Rear Mounted Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Bass GT3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear Mounted Radiator?

Hi Guy's,

I am currently building from scratch a new shell for my race car, and had noticed some of the guy's in the US mounting the rad in the rear of the car. I understand the weight benefits, but have a Q re the airflow throgh the radiator.
Do the 951's aerodynamics cause/require the rad to to be fed from the underside due to possible positive pressure under the rear,and vented out of the back (such as between the rear lights),or is the opposite true, i.e fed from topside and vented out of the underside of the car?
Seems a weird Q i know, but as i am starting with a blank sheet here,i want to investigate all options.

Regards,

Steve
Old 12-28-2008, 11:24 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well seen in drift car antisipateing a front shunt i would think moving the engine back 0.5 m would be more effective and then the rad 0.6m
a was considering venting between the rear lights for a rear def user set up and was told too much drag don't bother .

I think it's basicly too far from the the cars intended aero set up for little benifit .. and as you would still want air through the front for Intercooling i think too much drag would be made having 2 air through paths .
Old 12-28-2008, 11:28 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

do people really do that for front engine cars? I know you'd be able to fit a larger radiator for better cooling, but unless you could do all fiberglass/lexan bodywork and windows, wouldn't the extra weight from ducting (not to mention the extra weight from having to carry more water to fill the longer pipes) offset the gains?

Quick Reply: Rear Mounted Radiator?