Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Road Trip photo

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:49 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, the tial unit does come with a custom-cast stainless steel hotside. And it comes with a really pretty billet aluminum mount. The turbo does work very well. Granted, I have no idea if it works better than a standard GT30...let's hope so.

I had planned on buying the other turbo of which George is speaking...that is, until I stopped having a viable platform on which to install it...
Old 11-24-2008, 09:39 PM
azmi951
Drifting

George, Sorry to hijack......Yes it is true, I will have 1 kit for sale with all plumbing and the sweet mount. All of it for $2300. It is damn close to a bolt in with no more modification than a vitesse turbo. If you want it, let me know.

The reason I only have 1 is because the casting process made too many scrap housings so they are reworking the casting process. This one is fine and passed all quality control inspections (very rigorous, I have seen the number of wastegate housings scrapped and for the tiniest defects).

As for the trip...that was awesome. The roads are great and little to no traffic. We had the best of both worlds while there, fast cars and great 4x4s. Having know what a LX470 can do off road makes me laugh at the mall queens I see with no dirt on them.
Attached Images   
Old 11-24-2008, 11:14 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sean,

Welcome back from Kettering! I wasn't bashing your setup. You know that I think it's one of the best out there. I was just being me, and stating that the kit won't make your 951 into something that isn't available. What I do know is that it's the BEST kit I've ever seen. The manufacturing and finish is second to none.

My point was that it's still a Garrett with a little finese from Tial. It's worth the money for someone that wants the best for their car.

I remember when Cervelli charged $10,000 for this setup installed. I'm not kidding here folks. We saw 400whp out of this turbo at boost levels deemed explosive on the KKK setups of the day.

Sean, looks like we are having a bachelor party for Steve in Greer soon.......ya think he would be up to inviting some of his friends and ours for the occasion?

George
Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
For what it's worth, the tial unit does come with a custom-cast stainless steel hotside. And it comes with a really pretty billet aluminum mount. The turbo does work very well. Granted, I have no idea if it works better than a standard GT30...let's hope so.

I had planned on buying the other turbo of which George is speaking...that is, until I stopped having a viable platform on which to install it...

You will have the viable platform here next weekend. Bring her by, can't wait to see it. I'll have my fuel pump installed by then to give you a run.

George
Old 11-24-2008, 11:51 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George D
You will have the viable platform here next weekend. Bring her by, can't wait to see it. I'll have my fuel pump installed by then to give you a run.

George
Absofrickinlutely! I'm pretty excited. I've just got to get through this week first...

What happened to your pump?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:36 AM
George D
Drifting

Absofrickinlutely! I'm pretty excited. I've just got to get through this week first...

What happened to your pump?
We don't really know. I just got out of the hot tub...it smells like gas now, but I'm clean..LOL.

The Bosche 044 motorsport unit failed after about 5K miles. Some nasty stuff came out of the pump once drained. Something got into the pump or it was a lemon waiting to fail. It happened in my garage, and that's better than on the side of the road any day.

I actually reversed the polarity and it just was jammed. Then I bounced it off the floor, tried again....jammed in both directions. Interested in an autopsy? I am and I'll be cutting it in half soon.

Ordering a new one along with a new fuel filter to install Wednesday afternoon. The fuel tank fuel screen was fairly clean...like almost new. We'll never really know, but it's good to know that it's just the fuel pump.

I got to understand how the TEC GT was wired into my harness. These cars have so much wiring under the fuse panel...it's daunting, but now I know how the splicing was done. There was a proper shrink wrap on the fuel pump wire where clipped, and a properly completed splice on the rewire for the TEC GT to take over the factory relay and fuse. Both of these are now where the factory motronic box used to live utilizing the TEC relay and fuse.

Thanks Tim and crew for doing things as stated. Had to check.

Call me when you and Sean are coming back into town. I'll have a cold one for you with a good pressure washer to get the bugs, dirt, and whatever else off your new ride.

George
Old 11-25-2008, 12:40 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Absolutely. Do you want a fuel filter? I've got two. They're both good: the first one was on my car when I bought it and replaced it with the second one when I thought the fuel filter was the problem. Turns out it wasn't the issue. Consequently, I don't know how old the first one is, but the second one has about a year's worth of driving on it...

Let me know if you want me to take it off the car, or if you just planned on buying a new one.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:50 AM
George D
Drifting

Thanks. But I've ordered a new one for under $20 bucks. Keep your spared and use the best one on your new ride.

Really happy that you got a good deal on your car, and am coming home with a new ride. You will really like Steve. Had a blast with him in Mexico.

Thanks again,

George
Old 11-25-2008, 12:53 AM
George D
Drifting

Absolutely. Do you want a fuel filter? I've got two. They're both good: the first one was on my car when I bought it and replaced it with the second one when I thought the fuel filter was the problem. Turns out it wasn't the issue. Consequently, I don't know how old the first one is, but the second one has about a year's worth of driving on it...

Let me know if you want me to take it off the car, or if you just planned on buying a new one.
When are you leaving for Texas? OT, but you seem to be online now.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George D
Thanks. But I've ordered a new one for under $20 bucks. Keep your spared and use the best one on your new ride.

Really happy that you got a good deal on your car, and am coming home with a new ride. You will really like Steve. Had a blast with him in Mexico.

Thanks again,

George
Yep I'm lookin forward to it...assuming all goes to plan! I'll definitely be keeping you posted.

I'll be leaving Tucson on Saturday at something like 5:30 in the morning, and arriving in San Antonio at 11:40 IIRC. So by that evening I shouldn't be sans-951 any longer...
Old 11-25-2008, 01:04 AM
azmi951
Drifting

He is flying out Saturday nd we are driving back Sunday. Since he will be near Dallas he can get it up on a lift and inspect it before the 1000 mile drive.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Collin, wright your paper stop being distracted by the crack that is rennlist.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:59 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by azmi951
George, Sorry to hijack......Yes it is true, I will have 1 kit for sale with all plumbing and the sweet mount. All of it for $2300. It is damn close to a bolt in with no more modification than a vitesse turbo. If you want it, let me know.

The reason I only have 1 is because the casting process made too many scrap housings so they are reworking the casting process. This one is fine and passed all quality control inspections (very rigorous, I have seen the number of wastegate housings scrapped and for the tiniest defects).

As for the trip...it was really fun. The roads are great with little to no traffic. We had the best of both worlds while there, fast cars and great 4x4s. Having know what a LX470 can do off road makes me laugh at the mall queens I see with no dirt on them.

Great photo's. Catching up with me on the corners....OH this was on the way down. Must have been when I allowed Jeff Dicicco to drive...LOL. I'm not the best passenger when it's my car being driven. Seems much slower when you have the wheel in your hands.

G
Old 11-25-2008, 04:13 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

I'd have to agree. Being a passenger in a car makes it feel about 1.5 to 2 times as fast. It's just the fact that you're not in control and don't know what's coming next.

I like it, a lot.

Great photos guys. I've always loved your car Sean!

Quick Reply: Road Trip photo