Old 01-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pjburges
How much of a concern is this weakness? What size tyre are you track guys running on your turbos? I was going to run a 225/45/R17 street tire on my 86 turbo setup with a wheel spacer, maybe do some DE days,
am I at high risk of breaking the 86 spindle?

Oh, did I mention Ill be drilling a hole through the middle of it as well to use an early speedo cable?...
Not a high risk with street tires.

As for the camber bolt mod (I didn't see that question before!) - if you modify the cam part of the bolt head and extend the slotted bolt hole you can crank in as much camber as you want.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:59 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris,
I just installed late hubs, spindles and rotors on my '86 keeping the early offset.
When you modied the camber bolt, did you just make the O.D. of the camber bolt washer smaller and lenghten the slot on the strut?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDude1
Chris,
I just installed late hubs, spindles and rotors on my '86 keeping the early offset.
When you modied the camber bolt, did you just make the O.D. of the camber bolt washer smaller and lenghten the slot on the strut?
You can do both. On the camber bolt you need to make the ‘thin’ part of the circle a little smaller.

You can get enough negative camber for the street without any mods – you only need to modify the adjustment if you need a lot of negative camber for the track (-2 degrees or so).
Old 04-06-2010, 11:15 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great! Thanks.
I do have camber plates, buts it's gonna be a few months till I convert my koni's to coil overs.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:26 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to dig up an old one...but i have a question regarding this mod and i think i should not open a new topic just because of that

i need confirmation on the following:

When using early struts, S2 spindles and hubs, and early steel arms, one needs to machine the upper elongated hole 4mm upwards to accomodate the late spindle bolt pattern. Also, one must machine two spacers as the S2 spindle has a thinner flange.
For street use this setup allows for a factory amount chamber..or perhaps a tad more neg...
Early steering knuckles can be used.

The question is: the resulted offset is higher because of the spindle construction and the hub height?
I'm using certain spacers on the fronts at the moment, and i'm hoping that this upgrade will not only give me greater stopping power but also reduce the thickness of the spacers i'm using.

thanks.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:18 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Offset is 100% due to control arms, not spindle/hub.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I used to know all this stuff - but since doing the mods I've more or less forgotten the details.

Things I'm sure of:

The S2/Turbo spindles are "thinner" at the section where the two bolts go into the McPherson strut.

The S2/Turbo spindles do not have a hole drilled through the center of the drivers spindle as early cars do.

The spacing between the bolts that connect spindle to strut on the S2/Turbo and the N/A are different. One is further apart than the other, although I don't know which is which.

I would highly recommend just finding the struts off a Turbo/S2 and rebuilding those with Konis or Bilsteins for what you are doing. It will save lots of headache in notching the holes so that the bolts will line up, plus you'll have new struts going in.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pjburges
Man I used to know all this stuff - but since doing the mods I've more or less forgotten the details.

Things I'm sure of:

The S2/Turbo spindles are "thinner" at the section where the two bolts go into the McPherson strut.

The S2/Turbo spindles do not have a hole drilled through the center of the drivers spindle as early cars do.

The spacing between the bolts that connect spindle to strut on the S2/Turbo and the N/A are different. One is further apart than the other, although I don't know which is which.

I would highly recommend just finding the struts off a Turbo/S2 and rebuilding those with Konis or Bilsteins for what you are doing. It will save lots of headache in notching the holes so that the bolts will line up, plus you'll have new struts going in.

Good luck!
Originally Posted by ninefiveone
Offset is 100% due to control arms, not spindle/hub.
Thanks for the replis guys.

Aw crap ! i was hoping to get rid of those spacers...oh well..since i dont track the car it should be allright.

Thats one of the reasons i dont want to go to S2 struts...they are not rebuildable...and you have to set the geometry every time you rebuild the shocks....i have good condtition early struts and shocks.
i've researched the mod...its not a big deal...costwise is for free...safewise is quite safe(has also been proven to hold on track abused cars)...hasslewise...not that big..

i'm going to have 4 spacers machined and enlarge the upper(oval) hole upwards by 4mm.
That should give me enough room for factory chamber settings and access to the 928 brakes.

thanks again !

Quick Reply: 944 S2 spindles and hubs on 86?