Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How to roll a fender like a champ... kinda

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just figure i throw this up for future reference, this is how to make the Eastwood (or similar design) fender roller fit the 944.

Had to roll the fenders a little on my '88, i am running 275/45/17 on the replica C2's with a 47 offset in the back, so they stick out a little far. They were rubbing in this one spot, enough it took a few shavings off the tire! Anyhow it was rubbing the worse on the passenger side, enough that i could see paint taken off from the tire. The drivers side is rubbing, but not nearly as bad. I rolled both sides in the same spot and hopefully this will fix the problem. No paint cracking on the drivers side, however i do have some paint cracking on the passsenger side.. i think alot of it was unavoidable even with the heat gun because the paint was damaged already from the tire rubbing, so it just made things alot worse. The cracks are on the underside of the lip and not visible unless your looking up from under the fender. I am going to spray it with underbody coating to basically 'seal' everything in hopes of preventing the cracks from spreading.

For technical sake, my car has mostly stock rear suspension, just Koni shocks and a M030 968 sway bar. So the rear is a little soft..plus it is dropped all the way using the spring plate and i have -1.5 degrees camber.

I have not driven the car yet to see if it still rubs, but i think it will be enough. If not, i am just going to cut out the entire lip with a air grinder.

Stiffer KW Variant 3's will be coming this summer..so i wont really have to worry about this anymore .
Old 03-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine are nearly done now. Doing filler work and getting ready for paint.

I wish I had one of those tools.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:55 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics. Now.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

So did anyone manage to stuff 315's under their rears? I have just had my fronts done and I can fit 295/30 under there now. I want to eventually get something wider on the rears, but the bodyguy said he wants the wheels and tyres first. 12" would be nice out back. I know a few 'Listers have got 11" under stock rear guards.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I was able to stuff 315/35/17 (i think thats the profile) on 11'' wide wheels (widened OEM Porsche wheels) for my friends '89. I dont know the offset off hand because we played around with a few combonations of bolt on spacers to make up the offset difference. I rolled the entire fender lip and the problem we still have is the rear tires will bottom out on the inner fender well. This car has a completley stock rear suspension, conservative camber and at stock ride height.

I think what it comes down to is your offset has to be basically perfect and a relativley stiff rear end will help a huge amount.

Some more info about my fender rolling, even after rolling the portion of fender i pictured i was still getting tire rub. I noticed i was getting it often when pulling into my driveway, so to replicate the conditions and make things worse for rubbing.. i put 2 cases of water in the rear hatch (12 gallons) and pulled into the driveway at my usual extreme angle (AIR splitter makes life difficult..) and stopped right at the point where it rubs..

This picture should illustrate where i was getting rubbing issues really.. . This is an exteme case and looks funny because the way the rear wheels are sitting with the car over the apon for the driveway.. one is on the sidewalk, the other is still on the street.

The tape marks show the section that looked to be coming in contact with the tire.

I rolled this section but have not driven the car yet. I think it should be enough because the tire was only touching the very edge of the fender lip. What kinda threw me off is i had placed masking tape on the fender edge and was looking to see where it was rubbing on the fender. The tape was untouched, however the extreme edge of the fender had paint missing. I rolled the lip as much as possible, but its not completley flush with the inside fender because the undercoating. If this does not work, i am simply going to use an angle grinder and cut out the lip portion. But i am pretty sure it will be enough.

Last night i took my friend for a quick run around the area.. as soon as i hit boost in 3nd gear all that can be heard over my wastegate dump is tire rubbing against fender... i think it made both of us cringe before i lifted off at about 11psi..didnt even hit full boost!
Old 03-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilikemy944
Pics. Now.
Patience is a virtueeee
Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

A virtue I do not possess... Hence the addiction to boost.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:37 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ilikemy944
Pics. Now.
Right now.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:16 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks TD. That's pretty much the area we all deal with when putting on wider wheels/tyres. I would love to see some pics of your friends car and find out what wheel / tyre / offset you wound up with for his car if at all possible.
thanks
Old 05-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

update - Welding some steel gas rod onto the lip to build it up for grinding/plastic. This is so that the edge will be smooth.

other side is already done.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

You are a brave man.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 PM
FASTRNU
Pro

I bought an Eastwood fender roller last week and I'm fabing a new bracket so it will fit our cars.Then I can keep the other bracket for my chevy friends(a few,sorry).I will make it aval to Rennlist members for $20 rental and ship it to the next guy in line.Hows that sound?I will need it for a couple of weeks,then it will go to Lorax first if he needs it to finish this project.I think he should have first crack at it .I will post a sign up thread
Old 05-27-2009, 02:15 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
You are a brave man.
I've been called stupid before, usually not brave though
Old 05-27-2009, 02:18 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FASTRNU
I bought an Eastwood fender roller last week and I'm fabing a new bracket so it will fit our cars.Then I can keep the other bracket for my chevy friends(a few,sorry).I will make it aval to Rennlist members for $20 rental and ship it to the next guy in line.Hows that sound?I will need it for a couple of weeks,then it will go to Lorax first if he needs it to finish this project.I think he should have first crack at it .I will post a sign up thread
Thanks for the offer, but i'm almost done already.

It's going to paint by tomorrow afternoon

Special thanks to my friend greg who knows every trick in the book when it comes to custom bodywork. I wouldn't have been able to get it done without him.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:37 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

So are you going to bog this Ryan? Looks like you've basically unravelled the roll.

ps watch out when walking past this in shorts. I once cut a nice gash in my leg on a friend's car with a similar exposed fender.

Quick Reply: How to roll a fender like a champ... kinda