Brakeline thread cap suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:01 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brakeline thread cap suggestions???

OK, tried the advice of a few and thought I'd repaint my calipers on the car... I have a strong hunch I wont be happy with the outcome. Surface prep will be poor, coating will be poor -- just not for me.

So what around the house/garage works as an airtight cap for the brake line? I looked through the Turbo WSM, but I didn't see it.

Yep, did a search.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry about capping the lines, just provide something for them to drip into. You are going to be bleeding the crap out of the brakes once it's back together anyway.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:50 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

www.POR15.com - they have a caliper paint that is truely tough. I think i'll be doing mine with this stuff.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:14 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I recently removed and rebuilt/repainted my calipers.

Wedge the brake pedal down with something (I used a hood prop rod against the front of the seat). This will keep fluid from leaking past the master cylinder and draining the reservoir. Very little fluid dripped out of mine when doing this.

Yes, you will have to bleed a lot when reinstalling the brakes. If possible, cap off the inlet hole of the caliper or you'll have fluid leaking out and contaminating your surface before painting (the normal bleed screw fits here).
Old 02-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always use a vacuum cap just smaller then the line, or larger then the hole that I thread on or into the fitting and line and it works just fine. I have the "assorted" sizes box that you pick up from Autozone and there's always one that works.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:36 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Guys!

I ended up going with a couple of vac caps with zip ties, mainly to try from adding too much moisture to the system overnight while I painted the calipers. For the rears I'll get metric caps because prep time will be much longer painting the rotor hats.

Several 928'ers have had good results with regular 'ol caliper paint so that's what I went with. I'll post a pic later.

Quick Reply: Brakeline thread cap suggestions???