Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Trip Meter Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Tx951Dude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip Meter Repairs

My trip meter has never worked and for the life of me I can't find anything on this forum nor any of my Web searches to clue me in on a fix. I recently repaired my broken odometer and thought that I figured out the trip meter issue but still it does not work. I have the factory Porsche repair manuals but found nothing there that would even hint at how this mechanism even works. Yes, I know that the reset is located in the vent area and that the system works only with the car stopped and ignition in the on position. Can someone either explain in graphic detail or maybe post some pictures of how this system functions?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Tx951Dude
Advanced

Seems everyone is either as stumped on this one as I am or I'm gettin' no luv from any of the Listers

The closest thing that I can find to an explanation on this was found on Pelican:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ght=trip+meter

But that still doesn't show exactly how this system works, just high level details. Again, I repaired my odometer with the new gear so that much is working fine now. My trip meter always worked before my odometer stopped working but I just couldn't reset it. I've had the trim piece around the gauges removed a few times including most recently this weekend when I repaired my broken odometer. I suppose I'll have to remove the dash trim and take photos then post them here as maybe I'm still not being perfectly clear.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Tx951Dude
Advanced

Okay, I'm half way there. My trip meter will reset as I successfully tested it but I'm not sure how to mount the solenoid to the metal pillar shown in this picture.
I mounted the solenoid on the top of this pillar but either it wasn't aligned correctly or slipped once I re-attached the dash trim because the reset button would not trip the solenoid and this position seemed to cause the dash to bulge in that location telling me that this was incorrect.
Attached Images   
Old 10-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Tx951Dude
Advanced

Okay, this seems to be resolved. I found one tiny view in the factory shop manuals that showed the solenoid mounted on the top of the metal pillar so I attached it in this position again and now I think it's going to work. I can't test until I drive the car later today as I reset the trip meter to zero during my tests in the garage.

More to come.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 PM
manticore33
Racer

Yep, it goes in the big hole with the offset little hole. Easy way to check to see if it is aligned is to push the button on the trim and see where it pokes out at. Basically, the button you push goes into the solenoid button and causes the trip odometer to reset.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Tx951Dude
Advanced

Yes, this is fixed!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:57 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once the odo gear is replaced, I have no problems mashing the reset going down the road.

Quick Reply: Trip Meter Repairs