Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What to do first....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009 | 08:06 PM
SuperLink88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do first....

I purchased my 1987 951 back in August, and after a couple months of just driving and enjoying it I've decided to get to work fixing it's little issues.

1) The belts squeak for about a minute when I start it up and I don't know when they were changed last.

2) After 172,000 miles it's still running on the original rubber suspension bushings, and I've been told that the wheels can't be aligned until I get new ones.

3) The hatch will not open. I've tried everything I can think of and it just won't budge.

4) The cable from the gas pedal to the throttle body is loose. The pedal moves about a centimeter before anything happens.

5) The engine mounts are original to the car, and it shakes quite alot at idle.

6) The passenger side fog light doesn't work, (I know it's not a big issue but it still bugs me.)

Here's my question. What should I fix first?
Old 01-18-2009 | 08:11 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would work on the hatch first as that is normaly a small problem, then the fog light as that could just be a blown bulb. These two shouldn't take more than a saturday to do.
Old 01-18-2009 | 08:56 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperLink88
I purchased my 1987 951 back in August, and after a couple months of just driving and enjoying it I've decided to get to work fixing it's little issues.

1) The belts squeak for about a minute when I start it up and I don't know when they were changed last.

2) After 172,000 miles it's still running on the original rubber suspension bushings, and I've been told that the wheels can't be aligned until I get new ones.

3) The hatch will not open. I've tried everything I can think of and it just won't budge.

4) The cable from the gas pedal to the throttle body is loose. The pedal moves about a centimeter before anything happens.

5) The engine mounts are original to the car, and it shakes quite alot at idle.

6) The passenger side fog light doesn't work, (I know it's not a big issue but it still bugs me.)

Here's my question. What should I fix first?
Do you hear the motor when you hit the hatch release button? If so this should be a straightforward fix, if not ... leave till later.

Fog light is most likely a bad bulb as already stated, 10 minute fix

Engine mounts could take the better part of a day in good weather to fix, or pay a shop to do it...

Throttle cable is a straight forward fix to take out the slack, unless it is stretched, if stretched you will need to replace to loose the slack..

If you don't know the age of the belts, do you know the age of the timing belt? If you don't know the age and mileage of the timing belt I would park the car until replaced (PS and ALT-AC belt have to come off to do the timing belt) replace all belts on re-assembly, without history of the timing belt having been replaced other than "PO told me" you could be driving around a ticking time bomb that is just waiting for a bad time to fail on you. If you have a shop do the timing belt for you, have them do the motor mounts at the same time, a Porsche Dealership charged me $1400 for Timing belt and Motor Mounts at the same time..

Just my thoughts.... Currently BOTH my P cars are parked, waiting for t-belt replacements, along with other stuff....

As far as the bushings go, it will depend on what you want to put in to figure out cost and time to do..
Old 01-19-2009 | 12:35 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Park it ?? T-belt is like a 20min job that is unless you have an issue with the bolts on the plastic shroud then that would add a few more mins ..lol
If you ride is tight and the steering is also the bushing will be ok to wait just take the car to Tire City in NPN and talk to mike and say costas sent you for alig.
The motor mounts is would i would suggest to do because the play in that can damage other things if bad and you drive erratic.

costas

Quick Reply: What to do first....