Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lindsey 340 kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008 | 10:37 AM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Lol at both of you.

So 4K is alot for all of those bolt ons? Show me where you can buy a complete kit like that for a completely stock car for alot less than K and you will have my attention.

Kits like the Vitesse cost just as much but, don't come with all those supporting mods. For someone with a completely bone stock car 4 grand for complete kit like that is a great deal.

I spent more than that at Lindsey and there wasn't even a turbo involved back in the day. This new kit is a great setup for people looking to just get a well rounded set of mods made for upgrading a stock car.
:werd:
What were you expecting to pay for a turbo, maf, injectors ect, exhaust system? 2k?
Old 11-19-2008 | 11:06 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

ok go to the classifieds and see the add race parts buy the exhuast and Maf kit and 55's for 1200 then buy my ported head Web cam and extrude honned manifold 65mm TB and intercooler k27/8 for about 1800
and your looking pretty good . and that it at a glance stalk rennlist and eaby six months and you'l do it better
Old 11-19-2008 | 11:06 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

ok go to the classifieds and see the add race parts buy the exhuast and Maf kit and 55's for 1200 then buy my ported head Web cam and extrude honned manifold 65mm TB and intercooler k27/8 for about 1800
and your looking pretty good . and that it at a glance stalk rennlist and eaby six months and you'l do it better
Old 11-19-2008 | 11:23 AM
aussiebj
Racer

i have the LR 340rwhp kit installed on my 944 and i to was thinking about going with an LS series engine but let myself get talked out of the chevy .."it wont be a porsche anymore."... "the resale value will be hurt"..... "you will limit the people who would want your porsche if you sell it" you get the picture anyway i had my engine built from the block up with nothing but top notch parts to handle the extra power and with the cost of the engine rebuil and the LR kit i have just over $12500.00 int to the motor alone and yes i am happy with the power i have only done one track day and the car kept up with stock c6 corvettes they would pull on me in the straights ..As for resale i was only offered 9k for the car and its only got 800 miles on it since the build ...so IMO if i had to do it again i would go the Lt1 route and build that up as parts are cheaper you can still get the conversion kit and i would have had money left over and i bet i would have got more that 9k if i tried to sell it... hope this rambling of mine has helped u out ...here is a link to my parts list....Barry
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...street%2Ftrack
Old 11-19-2008 | 11:25 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

first, I wouldnt consider a maf a bolt on. It DOES have to be wired in.

Also, why piece togther a hob job kit of used parts? People like being able to not have to worry about a used part.

And truth be told, a vitesse maf, injectors and 3" SFR catback ran me 1800 bucks.

4k for that kit is a good deal, but its not a kit I would buy.
Old 11-19-2008 | 11:31 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

if its road registered i would think an ls1 converted car is as easy to sell as a turbo the cars biggest problem has been solved .
poeple like the car for the chassis and tans axle configuration not for the flimsy expensive shake shaft half v8 engine with the big heater under the inlet manifold .
Its a 9k car regardless
Old 11-19-2008 | 11:31 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

if its road registered i would think an ls1 converted car is as easy to sell as a turbo the cars biggest problem has been solved .
poeple like the car for the chassis and tans axle configuration not for the flimsy expensive shake shaft half v8 engine with the big heater under the inlet manifold .
Its a 9k car regardless
Old 11-19-2008 | 11:46 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
Sorry buying a bunch of used parts and piecing it together isn't the same as buying a brand new kit straight from the distributor. In fact alot of times used parts can be misused or mis represented and there is ZERO warranty on those parts.

You see lots of threads from people trying to figure out issues and never quite have their car running right. Alot of times its a pieced together project on a budget. These cars are expensive to maintain.

I drove the **** outta my old Lindsey setup and never had one issue. Did I pay a premium for that? sure.... but, it was hassle free and if I did have a problem with one of my parts I promise you my course of action would have been much better for me than someone buying a used part from someone else.

It just isn't the same.

I paid for a full Vitesse kit because I still have the same philosophy. I prefer to buy new and complete. I don't claim to be a expert or know all about these cars. Maybe because you're knowledge is much more extensive then mine you can get away with piecing together you're own kit and making it work just as good.

