944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

twin scroll setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008 | 07:10 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

yeh definatly worth it since I'm not doing the work . Or hiring the dyno . I know that Corgy gives it very inconclusive comments
Old 11-13-2008 | 07:10 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

APS seem to think its pretty good
Old 11-17-2008 | 11:22 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Update:

well I tried to install it on Saturday

Turns out the header flanges are slightly different bolt spacing and angle. If that were just the case I would have modified them however......

Bigger problem turned out to be Motor mounts, it seems my 86 has lower set motor mounts reducing the spacing between the steering rod and the turbo mount and flange. There was minimal clearance for the steering rod before so (with the dual pipes) now it was just flat out not happening.

I thought about swapping flanges and motor mounts from car to car but decided against it b/c at this point the TS piping is set perfect for the 83. I couldn't see letting all the work done to get that one to fit nice to go to waste.

I did however change the flange position on the stock up pipe to accept the .48 hotside . It is now spooling the H1E to 15 psi at 3700 and once the other head is re installed it should come down a little more. The change is only slightly noticeable.

Yes I was a little ticked..... but now I have more research done and another variable measured (this hotside w/o TS).

I am not exactly sure whether I am gong to make another crossover for this hotside or for the Holset unit (both are TS). Or I may just get a smaller T3 since now the flange is in the right position and would be easy to change.

Either way, it will be a bit to see what happens
Old 11-29-2008 | 04:22 AM
blown 944
Race Car

I went ahead a installed the twin scroll pipes this afternoon/evening. Darn thing fought with me on every bolt. When I finally got done I came out to about 2" of snow at the shop..yeeaah....So at this point I haven't been able to fully get on it. I did take it out on the highway where it was a little more dry and it does seem to spool nice and the power felt very linear.

I sounds a littel bit different, kind of like a car that had exhaust manifolds and then went to headers. For lack of a better explanation. It does have 2 pinholes I will need to fill and I need to order a new divided gasket (in pretty bad shape form the blockoff) but overall not too bad.

I went this route b/c the blockoff/bypass was just being a real Bitch and I think I'm going to make the flapper design.

here is a pic of the crossover with WG.
Old 11-29-2008 | 04:41 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

nice one Sid the sound is it nice ? a bit more rich and conplex? . more fire in the pipe sound ??
also I'm still waiting for you to tell me about how the engine makes torque although it has 8psi less boost at say 2800 rpm is it making similar torque to the turbo engine was making at 2800rpm .
I'm still conconvinced on this ceramic liner descussion . if it was a good idea it would of stuck arond but some say many good ideas die in oem as there to expensive .
Old 11-29-2008 | 04:50 AM
blown 944
Race Car

sounds pretty cool actually..little raspy..and you can hear the cam more than before (NA variety)

All I can say to the liners is that in direct comparison on my car they may have made a difference. It is either the liners or the portwork. That head flows pretty good. I should be getting it back from being surfaced and nicer valve job this week. I had the valves back cut and did a little more clean up in the bowl area.

Not quite clear on the torque question??
Old 11-29-2008 | 06:37 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

well i'm still convinced that the higher compression has meant that the expanding gas is used more to drive the piston than to drive the turbine in the NA motor so i ask although the turbo spools slower and takes more revs to come on .
is the car much or any slower .
i would expect the higher comp engine to be stronger off boost and stronger at up to 10 psi . and therfor would not leave you in a lag hole as bad .
i think you are a bit to focussed on the boost guage .(yeh we all are)
I'm just asking you to compare the torque or power out puts of the 2 engines below 15 psi
and i just think the higher comp one as its on e85 must be more powerful .
if you have been pushing enough timing in there
Old 11-29-2008 | 01:45 PM
blown 944
Race Car

You may be right, but IMO the higher velocity should make the turbine hit quicker.

Yes it is better off boost and up to 15 psi. However still not to my satisfaction . Hence the desire to keep coming up with these half baked ideas I really just need a smaller DBB turbo or supercharger, but I will make due with what I have.

I definitely am not pushing this engine as hard as the turbo longblock, but it has seen some pretty high boost. It feels good regardless I just want more torque at lower rpms.

I do need to go standalone though, this thing needs timing added no doubt in my mind.

I feel like I'm chasing my tail trying to get the feeling I had with my s/c car. It's really funny how remembering back to fooling around with my brother (99 6.0 Z-28) on the street that my S/C car would take off leaving him but would get pulled and now this car seems just the opposite. He even mentioned that the 83 was a nice little street racer b/c it launched so well.

I'll take it out today and run it up and see what it does.
Old 11-30-2008 | 10:13 PM
blown 944
Race Car

another update. after driving the car a while now with this crossover I have to say that I really like it.

I finally went ahead and merged the WG with a divider and the boost control is back to normal. It was being very unstable ie: when the WG would open the boost would drop down 5-7psi then come back up and drop again, so it needs to use both pipes

The power is much more linear and the top end feels very good. The spoolup is only a couple hundred sooner,however I have pretty good leak at the turbo flange so it will probably get better.

I am enjoying driving it around from light to light now .

Onto the S2 trans and then I think I'm done
Old 12-01-2008 | 02:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

That's good news Sid, and looks like you've made your mind up on the S2 cwp. That will be the biggest anti lag mod you do, I bet.
Old 12-01-2008 | 08:05 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

did you run around on the NA trans for a bit that would be nice and short ?You know i have plenty of stand alone But SMT 6 is a realy good compromise i think you only need stand alone if you want to to get rid of the distributor
Old 12-01-2008 | 08:08 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Nice work Sid, you're a fast worker
Let's get some new vids!
Old 12-01-2008 | 11:15 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Patrick, yes I have made up my mind. I decided this needs shorter gears for the driving I do daily. However, after driving in this morning I am still second guessing as it really does feel more drive able. You really come to appreciate smooth power off boost to on boost with a 4 puck clutch (there is no modulation really). I was waiting until I got it where I wanted it before the swap to make sure I got the most out of the setup without the gears coming into play.

Adam, I was not aware the SMT-6 was able to manipulate timing control?? Doesn't matter if I decide (more like when) to do anything I will most likely go MS2. Not going to risk a NA trans (this is a factory turbo car, really no need to).

Duke, not as fast as I used to be and this indecisiveness didn't help either.

More vids will be coming shortly. I want to get the flange leak squared first
Old 12-01-2008 | 11:17 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Can't wait for vids Sid!

We certainly need more on this forum.
Old 12-01-2008 | 06:31 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
From what I understand it uses the individual exhaust pulses to spool faster and if you look at the turbine housing it has 2 smaller openings vs one large one and they both hit the turbine wheel in separate areas giving a broader pressure against the wheel.

The Idea IMO is to be able to utilize a larger hotside but still retain faster spoolup.

Evo guys are big on it
So like melding a twin sequential set up? To get quick spool and still more on the top end?

Quick Reply: twin scroll setup