right with a jack under the trans, they coem out easily.
- remove the fuel filter bracket.
- remove the transmission mount crossmember [two bolts, one each side]
- withdraw the crossmember through the right wheelwell. I had to disconnect the right lower shock bolt to drop the trailing arm enough to get the crossmember out, but I have 800# springs in the rear. Softer or stock rear suspension will droop enough to clear it. If not, pop the shock bolt off.

Inspect/check the transmount, and remove/replace as required. Reverse the steps to reassemble.

--
Old 02-15-2009, 10:52 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Well i guess i just answered my own question, i just didnt look at old enoguh threads.. i stopped around 2006 . Here is one form 2005, written by APKhaos. Man he is the goto guy when it comes to the transmission mounts!

Now the question is, do i urethane up my original 111k miles mount, buy a new OEM mount and urethane it up for $200 + urethane mix cost, or just buy the hybrid mount for $225.... .

Anyhow i figure it dosent sound to bad, but ill probably need to do some careful angling of the crossbar in order to clear that pesky cooling coil.

--
Replacing the transmission mount is easy peasy. No need to drop the trans.

- support the rear of the car on jackstands - the rear wheels are coming off.
- Support the transmission on a stand, having lifted it slightly with a jack to relieve load on the mounts.
- remove the rear wheels.
- take the nuts off the trans momount bolts. If you get enough 3/8" extensions plugged into each other, you can do this from the passenger wheelwell!
- Use the end of an extension from the same side to drive the mount bolts out. If you balance it right with a jack under the trans, they coem out easily.
- remove the fuel filter bracket.
- remove the transmission mount crossmember [two bolts, one each side]
- withdraw the crossmember through the right wheelwell. I had to disconnect the right lower shock bolt to drop the trailing arm enough to get the crossmember out, but I have 800# springs in the rear. Softer or stock rear suspension will droop enough to clear it. If not, pop the shock bolt off.

Inspect/check the transmount, and remove/replace as required. Reverse the steps to reassemble.

--

I think you should urethane you old mount thats what Westin did and apparently its working great.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by spoolin51

I think you should urethane you old mount thats what Westin did and apparently its working great.
I would like to do this as it would just cost me the urethane ($30). However i have no idea what the current state of my transmission mount is. Would hate to pull the entire crossbar out wanting to reuse the old mount to find its too far gone. Thinking i may just buy the hybrid mount and a fuel filter (needs to get replaced anyhow) and call it a 'while i was in there...' .
Old 02-16-2009, 01:21 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man this mod is on everyone's list lately! I was laying under the car planning my assault yesterday. New trans, new mount, the whole 9 yards.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to do this as it would just cost me the urethane ($30). However i have no idea what the current state of my transmission mount is.
Chances are that its probably OK if you are going to do the urethane mod. When that's done, the urethane is doing most of the work. Take a mirror and a decent light and inpect your mount. If it looks like the rubber is still in decent shape you're golden.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:50 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much sway is allowable with the stock mount before its considered shot? When I was reinstalling the engine in my car, in the process of getting everything lined up I realized that I was able to swing my trans close to a good 3 inches. (this was with the car in the air on a lift, so the wheels were at full droop and the axles had the clearance to slide that far)
Old 02-18-2009, 03:41 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

and what are the signs of a bad tranny mount? (as far as while driving, i mean.)
Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

I took mine out today following these directions but i accidently dropped the jack holding the trans. I'm assuming the engine mounts will just flex with it and everything will be ok. correct? It didnt drop that much but i tend to worry about breaking things.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:26 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone have a link to the original thread about this mod?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:28 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf
and what are the signs of a bad tranny mount? (as far as while driving, i mean.)
I want to know this too. I can see my shifter moving up and down slightly in response to freeway bumps (800 pound rear springs btw)....is this normal and I just didn't notice it before, or......
Old 03-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
I want to know this too. I can see my shifter moving up and down slightly in response to freeway bumps (800 pound rear springs btw)....is this normal and I just didn't notice it before, or......
My whole shifter was moving on hard acceleration. The whole trans moves side to side significantly.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:12 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

I finally got mine dumped out of the car with Wipeout's help on Sunday.

The rubber in mine was so soft the trans would move all over the place even with the entire driveline still in place. I can't wait to get the Lindsey one in place. I have had the car not want to stick in 4th gear under heavy load at the track several times. I really could use the precision and hope that the solid mount helps.

Quick Reply: Removing transmission mount