Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Started to make my own Battery cables and using Ice Shark grounding kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:42 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started to make my own Battery cables and using Ice Shark grounding kit

I am not done yet. The bottom is The Ice Shark ground kit. And the top is my own. I made the Positive cables but it started to rain so i had to stop lol. All I need to do is to get some shielding for the for the cables I made.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:56 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Make me a set too!

What are you doing up so early on sunday anyway?
Old 10-26-2008, 01:08 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey C...if you are using 19 strandCu, don't...you drop is >30%@1' @ 14V...FYI
Old 10-26-2008, 03:43 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

i got a set of cables that were made with 0 gauge maybe a little overkill but whats not on my car lol
Old 10-26-2008, 05:39 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRP951
i got a set of cables that were made with 0 gauge maybe a little overkill but whats not on my car lol
LOL.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:03 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRP951
lol i was looking at 1 gauge and i couldnt really bend it lol
Old 10-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CPR
hey C...if you are using 19 strandCu, don't...you drop is >30%@1' @ 14V...FYI

Yeah, I made my own set out of high quality welding cable, looks identical to the ice shark kit at a fraction of the price. Don't use battery cable, you will not improve your electrical system.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:12 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, Dan used 1awg welding cable & 4awg for the smaller ones. The larger factory cable is b/t 1 & 2awg battery cable- larger strand- welding cable gives less resistance = less voltage drop.

Regarding prices- welding cable & lugs (both copper) have gone way up- so has ExFlex (the best cable protection I've found). Even Dan's highest price ($349 shipped) was still cheaper than stock. The MAIN benefits are- less voltage loss, infinitely better heat protection, & fuses (need I say more?).

By the time you add it all up (plus S&H to get stuff to you- heavy cable, lugs, clamps, etc), you'll find it's pricier than meets the eye. To put them together correctly, you'll need large gauge crimpers- good quality starts at $200. Large gauge cutters ($30+) & strippers ($15+). Even w/bulk prices, our kits have ~$15 worth of copper lugs. The fuses are ~$25/ea (X2)- & I tried my *** off to find good, cheaper ones & I failed miserably. I've got the complete price down to ~$300 now & it's more than 3yrs later (read, inflation). One can build a set themselves, more cheaply, assuming they have access to some tools- otherwise, it's cost-prohibitive to just make one set.

I've built >40 sets of these things now. If anyone has any questions about them, I'll be glad to help in any way I can. I'll even send pics, measurements, etc. I've seen more of the real IceShark cables than anyone alive & have two model sets hanging in my garage. I've spent hundreds of dollars trying to duplicate for cheaper & have thus, wasted hundreds of dollars. Dan did his homework. He might have charged a bit much- in all honesty, I feel the current rate is a touch high- but then, quality is worth something & Dan put a lot of time in this. It's just too bad he's not still around- I'd LOVE to see what else he could have done in the last 3yrs...

Quick Reply: Started to make my own Battery cables and using Ice Shark grounding kit