944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3.0L build documentary

Old 06-09-2009, 09:35 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep asking for Corleone's to no avail.
Now we have this claim of 13psi on a 2.5 giving 535hp.. Talk about a great class winner.. (PCA) If it truly makes that power.. Proof is in a .25 mile run.. Mph.
So far.. NO ONES anti'd up.. Really.. It's just boring in here. NO ONE.? i hate to say I'm starting to doubt the big talkers.. but .. If it can't make it down the quarter on a soft launch, then it's a trash setup anyway.

Look at me.. I'm down to talking **** to get people to show us some cool stuff. (Group beer hug after proof)
Old 06-09-2009, 10:14 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

i call BS on this one. i just cant see how 535rwhp would be even doable, with a 7000rpm rev limit and a cap of 13psi on a 2.5 litre. do you guys realise thats about 256hp per litre. F1 cars today are producing about 290 hp per litre at and unlimited technology.

im not saying that power is not doable, it would need a big turbo. how big lets say gt40, maybe bigger. its safe to say the 2.5ltr twin cam in question has had lots of porting and some nice trick cams. it would now need to rev to 10 000rpm to take advantage of the cams and porting, not to mention to get the turbo to spool.

now at 13psi a gt40 would not be anywhere near its optimum compressor effieciancy, let alone only 7000rpm. maybe its on one of those special american dynos.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:29 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JET951
i call BS on this one. i just cant see how 535rwhp would be even doable, with a 7000rpm rev limit and a cap of 13psi on a 2.5 litre. do you guys realise thats about 256hp per litre. F1 cars today are producing about 290 hp per litre at and unlimited technology.

im not saying that power is not doable, it would need a big turbo. how big lets say gt40, maybe bigger. its safe to say the 2.5ltr twin cam in question has had lots of porting and some nice trick cams. it would now need to rev to 10 000rpm to take advantage of the cams and porting, not to mention to get the turbo to spool.

now at 13psi a gt40 would not be anywhere near its optimum compressor effieciancy, let alone only 7000rpm. maybe its on one of those special american dynos.
BS you call(in Yoda voice), lol.. its all there, trust me. I will ask the owner if I can post the dyno chart but don't hold your breath. This is a full on track car and the owner wants to keep things under wraps. I can tell you, its hands down, the best prepped 951 I have ever seen. No expense spared.

Here is a hint, yes, the turbo is huge and the motor moves more air than the turbo. It has cam(s) full port, ITB's, HUGE IC, list goes on..
Old 06-09-2009, 10:42 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

ps - This was done on an Aussie brand Dyno dynamics, aka "The heartbreaker"
Old 06-09-2009, 11:12 PM
JET951
Drifting

its just not concievable. not at that psi or rpm level. im not a big believer in dynos, all can be manipulated to give a desired reading. in my book cams and porting move the power band, they never give throughout the range, you sacrifice here and gain there. on a race car you are after top end, not so that you have a 100rpm powerband but you sacrifice some drivability for outright power. im sure this 2.5 would have to have some crazy cams to take overcome the fact it is still a 2.5ltr, and to take advantage of this it would need more rpm. say it still has a 8:1 compression ratio at 13psi its only running about 11.5:1 compression. not to mention the turbo would still be spinning slowly.
as i said i do believe you can build a 2.5 to get this sort of power but its going to need revs and boost to do it.
unless they are running 13:1CR to start with and using a small block windsor 302 as a starter motor.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:26 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

its just not concievable. not at that psi or rpm level. im not a big believer in dynos, all can be manipulated to give a desired reading. in my book cams and porting move the power band, they never give throughout the range, you sacrifice here and gain there. on a race car you are after top end, not so that you have a 100rpm powerband but you sacrifice some drivability for outright power. im sure this 2.5 would have to have some crazy cams to take overcome the fact it is still a 2.5ltr, and to take advantage of this it would need more rpm. say it still has a 8:1 compression ratio at 13psi its only running about 11.5:1 compression. not to mention the turbo would still be spinning slowly.
as i said i do believe you can build a 2.5 to get this sort of power but its going to need revs and boost to do it.
unless they are running 13:1CR to start with and using a small block windsor 302 as a starter motor.
Sean, I agree. There is more to it than you know. I can't really say anymore about it but you are on the right track. You are smart for doubting but I have seen it with my own eyes. Patrick will see this when he visits. DDP has seen it in person.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:02 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Sean, I agree. There is more to it than you know. I can't really say anymore about it but you are on the right track. You are smart for doubting but I have seen it with my own eyes. Patrick will see this when he visits. DDP has seen it in person.
Come on guys. If you want to see power from a turbo motor, it's in the history books.

