Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turn Signal Blinker

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Synth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Blinker

In short, my blinkers don't blink. Replaced relay with a new one, and still no blink. Ideas?

The lights work, sidemarkers too. I even replaced the blinker bulbs just in case. Is there a way to test the blinker relays? Maybe I got a bad new one?

What else could cause neither side to blink?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
chitown928s4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuses
Old 11-03-2008, 01:36 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Synth
In short, my blinkers don't blink. Replaced relay with a new one, and still no blink. Ideas?

The lights work, sidemarkers too. I even replaced the blinker bulbs just in case. Is there a way to test the blinker relays? Maybe I got a bad new one?

Could be a bad ground anywhere in the circuit. Check all the bulbs plugs for corrosion. A leaky lense can make those get ugly fast. I had this problem and it turned out to be the plug on the front bumper was corrored. I replaced it and it worked fine.

Have you flushed your turn signal fluid lately? If not, this may be a good time to do that...just make sure you don't use synthetic, it doesn't mix well with the original signal fluid made from monkey ***.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Synth
Instructor

Yes, I checked the fuses.

I'll recheck the grounds and connections, maybe I missed something.

Thanks for the ideas.

anyone else have ideas?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:43 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Synth

coup[le of things. If one bulb is out on one side, it won't blink front or rear, on that side. No blinker can be caused by a failed hazard switch. Fuses obviously need to be checked. Then, if it's still not fixed, it might be time to look into the stock switch.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Synth
Instructor

Thanks for the input ehall, i didn't even think about the hazard switch, that actually could be it. I have half the dash apart to get access to the DME/KLR. I'll check into that tonight.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:27 AM
dmalo810
Instructor

Okay, since we are on the subject and I don't mean to hijack (okay, I do mean it) the thread, usually when one bulb is out, doesn't the blinker start blinking faster?
So, the other day my left side started the "fast" blinking thing so I thought one of the bulb were out. No, it was just blinking fast.
Short or bad relay? Thoughts?
I checked the blinker fluid and all is good there. Not using cheap blinker fluid either, just the best available. LOL
Old 11-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Synth
Instructor

ehall, you were right it was the Hazard switch. I had unplugged the switch when i removed part of the dash to access the DME. I didn't realize that it was in series with the turn signal blinker switch. Thanks guys!

dmalo810, I think the fast blinking is indicative of a grounding issue. Which is most likely a broken bulb, but I think could also be a bad or broken ground wire. Previously I had pulled the front yellow light and opened it up, and found the ground wire had broken off and needed to be resoldered. This could be your issue. Give a shot, it's easy enough to check.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dmalo810
Okay, since we are on the subject and I don't mean to hijack (okay, I do mean it) the thread, usually when one bulb is out, doesn't the blinker start blinking faster?
So, the other day my left side started the "fast" blinking thing so I thought one of the bulb were out. No, it was just blinking fast.
Short or bad relay? Thoughts?
I checked the blinker fluid and all is good there. Not using cheap blinker fluid either, just the best available. LOL
blinking fast often just boils down to cleaning and sanding the bulb contact a bit. The fast blinking comes from resistance occuring at the sight of one of the bulbs. Sometimes the sockets wear ou tso the bulb doesn't contact as tightly.

Glad it turned out to be the hazard switch. That's a common symtom that you described.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:57 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
blinking fast often just boils down to cleaning and sanding the bulb contact a bit. The fast blinking comes from resistance occuring at the sight of one of the bulbs. Sometimes the sockets wear ou tso the bulb doesn't contact as tightly.

Glad it turned out to be the hazard switch. That's a common symtom that you described.
I have the fast blinking issue all the time. It's just as ehall said. it's that damn contact, and it always seems to come back on me.. it's a real pain in the ***.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Blinker