Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Phase two of my project - turbo swap pictorial

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No Zeitronix, just a Innovative wideband. I eventually want to get the datalogging box so i can record boost, EGT, AFR..etc, but its pretty expensive and not really 100% useful for me yet as i dont have plans to go with the piggyback for sometime still. The Zeitronix is nice due to its all in one features, but i did not like the current options available regarding AFR readout, i wanted a analog type readout and digital readout. It was probably a month after i put the Innovative in that they came out with that...doh!

BTW, i just wanted to say much respect to John at Vitesse and his MAF + software setup. As you can see in the video my AFR's are rock solid at 11.7-11.8 under full boost. No changes at all were made to the software going from the K26/6 to the 60-1 HiFi which obviously flows a significantly larger amount of air. I dont even have the piggyback to really dial things in. This is seriously one of the best things i could have bought with future modifications in mind.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 AM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No changes at all were made to the software going from the K26/6 to the 60-1 HiFi
A well engineered MAF setup is nice like that. I envy anyone who has Vitesse software. Eventually you might consider changing the software because you can afford to run a little more timing with that bigger hotside.

Wait until you try 18 or 19 psi, that's where the 60-1 will really shine (don't be mislead by the compressor maps, the 60-1 isn't afraid of high boost). In terms of 1/4 mile ET and MPH, it performed equal to the stock turbo up until about 13-14 psi.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:19 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck

BTW, i just wanted to say much respect to John at Vitesse and his MAF + software setup. As you can see in the video my AFR's are rock solid at 11.7-11.8 under full boost. No changes at all were made to the software going from the K26/6 to the 60-1 HiFi which obviously flows a significantly larger amount of air. I dont even have the piggyback to really dial things in. This is seriously one of the best things i could have bought with future modifications in mind.
Great thread!

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you are enjoying the Vitesse MAF, it should serve you for a long time even if you keep the modifications coming. As you noted, changing the turbo to a much higher flowing unit, or changing the boost will not affect your AFR. The beauty of a genuine MAF

Enjoy!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:13 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, can you post the video again. It is not working.
I really like the tinted fog lights
Old 01-26-2010, 01:10 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Good read. Jon, your car is too nice. Makes me feel like mine is a beater !
Old 01-26-2010, 02:32 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Mike, atleast you get to drive your car.. i have been dying to go for a ride. My Jeep is fun, but it dosent even come close to matching the driving pleasure of the 951. I will say off roading at the ship yard (which is literally a mud hole) is alot of fun.. .
Old 08-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Supernotch93
Instructor

Jon,

You still liking your 60-1 Hifi, any dyno results yet? Sorry to rehash an old thread but it was some good reading!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Supernotch93
Jon,

You still liking your 60-1 Hifi, any dyno results yet? Sorry to rehash an old thread but it was some good reading!
Maybe this Saturday if he makes it to Van's House.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Supernotch93
Jon,

As of right now i feel the turbo is a bit too laggy for my liking for street (around town) use. On the highway its about perfect i think. Mind you i am a all motor guy at heart.. i like instant response. I always complain about the lag in my car but my friends all say i am nuts and its not laggy at all. I smoke tested my exhaust a few weeks back and have a number of leaks, cracked #1 flange at the head and the 2 crush rings are leaking where the crossover meets the header flange (i had loosened this junction to get the crossover to line up with the turbo inlet, i did not replace the crush rings, hence the leak). These leaks are pretty major, so i am sure these are killing the spool up. I have a set of SFR stage 2's headers / crossover i am going to install over the winter when i pull the engine for rod bearings. It will be interesting to see how the turbo feels with the leaks fixed. Using the uber accurate look at the boost gauge then quickly dart my eyes at the tach at 1-bar, i estimate i am seeing it at about 3500-3600rpm @ 1-bar. I am hoping once i fix the exhaust leaks i can get 1-bar at 3300rpm or so.

The car is very fast at 15psi..it will spin my 275 Kumho XS rears with relative ease through 2nd and from 3rd - 4th i am hanging on.

No dynocharts, i have not had much chance to drive the car much over the last year or two. Based on what i have seen from other people running this turbo, i would expect to see about 300whp @ 15-16psi.

I actually relocated to Houston for work for about a year.. i was living in Pasadena, right off the toll way. Where abouts are you located? I really wish i had the 951 with me while i was living in Houston. A run with it down 45 between Galveston and Houston would have been very nice on those late weekend summer nights. Not to mention the car scene in Houston is way cooler than it is on Long Island.. people are actually nice, not d-bags and its not a bunch of ricers / rich stuck up guys.

Unfortunetley i doubt i will be able to make the get together at Van's. I was supposed to get home on the 25th but now its looking like the 28th or 29th. I still need to get the car inspected also and am praying the inspection machine at the shop i goto is working..otherwise i may be in a bind. I am not to keen on driving anywhere that requires me going through a toll plaza with an expired inspection sticker..its basically a guaranteed ticket.

MM951 has the same turbo (60-1 HiFi with a #8 hotside) so im sure he will have #'s after the get together.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:39 PM
DivineE
Racer

Just read this thread from start to finish as changing the turbo over is a looming task for me (never done one before) I'm replacing my worn out LR75 with a new LR75 but considering its the same size my car gets a lot more lag than you! I'm hoping this will be rectified by fitting the new turbo, which has also been high speed balanced locally. Out of the box the new turbo was balanced to an accuracy of 1.75g at 70,000rpm now its 0.4g and the shaft has been polished to remove any manufacturing imperfections.

I was hoping to see your vid to get a better idea but its been removed Having read the thread I'm also now sinking at the thought of the task I have ahead of me and all the potential pit falls! I was originally hoping to do it over a weekend!!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Supernotch93
Instructor

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I actually relocated to Houston for work for about a year.. i was living in Pasadena, right off the toll way. Where abouts are you located?
I live right off 96 and 45..running from League City to the Woodlands (mainly the Pierce Elevated near downtown) is fun for me Thanks for the info on the turbo, I think things will drastically change for you when your exhaust is on and all tightened up. Reading this thread makes me excited for my GT3071r install. I'll shoot you a PM once I get my motor back in.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:22 PM
gstreev
Racer

Jon, I forgot how nice that engine bay looks. You're right about the the toll plaza at the TNB, if you have any easy pass, you can stay back a little, then come through it with a little speed and you should be ok.
I agree about the lag, get those exhaust leaks taken care of, that will help. 1bar at 3500 down here with traffic isn't fun. That was my only gripe with my 951, the K26/8 and an exhaust manifold leak.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:05 AM
DivineE
Racer

Originally Posted by gstreev
1bar at 3500 down here with traffic isn't fun.
I should be so lucky, you guys are all spoilt with your tiny turbo lag.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:25 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been reading up on the turbo hard water line interference issue as I am getting ready to install a older hybrid turbo on my CA car. I thought I was going to have to perform one of the various modifications from Rennlist, however upon further inspection it appears that Huntley might have actually done a good job on this piece. Please look at the picture and see if you agree. It looks like he machined a section out of the compressor housing to accomodate the factory hard line coming over the top at this point, see red arrow in picture. If anyone else has installed this ball bearing hybrid from turbonetics, please chime in. I don't have another car to be driving around finding fittings to make this thing work if there is not enough clearance.
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

The compressor cover on my 60-1 was ground down in the same spot, no modification at all needed to the waterpipe.

Quick Reply: Phase two of my project - turbo swap pictorial