Renault changed F1 racing in 1977 with the introduction of a new 1.5-liter turbocharged engine. Though these engines could produce far more horsepower than normally aspirated 3.0-liter engines, abrupt changes in the power curves of early turbocharged engines made cars using them difficult to drive. These problems were eventually overcome, and the world champion drivers from 1983 through 1988 all drove cars with 1.5-liter turbocharged engines. Know that these motors endured over 1000hp.....those must have been fun racing days for the folks with unlimited budgets.

We have engine management systems that show us EVERYTHING on our lap tops, and some smart phones for Christ’s sakes. These guys did it with consistent laps with much less. My TEC GT sold to me with a proper harness from Chris White cost under $3K, and its light years ahead of what the late 80's F1 folks had to tune their cars.

I had a friend in college that had a Renault. We called it the one ton tomato when drinking.......it was red and fun. Something about a Margarita brought this rant....Lyrics are for the song writer...

This seems to be a full on race motor with no expense spared. Call it whatever you want, but if this motor is built to such HP specs, it's been done.

Evil stated that this was a full race motor. Time, pressure, and lots of money will create much of what you desire when it comes to burning fuel to create HP.

I didn't read this full thread, but it's good to see folk’s spending money on our motors, cars, and all that supports folks like us keeping a great car running and kicking some modern ***.

George
Old 06-10-2009, 02:17 AM
JET951
Drifting

Originally Posted by George D
Renault changed F1 racing in 1977 with the introduction of a new 1.5-liter turbocharged engine. Though these engines could produce far more horsepower than normally aspirated 3.0-liter engines, abrupt changes in the power curves of early turbocharged engines made cars using them difficult to drive. These problems were eventually overcome, and the world champion drivers from 1983 through 1988 all drove cars with 1.5-liter turbocharged engines. Know that these motors endured over 1000hp.....those must have been fun racing days for the folks with unlimited budgets.

We have engine management systems that show us EVERYTHING on our lap tops, and some smart phones for Christ’s sakes. These guys did it with consistent laps with much less. My TEC GT sold to me with a proper harness from Chris White cost under $3K, and its light years ahead of what the late 80's F1 folks had to tune their cars.

This seems to be a full on race motor with no expense spared. Call it whatever you want, but if this motor is built to such HP specs, it's been done.

Evil stated that this was a full race motor. Time, pressure, and lots of money will create much of what you desire when it comes to burning fuel to create HP.

George

Hi George,
i do agree with you that it is possible to produce such HP, the F1 engines from the 80s such as the 1400hp Williams-Honda FW11 Turbo in 1986. it revved to 12000rpm to make that power, and these engines would hardly finish a 20minute race. every race was a new engine.
i doubt that the 2.5 twin cam engine we are talking about has an unlimited budget like the ones in F1, now or back in the 80s. the F1 engines were designed to produce as much HP to last exactly one race, no more no less. in most cases they would self destruct before the finish of a race. i would think that a fair amount of money has been put into this 944 turbo engine but im sure they have built it to last at least one season of racing. they Were running 4-5 bar of boost in qualifying, then a new engine would be fitted for the race
Old 06-10-2009, 06:44 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Well now this got OT, didn't it...

-Darwin
Old 06-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The one plus of a 16v that not many folks utilize is that the combustion chamber shape is much less detonation prone than the 8v - so you can run much higher compression ratio – especially on race gas.
I am guess that the 2.5 in question is running a fairly high static compression ratio – As they say on TV – Don’t try this at home uless you are a trained professional!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S

-Darwin
Darwin, I added your project to the 3 Liter Registry (Work in progress list). When will it be on the road?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Darwin, I added your project to the 3 Liter Registry (Work in progress list). When will it be on the road?
Darwin maybe a tad busy in the middle east - so I can answer that one!
The engine build scheudle for this one is not a fast paced one since Darwin won't be back in the county for a bit. Approximatley the end of summer.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:04 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S

-Darwin
Yeah it did! Let's get this back on track RIGHT NOW!

Darwin, how long have you been stalking Chris? Is it true that you stalkers tend to break into your stalkies home and steal personal items, like panties, teddies and mascara?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by ehall
Yeah it did! Let's get this back on track RIGHT NOW!

Darwin, how long have you been stalking Chris? Is it true that you stalkers tend to break into your stalkies home and steal personal items, like panties, teddies and mascara?
Hmmm...if one were to check my phone/email logs for stalkers some other listers just might show up....do I have to check to see if my 'frilly' things are still here?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:21 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
Hmmm...if one were to check my phone/email logs for stalkers some other listers just might show up....do I have to check to see if my 'frilly' things are still here?
Don't know and don't wanna know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.0L build documentary