Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Resistors for 48# Siemens?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:00 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I brought it brand new, it probably looks dirty because it's been sitting in my garage for so long.
It's never been installed though in anything. I put it all together to see how it fit, etc, but that is it. That's the K&N filter that came with it also.
My car hasn't even been started since I bought it. The injectors were installed on my fuel rail but I never ran them or anything and the chipboard sat in my DME in my room for awhile. I pretty much put together everything I could so that when the time came I could slap it all on my car. I never got past installing the new turbo though since I found a few leaks in my exhaust mani, etc.
So, everything I sent you has seen 0 miles. My car has been out of commission for 2 years now, so these are the parts that I was going to use to put it back together with, I just lost motivation after the guy who was going to help me put it back together passed away. Here's was on here under the name 89951DREAMER =[ That seriously told me that maybe it just isn't meant to be. It's been one thing after another with this car.
I'm really not sure what the red paint is from either to be honest, but it was stored with other car parts so it's very possible something else rubbed off on it I suppose.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:40 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Well I finally got my couplers today, so I finished the install today. It was a pain, and it'll get more refinement/ better fitting this winter; but for the next 2-3 weeks of good snow-free driving, it'll work.

Car started on the first try and idled fine. Injectors didn't leak or anything.

Took it for a quick spin that turned into like 6 hours and close to 100 miles. I happened to run into an '89 951 on my cruise. That was cool! It runs great. Does anyone else have an oddly loud diverter valve? Mine is LOUD. Turbo spool is loud as well.

I'll write more later/ post a thread.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:22 AM
HansB
Pro

Hi, thought I would chime in.

I have used Siemens 55" injectors, I bought from LR, for 3 years, without resistors, track only without any problems.

Then I switched to DTA earlier this year. Local DTA guy said to put in resistors. I did. He was wrong. The timing of the injectors was completely off, and I could not get enough fuel in the engine. Guess with the lower currents the injectors did not open quick enough or far enough. I removed the resistors and everything was fine.

So running resistors is not without risk or disadvantage!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:31 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Well I finally got my couplers today, so I finished the install today. It was a pain, and it'll get more refinement/ better fitting this winter; but for the next 2-3 weeks of good snow-free driving, it'll work.

Car started on the first try and idled fine. Injectors didn't leak or anything.

Took it for a quick spin that turned into like 6 hours and close to 100 miles. I happened to run into an '89 951 on my cruise. That was cool! It runs great. Does anyone else have an oddly loud diverter valve? Mine is LOUD. Turbo spool is loud as well.

I'll write more later/ post a thread.
Glad to hear everything is working out for you
You dunno how jealous I am that you get to actually use that stuff haha. As for the turbo spool and diverter valve being loud, it's probably from the fact that you took out so much intake tract with the MAF. Now it's just a filter and a little bit of tubing before the turbo. Same thing occured on my GTi when I changed intakes, it got much louder, sounds great though in my opinion.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:07 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by eniac
1.5 or 2 ohm resistors will work. I use 1.5 ohm resistors on my Siemens 86lb injectors. As you can see in the formula I listed, 1 ohm resistors would still be too much amp draw.

I might have an extra pair of 1.5ohm ones. I'll have to check tonight when I get home.
not necessarily. the 86lb siemens I had ohmed out at 2.8 - just for comparison. So I used 1 ohm resistors.

But damn informative information none the less eniac. That post should help many that search in the near future, as many of yours in the past have helped me.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:33 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95ONE
not necessarily. the 86lb siemens I had ohmed out at 2.8 - just for comparison. So I used 1 ohm resistors.

But damn informative information none the less eniac. That post should help many that search in the near future, as many of yours in the past have helped me.
I was going by 2.3 or 2.4 ohm resistors. For 2.8ohm, 1ohm resistors would be fine.

In looking this over I don't know if the formula I listed is exactly correct for 951 DME's or if the other one is. It depends if the resistors are "shared" between each of the two injectors on each channel. The formula I gave works for a full sequential systems but in batch system, the calculation is different when running resistors parallel or in series.

Last edited by eniac; 11-24-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:05 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Well, my car didnt leak oil prior to the maf install, and now it coats the downpipe and crossover. I have no clue what's wrong. Just pissed me off tonight. I'll probably start tearing it apart this week...
Old 11-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The increased sound of turbo spool up is a nice after effect of a MAF. Mine was ridiculously loud even with the AFM on because my turbo has 3 bent compressor blades which for some reason amplify that suction noise. With the MAF on it sounds pretty sick as it comes onto boost.

Hopefully it sounds just as good as the 60-1 i put on this winter .
Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

damnit jon I was hoping my car would be faster since yours looks soo good (I am expecting my painted 968 wing to come in at any time..) but now you have a vitesse MAF and 60-1 too ? Let me tell you it sounds fantastic on spool up. Much much louder spool noise compared to anything else I've heard and it builds boost very quickly too.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:31 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

The 26/6 sounds wicked for a stock turbo car when you put a maf on it. 3rd and 4th gear sounds like a jet inside. I love shifting between 2nd, third and fourth...going to 6500 then shifting to 3rd sounds amazing. Love it. Wish my car wasn't leaking oil badly...
Old 11-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Carbon Revo - did you end up installing resistors?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:37 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Well, my car didnt leak oil prior to the maf install, and now it coats the downpipe and crossover. I have no clue what's wrong. Just pissed me off tonight. I'll probably start tearing it apart this week...
How is your aos vented??

If you have went to atmosphere that may be it.

It is probably leaking out of the balance shaft endcaps.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:48 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

I know I jerry-rigged a hose to fit the aos hose to the j-tube and it may be leaking. The end caps do look like they're leaking. At least the passenger side does. I had checked the car before the maf and only the RMS was leaking a slow leak.

How does venting the aos to Atmosphere make the balance shaft end caps leak? How do I fix it? Is the car ok to drive?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:58 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO venting to atmo adds unnecessary crankcase pressure (or doesn't relieve enough)

The turbo will also most likely start to leak past the turbine sealing ring.

Try to get the hose fixed proper the leaks may stop.

If they don't, clean really well with brake cleaner and you can then use RTV sealant.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:06 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

I put roughly 100-150 miles on the car and was driving pretty hard for most of them.

The leaks won't just stop will they? I mean, there could be a leak in the hose, but I don't know. The aos hose mounts to the j-tube/pipe right? There's also another hose that comes from under the intake and mounts to the intercooler-throttle body pipe. What's the hose? I didnt mix them up, I'm just curious.

Should I not drive the car if leaks continue?

Quick Reply: Resistors for 48# Siemens?