Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

968 turbo conversion: project in the works

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:40 PM
xrad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks GD. Sweet engine pic you have there.

It won;t be finished overnight. Always little things with these projects...

I have to say that Jason Lee of HMR in Florida has been a big help. Also, Lindsey racing, super. And Lindsey, 944online, and PicasPorsche for parts.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:42 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Nice stuff. Welcome to the turbo world
Old 11-01-2008, 11:55 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xrad
Reno808: does that knock sensor have a retard function? Had a J+S safeguard, worked well with dual coil 4 banger, but pain to get it sorted.
J&S is the ****. Used it on a buddies turbo is300. Great system.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:31 AM
2bridges
Drifting

looks like a fun pile of parts!
Old 11-02-2008, 05:13 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

ha no one else thinks this EMS is worth swapping for anything i can't get a fist full of beans for it .
I figured today an easy way to set up a trigger is set on up on one of the balance shafts as it runs double speed you gat double the resolution with half the teeth
Old 11-02-2008, 07:40 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

X, I did the same thing with the S2 flywheel on my turbo 968. I am doing the conversion step-by-step, and the first step was to install a 944 torque tube... and the only way to do that while still being able to drive the car, was to run an S2 flywheel/clutch/bellhousing for a while. When I take the engine out I can change the FW and bellhousing to a 951 unit.

Are you using the S2 harmonic balancer as well?

I know from experience, the 944 bellhousing/starter are not 100% compatible with the 968 starter cable harness. The 968 cables are too long and there's nowhere for the slack to go but down, almost dragging on the ground. I am trying to make a fresh 944-length harness. What was/will be your solution?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:46 AM
xrad
Rennlist Member

FR: I am keeping the stock 968 crank and front pulley and the balance shafts. Spoke with a few porsche and US race engine builders ...they felt that I should definately leave the balance shafts in place, balance the flywheel, balance and polish crank(assuming no crank problems), and balance load the rods,pins,rings and pistons.....and I should be OK. This is not a high RPM engine.

I have done conversions in phases like you are doing. Now, I gather all the necessary stuff and then do the work. it takes nearly the same amount of time. but if something goes wrong, you are out of a car. But i really don;t want to take the clutch cover down more than once during this build.

FR: how is the feel of the S2 flywheel? did you use an aftermarket PP?

Starter cable will be adjusted or replaced with new one of appropriate length. I can just make one up.

I have to admit that I have an advantage: I live in Detroit which has many auto shops and racer tech. Ilmore racing less than a mile away, Turboconcepts a few miles away, my good friend at Lyco engineering (the best Mercedes 300sl repair shop and parts supplier), a famous local engineer (who welds seems as tight as your grandmother sewing machine), and down the block, a prior Ford racing head machinist with a CNC machine and big flow bench in his garage

My last two engine builds(lots o pics w/funny stuff and plenty of good tips):
http://alfagtv6.com/phpBB3/viewtopic...t=2562&start=0
Old 11-02-2008, 12:34 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reno808: does that knock sensor have a retard function? Had a J+S safeguard, worked well with dual coil 4 banger, but pain to get it sorted.
The Link KnockBlock does, I have one in my car. I was looking at the J&S for my car as well, but I didnt really want something tinkering with the timing that I couldnt log what it was doing, then fix the reason it was pulling timing in the first place it need be.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:39 PM
xrad
Rennlist Member

Logging is very helpful...and the J+S cost almost as much as half the Haltech

my other life before Porsche (also front engine rear transaxle....and the sound was SO sweet!) I know it does not really belong in the 951 turbo section, but any gear head should appreciate it.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

GTV ... awesome car.
Always been impressed by how the front inner wheel can lift in tight turns yet the car keeps its line firmly planted. There is an active club around here and they terrorise many Porsches on the track

I assume the engine on the right is a Cup unit ?
Old 11-02-2008, 12:48 PM
George D
Drifting

PM me if you want another awesome parts source.

G

thanks GD. Sweet engine pic you have there.

It won;t be finished overnight. Always little things with these projects...

I have to say that Jason Lee of HMR in Florida has been a big help. Also, Lindsey racing, super. And Lindsey, 944online, and PicasPorsche for parts.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:18 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

X,
I feel the same way about balancing. I think the balance shafts should absolutely stay, and that if you have the engine apart you should at least balance the crank and flywheel. Pistons and rods would be great too.

The S2 flywheel feels.... alright. I had it machined before use so it should be balanced. I'm using a stock S2 PP and clutch. The TT I just put in is freshly rebuilt with new bearings and bushings so it's quiet. However the driveline makes some vibration at certain rpms, like maybe 1800 or so. You can kind of hear it, but you mostly feel it.

Some say the 968 DMF cancels vibrations better than any other available flywheel. Some say the 6-speed box inherently rattles unless used with a DMF. Some say the harmonic balancer MUST be used. Maybe 968 internals just aren't balanced as well as before. But with a balanced crank, rods, pistons, FW, vibrations should be minimal, if that.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:24 PM
xrad
Rennlist Member

Thom: 3.0l v6 high compression, carillo rods, venolia pistons, special valve job, hastings rings, ported, headers, Haltech F10x(easy peasy to hook up)..this thing screamed! you can read about it in the link above. This was an 86 retro'd to look like the GT..loved her.

Anyway, No more Alfa stuff, i promise.

FR: Yeah, wondering about transaxle rattle, several guys over on 968forums mentioned the rattle when going to 12lb aluminum flys. I don't really care if it does rattle, just don;t want damage. also, i wanted some inertia on standing starts.

Got a pic of the harmonic balancer??

Hey, anybody use these: aluminum torque tube bushings and new bearings sold on ebay a few months back. seller was T2EnterprisesLLC but looks like he is out.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:22 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I've never heard of aluminum TT bushings... I'd be interested to see some, and hear reports of how they perform.

I'm certain the rattling doesn't cause any damage. Well I don't have any first hand experience, as my setup has only been going for a few miles, but a lot of people do it and go for thousands of miles OK. I too can tolerate rattling for power, if I must, but I'm optimistic a good engine balancing will prevent most/all of it.

BTW that Alfa is beautiful, please feel free to share pics/info whenever you want! I can appreciate any kind of well designed, well built car.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:03 PM
xrad
Rennlist Member

You can see/hear it at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_46IOfDKn4

Back to 968: ready for ooohs, and ahhhhss

just got a few parts back from the plater. OK, before anyone says plating a flywheel is 'reedikerus', I always build my engines with love and attention to detail. AND, just in case you were worried about embrittlement, these parts were baked at 400F for four hours and then a four hour slow cool down time. So the next guy who gets this car will say, ahhh, xrads car...one of a kind. and plating will not affect clutch disc operation.

still have not decided if I will polish the engine block .......just kiddin.

look closely and you can see the S2 fly teeth. If you have not changed one of these clutches and have to do the PP, the ring gear comes off with a few gentle taps.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 968 turbo conversion: project in the works