Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need a new battery, suggestions anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:53 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy a battery that has the best warranty, and replacement deal. I've used Napa batteries, in the past. Whenever one died, it was invariably still within some warranty, so I got a pro rated replacement. After that, it makes little difference to me.
Caveat: I don't live in a cold weather state. I think you've gotten some good opinions, so pick the one with the best deal.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey944
Heat is actually harder on batteries than the cold is believe it or not. And I have never seen an Interstate leak in my 13 years of wrenching, interesting to hear you have had that issue! Was it a long time ago??
One was recent (5yrs?) on a camry and the other was on an 80s dodge (8yrs?) , the dodge one slowly leaked covering everything in corrosion. The camry wasnt bad at all but still leaked none the less. I also believe it was an interstate battery that poured acid and ate a bunch of plastic and a tire on my buddys car a long time ago. The battery was old with alot of miles but that was still the worst ive ever seen. I wouldnt buy anything but a sealed battery for a 951 because i dont want to risk ruining the battery tray.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've tried everything, Interstate was a solid second place to my Optima Red which lasted me over 7 years! Now I'm on my fourth year with a Optima Blue. Can't believ how good these damn things are. Now you can get them at Costco too for $125!

Otherwise, one of the coolest product review was in European Car Magazine last month on a kick *** light weight battery made by voltphreaks.com. Check it out.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
I've tried everything, Interstate was a solid second place to my Optima Red which lasted me over 7 years! Now I'm on my fourth year with a Optima Blue. Can't believ how good these damn things are. Now you can get them at Costco too for $125!
Funny thing about the optima. I've had one in my Corvette for about 3 years and 35K miles and it has been great. A close friend of mine has gone through more optima's then I have tires over the years which is why I don't recommend them and have never bought one unless I have to (case with the corvette). It doesn't matter what car he puts them in they never last. Is it possible that Optima just doesn't like him?
Old 12-11-2008, 03:40 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had an Autozone battery for 9 years. That is 9 as in nine! That has to be a record. They normally last 3-4 years and then you get a new one. The proration thing is just to get repeat customers. I have no idea which company makes it for them.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:45 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Huh, I have had the exact same situation as your friend Jeremy. Only with a battery company called stinger. I guess they are used a lot in stereo applications and racing. They are small and lightweight and were supposed to cure my worries. I went through 4 of them in 6 months. So I've never recommended them either and I was the only one having problems with them. They told me it was my car.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cruise98
I have no idea which company makes it for them.
Johnson Controls.

Delphi makes ACDelco and some Walmart (Everstart) batteries.

Exide makes Champion and Napa. Exide also makes Walmart batteries.

Johnson Controls for just about everything else (DieHard, Duralast, Interstate, Costco, Motorcraft, etc). They make Walmart batteries too.

My last battery is a Interstate blem. There's an Interstate dealer here locally that sells blems for $25.

Quick Reply: Need a new battery, suggestions anyone?