Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

"A well sorted 951 is pretty damn reliable"

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:01 PM
eyeball kid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"when i read the engine could tear it self apart if you don't buy the solid transmission mount it makes me worried. " Ah crap, as a new 951 owner I thought I was getting a handle on what to worry about, what to dread, and what to trust to the gods, and now you've gone and added something new to the list. What is referring to by that comment and how quickly should I act with a car with 75k? Oh and by the way 700 reliable miles since I bought it. Better than my Audi by far!
Old 12-23-2008, 07:09 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

"when i read the engine could tear it self apart if you don't buy the solid transmission mount it makes me worried.
I must confess that this is the first time that i have heard this one. Would be interested in the learned opinion of the very experienced owners.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:35 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
I must confess that this is the first time that i have heard this one. Would be interested in the learned opinion of the very experienced owners.
I'm not sure now where i read that, but have a look at this thread "I love my new soild trans mount "

ehall is going to kill me.

Last edited by sebastian944; 12-23-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:37 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eyeball kid
"when i read the engine could tear it self apart if you don't buy the solid transmission mount it makes me worried. " Ah crap, as a new 951 owner I thought I was getting a handle on what to worry about, what to dread, and what to trust to the gods, and now you've gone and added something new to the list. What is referring to by that comment and how quickly should I act with a car with 75k? Oh and by the way 700 reliable miles since I bought it. Better than my Audi by far!
Whoops, I didn't mean to panic new owners. I'm really not that experienced at all with these cars. I hope the more experienced owners can follow up on this.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:47 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by theedge
My comment is that my mountain bike has left me stranded somewhere more often than my 951.

The score is
Mountain Bike: Three times
951 with 216k miles: Zero times stranded
25000 miles this year on my 88 N/A and the only time stranded was when I blew out my Rubber centered clutch...

Other than the clutch, I have replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, exhaust, shocks, struts, trans mount, hoses, radiator, wheel bearings, tail light assys, sunroof drive gears, stereo, nose badge, timing belt (done the week the car was delivered), and various interior bits and pieces,

I am now buying a 951 as the N/A just doesn't take enough of my time or money to keep driving, I want to see if my Porsche ownership can be any more painful....

We endure the pain because it feels so good when we don't have to.....

Just for reference the Audi has left me stranded twice, and the Durango once in the same time frame, so... the Porsche is more reliable than either of the other two....Right?
Old 12-23-2008, 07:52 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ski and fbgh2o, those are very helpful lists. So would you guys consider my car modified to the point where you can say it's going to be unreliable? I can tell you my mechanic was not impressed with the cone filter and the wire setup for the MAF. And when I told him i had a Centerforce clutch he said he will only install Sach Clutches. I grumbled at that.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"A well sorted 951 is pretty damn reliable"
Put him in the back of a squad car, restrain that man! He needs his head put through a CAT scan.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

I'll say one thing, in seven years and 50,000 k I've never had to have mine towed.

But really guys, a thread like this is inappropriate during the festive season.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:13 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

25000 miles this year on my 88 N/A and the only time stranded was when I blew out my Rubber centered clutch...
Hey guys i know mine isnt a turbo but i would just like to say that not even a broken clutch could stop mine.I used it every day with a half broken rubber centered clutch and bad cylinders for another 3 weeks until i got my new clutch kit.The last few days i was starting it in second gear without even depressing the clutch because the pedal was already to the floor and i barely could change the other gears.That was about the craziest thing i did to mine but it took it like a champ.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=eyeball kid;6117729]"when i read the engine could tear it self apart if you don't buy the solid transmission mount it makes me worried. " QUOTE]

where the hell did you read that? As one person said, be careful what you read and follow.

Now there is a train of thought of NOT doing solid motor mounts WITH a solid tranny mount but you can inter-mix. I ran a track car for almost 4 years, it got double duty most weekends meaning driven on average 14 sessions, on solid motor mounts and a stock tranny mount.

There have been threads on this or similar before. Reliability is what you make it with your budget. And people that will only install Porsche or factory parts, either have not experimented or they've repaired a botched job from a shade tree.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:59 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sebastian,
I agree with de Prat, that the more modified your car is the more problems you are likely to have...even with the best components.

But larger than that I think the responsibilty level of the previous owner(s) and the obvious mileage factor have a tremendous amount of input on what should considered well sorted. Typically, and I stress typically, an older more financially secure owner would be one whom takes better care of their autos. I mean this to say that they have the means to have the auto properly serviced and at regular intervals and also that the auto is not their daily driver and thus subject to less wear and tear.

I looked at perhaps 20 or so, before I settled on my current one. The car was garage kept, full maintenance records, all work peformed at the dealership, completely stock, only 48k miles, was never tracked and was not his daily driver.

In contrast most of what I saw had over 100k miles, few or no service records, signs of some "bubble gum" repairs and were mostly owned by younger (20-28y.o.) financially challenged men. Not to be stereotypical, as there are some who fit that description here, but take fantastic care of and pride in their cars. Just sayin....
Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
but what about everything else, i.e DME computer, fuel injectors, fuses/fusebox//cvjoints/transmission syncros/intake manefold.gaskets/seals//oil pan/engine harness, reference sensors, ignition coil.
Ive personally seen these components go 200k.

Well my 951 will be damn near 100% new mechanically speaking. Only thing not new really is the tranny, but its only got 79k on it. Im expecting close to a decade of just routine maintenance. One has to keep in mind when comparing these cars to its contemporaries, that the 951 is 22 years old.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peckster
I'll say one thing, in seven years and 50,000 k I've never had to have mine towed.

But really guys, a thread like this is inappropriate during the festive season.
Awww peckster I miss you
Old 12-24-2008, 12:29 AM
95ONE
Race Car

All wiring and sensors. Tear out completely and replace.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:48 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

ski you appair an icon of reliability i have to ask what kind of budget are your engine build's ???

Quick Reply: "A well sorted 951 is pretty damn reliable"