Quaife v Factory LSD

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Quaife v Factory LSD

Hi All,
my car needs to be tolerable on the road, but it's not a daily driver & it will mainly be used on the track. My question is: Am I better to get the factory LSD serviced & retain it or am I better to replace it with a Quaife.

I've heard the argument that for kerb-hopping when you get a wheel off the ground the LSD still does it's job whereas the Quaife requires a certain amount of resistance at both wheels to do its job.

I've driven a 250 bhp Quaife-equipped Mini Cooper S & it transformed the car - but that was a front driver. The final 968s got ATB diffs so Porsche was open to the Torsen type diff which can split the torque to a greater extent than a traditional clutch type LSD.

Opinions & experiences are welcome.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:15 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Penguinracer

I've heard the argument that for kerb-hopping when you get a wheel off the ground the LSD still does it's job whereas the Quaife requires a certain amount of resistance at both wheels to do its job.

Opinions & experiences are welcome.
Exactly. Or, go with a Guards unit. It is about the same cost as the quaife. We have pulled a few quaifes out on 944T track cars because it wasn't doing it's job in the corners. We sent the units out to Quaife, and they went through them and said they were working as they should. They were replaced with guards units, and haven't had any problems since.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My preference is Torsen over LSD.
Some pros and cons..

LSD = More stable under threshold braking. Clutch is a wear item and is rendered useless when not serviced. Racers need a higher locking rate then OE.
Torsen = better turn in, 100% lock, no wear items. Not as stable under braking, but if suspension/brakes are tuned correctly shouldn’t make a difference.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:47 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an open diff and drive an NA so take this for what you will.

Perference. Guard 80/50 LSD. Why? Lock up under accel, but most importanly lock up under braking. This adds stability for braking and allows greater use of trail braking. This allow you do brake deeper into a corner and around the corner. This can vital and some track and just important at others.

The torsen acts like an open diff at turn in which is a disadvantage.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3600808

numerous posts, all pretty much saying the same things....
Old 01-12-2009, 04:29 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Guards is the way to go .........................
Old 01-12-2009, 11:47 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Exactly. Or, go with a Guards unit. It is about the same cost as the quaife. We have pulled a few quaifes out on 944T track cars because it wasn't doing it's job in the corners. We sent the units out to Quaife, and they went through them and said they were working as they should. They were replaced with guards units, and haven't had any problems since.
You need to be very clear here about your terminology.

Guard makes a torque bias differential, just like the quaife, and like the Torsen Gleson.

Furthermore, Guard makes a conventional clutch pack LSD in addition to their torque bias differential. You cannot compare the two.

Any torque biasing differential (ala quaife or guard torque biasing differential, torsen gleson) will be horrible on the track.

The last differential you ever want for a track car is a torque biasing differential because it acts like an "open" differential under braking. No difference.

You want a good deal of lockup under braking so that you can trail brake effectively without the rear end getting loose and coming around on you. With an open or torque biasing differential you can't. With a LSD that locks up you can. The difference is night-and-day.

The problem with conventional LSD's is that you have to shim them real tight to get them to lock up enough under deceleration to be effective. While this is good for trail braking, it's not good for cornering under acceleration as the car will tend to push.

This is the exact reason why the Guard GT LSD differentials are so great. They are asymmetrical. Meaning that they lock up at x rate under acceleration and y rate under deceleration. You get the best of both worlds.

My Guard GT LSD is a 50/80. This means that it locks up at a rate of 50% under acceleration and 80% under deceleration. And boy does it work.

Anyway, the choice is clear:

Street Use: TBD (torque biasing differential... Guard, Torsen Gleson, Quaife) - - - but I really see no reason not use use the proper clutch pack LSD on the street anyway. Almost all factory Porsches (back almost to forever) have used clutch pack LSD's with the exception of the '92 968 and maybe one or two other cars... but even Porsche abandoned the torque biasing diffs in favor of the clutch pack LSD's (in cars that came with LSD).

Serious Track Use: Guard GT LSD Asymmetrical ( in the case of the 944... a 50/80)

Track Use on a budget: Factory LSD (which needs to be rebuilt if it's got 75k+ miles)

TonyG
Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Thank you all - you've been really helpful & informative.
Your advice has led me to decide that the Guards 50/80 LSD is the diff for me.
It's great to be able to call upon a community of petrol heads for advice & education. Thank you.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:15 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

on the interesting side, quaife will only sell you a torque sensing diff, even if you buy a sequential transmissin for your 996, or GT40.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:06 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I thought the ratio was 80/50% not the other way around?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:17 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I thought the ratio was 80/50% not the other way around?

They are 50/80 (50% acceleration/80% deceleration).

And you can definitely feel which is which on the track at the limit of adhesion .

TonyG
Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Here is a great article to read from Velocity magazine (the POC publication, for racers by racers...)

I highly suggest everyone here read this.

http://www.guardtransmission.com/velocity.htm

TonyG
Old 01-15-2009, 04:50 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyG
Track Use on a budget: Factory LSD (which needs to be rebuilt if it's got 75k+ miles)

TonyG

Needs to be rebuilt at 75k track miles, or total mileage on the car?
What kind of driving, or manuvers, promote the greatest wear?
What's involved with the rebuild? What all can one do "while you're in there"?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:51 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i would have thought 80% on decel would be a shade to much for a front engine car .i would kind prefer it the other way around .
also there must be a piont at wich to much decel lock give the handbrake effect making the car unstable
also the car has to engine brake a bit to get the decal lock to work do other people with half the engine see the profond results tony sees with 8 cylinders locking up the diff during braking ?

I'm not convinced that torsin diff's are no good in a front engined car on the track but I'm not posting in the top 5 quickest like tony

Quick Reply: Quaife v Factory LSD