Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

IceShark Cables vs. Sam Memmolo

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info in this post, but not the 'Best'. Yes, it is the insulation thats the problem with welding wire, then the connector. Very true that the wire must be tined before insertion into a hot solder filled connector, otherwise the 'Load' will travel mostly through only the wire that has the best contact and that results in a resistive difference and some heating. Still, 99.9% OK. Voltage travels on the skin of the wire,[got a hour?], amperage travels between the electrons - hence, inside the wire. Electrostatic radiation from a 12vdc wire is less than the thickness of the insulation, about 1 inch for every 1000 volts in any kind of meaningful way. Now electomagnetic radiation is much more powerful - think radio - little goes a long way. In DC, no real problem, as its a change in voltage over time that produces that. Yes 12vdc steady state does emit electromagnetic waves - wrap a nail with wire and hook up a battery - very weak magnet, tap the wire against the battery terminial and its much stronger as the field will totally collapse and expand with every tap. Its the Change in voltage over time that has electrmagnetic power. The two fields together are called electromotive force. The alternator is where 99% of that change in field takes place, so a bad regulator filter will allow an audible frequency [the rate of change in alternators] hum into the car wiring, raising hell with the electronics. 99.9% of electronics have an additional filter at the input to guard against this posibility. Shielding is used to contain/exclude this radiation, and since this is addressed at the alt. and the inputs, its only nessecary for the most sensitive devices. OK, now what I call 'Best', in thirty years in the field, [Grand Coulee Dam to toasters] never seen anything as good as 'Locomotive' wire, silicone insulation, [impervious to everything] fullly tined, fine diameter wire, [more flexible than welding stinger wire] same amp rating at a size under any other, [less wieght] and I have actually seen the wire melt inside the insulation and still function. 'Andexter' in Seattle Wa. was my source when I was refurbishing Locos, but I bet any yard would have some in their shop. For those that must have the 'Best' [that would be us]

Quick Reply: IceShark Cables vs. Sam Memmolo