Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: What would you do about your ride?
continue to wait and hope it turns out good.
5.00%
Be nice, see if he needs more $$ to finish
2.50%
Absolutely RAPE the vendor on the boards he post.
22.50%
Go to the shop, demand the car be finished or take it.
70.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Promises, Promises

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:04 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also break the job down .
so in your next meeting your say "this part done in 10 days or a pick the car up" then repeat until finished
Old 11-10-2008, 07:36 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As others have said, stop by the shop. Hopefully it's not too far away and will not require more than a tank of gas to make the trip.
Also I wouldn't just show up. I would let them know your coming and are expecting a full update of whats been done, why it's take longer and cost more than expected. Basicly you'll be auditing your project.
Remember you should only be paying for prices from a year ago, if the cost of items or labor that were origianlly planned for have gone up in the last year, well tough cookies for the vendor, they should eat it.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not my car...I forgot to add. The person, who owns the car, is a very close friend of mine and has been more than civil. As stated, vendor nameless, model too, you smart guys could figure that out.

FWIW, I told him to show up, book a hotel for a few days and have the trailer ready and be at the shop every F--K'g morning until it's ready. Show up Tuesday, put in on the trailer Friday, ready or not.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:20 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many times did the project change directions? Were there a bunch of custom parts added to the mix later? Was it the shops suggestions or the clients? Lots of things could have changed time frame.

Or, if everything remained the same. If the project was a planned 6 months. 12 months is about right. but it is indeed time. he has to stop by the shop a few times no matter how far away. Calls every other day. Ask some of us here to stop by and gather intel. Etc.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:35 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree on the face to face negotiations route. In these circumstances, there is often complicity on both sides and the only to resolve is through a frank discussion that lays out the expectations, time lines and consequences for failing to perform.

That being said of the vendor has simply failed to perform, your friend is likely well within his rights to terminate the agreement for default on the orginal contract, assuming that a delivery date was stipulated.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would first examine the content and structure of the contract documents. Typically, there should be a mutually accepted schedule, set with periodic "milestones". These milestones, are the points in a project where specific predetermined percentages of a project have been completed and thus warrant a release of funds. They also help establish the final completion date (+/- days for sensible delays) whereas both parties willfully undertsand and agree as to the terms and conditions of such. The accuarte interpretation of this instrument is paramount in ensuring your friends ability to not only regain possesion of his auto, but to also validate his claim to any monies justfully owed by said shop; either by unwarranted delay or negligent performance & execution.

If you like, I can forward his contract over to Legal and have them send a "Letter of Notice" on is behalf. Just an option....

PATRICK
Old 11-11-2008, 05:22 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

option 1 - he's already waited enough. Far too long in fact.
option 2 - he shouldn't have to keep forking over money. Patience can be a virtue but still.
option 3 - never rape anybody while they have your car. At least get your car back first.
option 4 - don't even let them finish, they're taking too long, and if rushed or demanded they might screw up. Just take it somewhere else and get a refund minus work already done.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he's picking up the Shark today.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

He has a contract. Vendor didn't follow through. I would pick up the car and re-coup damages..

Quick Reply: Promises, Promises