Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Injectors - What is flow matching & why do it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:47 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Injectors - What is flow matching & why do it?

Will be removing the fuel rail and intake and figured maybe I would have injectors cleaned at the same time.

Can someone please tell me what it means to have them "flow matched" and what the benefit of same is?

Also, for you Canadians, since Witchhunter won't ship to Canada, who do you recommend...

Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 06:01 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They get put in a machine that measures exactly how much each injector flows through it when its open for a specific amount of time. Flow matched means each one flows nearly the same amount, so you dont have one injector that flows 10% less when it is open for 2 milliseconds than the others flow when theyre open for 2 milliseconds. The cylinder with that injector would be running leaner than the others. I dont think you can modify injectors to adjust their flow, all they can do is test several sets of injectors and match them up so they are similar.

I had a set cleaned and tested by this shop and I was happy. Theyre in Port Kells BC tho (5 minutes from me). You could call local performance diesel shops or tuner shops and see if there is something similar near you.

http://www.nwfuel.ca/
Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flow matching is very important if you want a good even burn across all for cylinders. It's is most important on a modded engine with higher boost when it comes into play into getting a decent tune file.

So if it a fairly stock motor I don't see that being necessary

But in just makes it more efficient an un-match set usually run about 8-12% off of the set of four but a match set usually run within 2-6% of the set.

costas
Old 05-17-2009, 10:06 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My set from WitchHunter came back balanced at 1.3%. In which cylinders should I put the two lower flowing injectors? TIA

- Jason
Old 05-17-2009, 01:06 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful taking the manifold and fuel rail off. I think my last mechanic blew my DME that way. Car was fine before i had front engine work done. By the way are you still going to 944fest?
Old 05-17-2009, 04:15 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

take the one that flows the most and put in number 4
Old 05-17-2009, 04:34 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Be careful taking the manifold and fuel rail off. I think my last mechanic blew my DME that way. Car was fine before i had front engine work done. By the way are you still going to 944fest?
I am not sure how you think the fuel rail and intake removal are related to the DME. Can you expand?

I always disconnect the battery before doing anything on the car to avoid any electrical issues and when working with fuel (spark and fuel vapour are a bad combo).

50:50 right now for the fest. Depends on work.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:09 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
Will be removing the fuel rail and intake and figured maybe I would have injectors cleaned at the same time.

Can someone please tell me what it means to have them "flow matched" and what the benefit of same is?

Also, for you Canadians, since Witchhunter won't ship to Canada, who do you recommend...

Thanks
A good injector cleaning is never a bad idea. I just sent mine off to injectorrx.com who is in Texas, not sure if they ship to Canada but i heard good things. You could also try RC Engineering, a bit more expensive but another option to check out.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reno808
take the one that flows the most and put in number 4

Thanks reno I don't have to pull the rail again.
By chance I installed them in order as tested and #4 has the highest flow numbers.
This should have been the first service completed when I bought the car almost five years ago. It's never run so well.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:00 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
I am not sure how you think the fuel rail and intake removal are related to the DME. Can you expand?

I always disconnect the battery before doing anything on the car to avoid any electrical issues and when working with fuel (spark and fuel vapour are a bad combo).
That's what I said. I don't know how the DME was damaged after doing belts\rollers\WP\vacuum lines\turbo oil feed O-Ring. I even had my battery disconnected after i dropped it off. Unless the DME was already on it's last legs and it was just coincidence. Then again, i haven't confirmed my DME is damaged. If the intake manifold was taken off then the MAF was also taken off so there might also be a problem with the MAF. All I'm saying is once you start taking things off it's possible something else might fail.

..And a trained Porsche Mechanic did this work.

Last edited by sebastian944; 05-18-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: more
Old 05-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Try Markus Blaszak - a good 944 Porsche shop in Canada that does cleaning and flowing.
As far as the failed DME - best guess would be that the brittle insulation on the fuel injector wires broke and an injector shorted out. You can't really blame the mechanic - impossible to see and any movement at all can cause an old harness to fail.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:53 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
Try Markus Blaszak - a good 944 Porsche shop in Canada that does cleaning and flowing.
As far as the failed DME - best guess would be that the brittle insulation on the fuel injector wires broke and an injector shorted out. You can't really blame the mechanic - impossible to see and any movement at all can cause an old harness to fail.
My mechanic did notice several breaks/repairs to the injector harness, but they still suspect the DME in my case because there is a good signal to the injectors.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:12 AM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by sebastian944
My mechanic did notice several breaks/repairs to the injector harness, but they still suspect the DME in my case because there is a good signal to the injectors.
If he is checking with a noid light, it still doesnt rule out the harness, just because a signal is making it to the connector doesnt mean that it can carry required current.

Mark
Old 05-19-2009, 09:48 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by marky522
If he is checking with a noid light, it still doesnt rule out the harness, just because a signal is making it to the connector doesnt mean that it can carry required current.

Mark
Yeah i figured that. They don't have an oscilloscope when i asked about it. That is really frustrating when your paying their labour rate and they don't have the proper tools.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:54 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

If there was a break in the injector harness, there would have to be a break for all four cylinders for the car not to start though right?

Quick Reply: Injectors - What is flow matching & why do it?