Stereo Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:57 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Stereo Install Question

Now onto installing my stereo,

I am running the power a Aux fuse harness leading to the battery as Alpine does not want tied into dash as it has a internal amp, no big deal have that ready, but

I need help on these wires

I have a red/white wire which is constant on,as verified by test light. I will not use this one.

I have 2 greens which is for illumination. Only one works with switched power, which I only need one. Should both work?

There a 2 brown ground wires, would it be better to solder into one rather then bolt the connector to the bracket holding the dash to the tunnel? Just pick one?

There a 3 blk/red wires, what are they for?

Thanks
Steve
Old 01-24-2009, 04:33 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was another thread where I recently figured out what all the wires are. Let me find that post...

Originally Posted by Billthe3
I believe I've managed to decipher the stupid factory wiring diagram. This should be what you have...

1. brown ground wire(s)
2. green/white switch power
3. a wire for the lights (doesn't say the color, figures...)
4. red/black antenna amplifier
5. red constant power
6. factory alarm contact wire, doesn't say the color (same wire as #3 though)

So maybe the brown/blue are the lighting and factory alarm wires? I'll continue looking...

Yep, the brown and blue wires are for the factory alarm. One wire hooks up to an internal alarm contact switch in the head unit, the other wire hooks up to a switch on the head unit case ground. So if you aren't using the factory alarm, or don't care about the alarm being hooked up to the stereo, you don't have to worry about the two wires.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:59 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Thanks,

I was curious as my wires had been serously butchered. And I wasnot sure what some of the radio wires and other harnesses wires that were hacked up were used for.

Steve
Old 01-25-2009, 01:31 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve,
Depending on the Alpine model, you should have a lead from the head unit that ties to the "switched illumination" wire from the car. This dims the head units internal lighting at night (when you cut the headlights/instrument lights on).

IIRC it is labeled as LM, DSM or AD.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:13 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Thanks,

It installed easy, I was curious what the other wires were for. I searched a bit and found most of them. I am ready to get on the road again, after I finish all the other wiring.

Steve
Old 01-25-2009, 04:58 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
Steve,
Depending on the Alpine model, you should have a lead from the head unit that ties to the "switched illumination" wire from the car. This dims the head units internal lighting at night (when you cut the headlights/instrument lights on).

IIRC it is labeled as LM, DSM or AD.
sorry OT:

Patrick, clean out some of your PM's it wont let me send you anything!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Stereo Install Question