Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Would this be caused by a bad reference sensor!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:25 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Would this be caused by a bad reference sensor!!

I have had this problem for a couple months. I go to start the car and it doesn't start as fast anymore. When it starts, It will sit at 1000 rpm and be fine until you rev it, then it will stumble at about 600 rpm unless you let it sit. If you try to rev it within the first minute of starting it will stumble and it won't want to rev and there will be some black smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Could this be caused by bas reference sensors or something else. Also, where can I buy reference sensors. I have checked a couple places. This all started happening after I removed the DME and KLR to make sure the chips were installed.
any ideas.
thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 01:01 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it started when you removed the DME and KLR, I would start there. Are the connectors secure? Did you bend any pins plugging them in? Is there a leak in the vacuum line that goes to the KLR?

If it started on its own I would suspect the ref sensors or the DME temp sensor. Ref sensors are a bit cheaper if you buy them as BMW parts. this link has the numbers:

http://members.***.net/dnwong/porscheref.htm
Old 12-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing is out of the question for your problem. However, since you state that this all started when you were fooling around with the DME and KLR, that's where I would start. Something has not been put back together the way it came out. Go back and recheck that you put the halves of the DME back properly, didn't bend any pins on the chips or the boards, break any of the ribbon cable, etc. I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be a broken trace on the underside of the DME that couldn't be seen until I took off the plastic connector that hooks to the wiring harness. It had been rubbed against for many years and because of my moving things around and pushing the plug back in, it broke the trace on the board. Took me about two weeks of diagnosing to find the problem. Good luck!!
Old 12-07-2008, 03:17 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

I will check to see if the connector to the dme is bad

It also occured after I when I tied into the KLR vacuum line for my aftermarket boost gauge
would that have anything to do with that
Old 12-07-2008, 03:26 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check the TPS

the boost gauge will have no effect.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:33 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a vacum leak, I've seen the same issues with
a vacum leak. I'd check around the KLR you might have crimped the Vac line when putting the DME/Klr back in place.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:57 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Originally Posted by tconn
Sounds like a vacum leak, I've seen the same issues with
a vacum leak. I'd check around the KLR you might have crimped the Vac line when putting the DME/Klr back in place.
I also did the LR vacuum line kit since about 3 of the lines were cut, but that was 3 months after this problem. Is there a way to test the TPS
Old 12-07-2008, 06:03 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you're problen CAN be caused by the sensors, BUT you should go back to the scene of the crime, as stated by folks above. Whenever a new problem occurs after work in one spot, ALWAYS go back and trouble shoot from that spot first.

Quick Reply: Would this be caused by a bad reference sensor!!