Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clean out intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:24 PM
mzman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean out intercooler?

I am doing some general maintenance like spark plugs, wires cap, rotor, etc, and was thinking that it might be a good idea to pull the intercooler and clean it out with some acetone or other degreaser. I imagine over the years it might of collected enough oil and what not to loose some efficiency.

Sound like a good idea or not worth my time?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Page 2. post 21.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...pictorial.html
Old 12-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A good idea i think, the stuff that came out of mine was pretty disgusting. Ive heard of all types of things to use.. brake cleaner, gasoline, acetone, paint thinner... etc. My friends have all used gasoline with good results so i did the same. I would buy two gallons of gas and flush it out twice for good measure, i did it once and got the results in the thread that Ballistic posted. I followed up with dish detergent and hot water, flushed that out a handful of times to get the rest of the soap out.

If you dont flush it out with soap and water, make sure you air out the intercooler to get all the gas vapors out of the inside. I read a few things about having an explosion in the intercooler.. probably being a little over cautious, but not a bad idea.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:12 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

I think that's all I needed to see to be talked into doing this in the spring. I'm almost 21 and I've done enough meaningless wrenching in the dead of winter to suffice for me. Got plenty of scars to prove it too haha.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:21 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Clean the intercooler and install SFR's catch can before you fire her back up. Never be oil in there again!
Old 12-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The one thing thats strange is prior to installing the catch can (i have the Saikou Michi can on mine) i was getting alot of oil through the stock intercooler pipes. When i replaced the pipes and installed the catch can (around August) everything has been dry since (that includes two track days). However when i empty the catch can nothing comes out.. ?? A few people mentioned they get very little accumulation unless the oil is overfilled or the engine has weak rings. So it tells me its doing something, i just dont get why im getting nothing in the can. Beats me.

Quick Reply: Clean out intercooler?