I'm not in that boat. I'll happily pay the vendors for their products/research/development and leave the tuning of my car to them.
Old 11-19-2008 | 11:48 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

shameless plug
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/463659-fs-vitesse-maf-smt-6-zeitronix-etc.html

for 2750 you get turbo, maf, chip, lindsey 3" dp, smt-6, and a forge diverter valve with spring kit
Old 11-19-2008 | 11:55 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TRP951
shameless plug
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463659

for 2750 you get turbo, maf, chip, lindsey 3" dp, smt-6, and a forge diverter valve with spring kit
Thats a nice setup
Old 11-19-2008 | 12:05 PM
aussiebj
Racer

Sorry buying a bunch of used parts and piecing it together isn't the same as buying a brand new kit straight from the distributor. In fact alot of times used parts can be misused or mis represented and there is ZERO warranty on those parts.

You see lots of threads from people trying to figure out issues and never quite have their car running right. Alot of times its a pieced together project on a budget. These cars are expensive to maintain.

I drove the **** outta my old Lindsey setup and never had one issue. Did I pay a premium for that? sure.... but, it was hassle free and if I did have a problem with one of my parts I promise you my course of action would have been much better for me than someone buying a used part from someone else.

It just isn't the same.

I paid for a full Vitesse kit because I still have the same philosophy. I prefer to buy new and complete. I don't claim to be a expert or know all about these cars. Maybe because you're knowledge is much more extensive then mine you can get away with piecing together you're own kit and making it work just as good.

I'm not in that boat. I'll happily pay the vendors for their products/research/development and leave the tuning of my car to them.
I to had the same philosophy thats why i bought all my parts from Lindsey Racing and they are great with thier over the phone help,I cant recommend them enough..Barry
Old 11-19-2008 | 12:27 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kits are nice, and with LR or VR, you have support and past experience.

Reliability goes back to maintenance and tune, end of story. If you're good on both, you have reliability. Now, the LS6-7, great engine, parts are cheap overall but all the extra things add up. TonyG did a great job and now, it if fails, you can throw in another one(V8). It really depends on what you want in the end and the end users $$ amount. One huge key to do a P-car rebuild is finding a good machinist and getting the piston to wall clearance right the First time.

Or you can sleeve it with Chris White, do the V8, or find a good machine shop that knows 944 blocks and finishing process and send it to them, with the pistons, and instructions on .020mm to .040mm clearance; just depends on pistons (some could be more or less). good luck.

I put together a kit with LR a long time ago (6-7 years ago) and we had LR/VR on the track car. My black one is still going strong and haven't touched anything since I tuned it. The track car was flawless too for almost 4 years, not worth visiting that story again, my point, get it tuned properly, whatever you do for reliability.
Old 11-19-2008 | 12:40 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

Lol at both of you.

So 4K is alot for all of those bolt ons? Show me where you can buy a complete kit like that for a completely stock car for alot less than K and you will have my attention.

Kits like the Vitesse cost just as much but, don't come with all those supporting mods. For someone with a completely bone stock car 4 grand for complete kit like that is a great deal.

I spent more than that at Lindsey and there wasn't even a turbo involved back in the day. This new kit is a great setup for people looking to just get a well rounded set of mods made for upgrading a stock car.
I wasn't questioning the price, just that I do consider all of those items to be "bolt-ons". They bolt on.

And no, just because you have to plug in a connector for the MAF does not eliminate it from this category.
Old 11-19-2008 | 04:39 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

In addressing your original question... I've been down both paths. I've had several 951's in the past. From mild bolt on stuff, to very expensive machine work & modifications producing big power.

I now have yet another 951, but with a LS1 installed.

The question between the two would be an extremely easy choice if you were to simply drive a LS1 powered 951. Reliability issues aside (and there's no comparison...), the LS1 turns a great car in to a phenomenal car.

It's not cheap to do it right. But by the same token, nothing done right is cheap.

If are around the Los Angeles area, you can drive mine. The decision will be crystal clear.

TonyG
Old 11-19-2008 | 04:49 PM
PixelGrinder
Racer

For the $4k price tag, can you produce more than 340 hp with a stock 951 (if you dont buy the LR kit)?

Quick Reply: Lindsey 340 kit