Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How will this camber affect my handling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:57 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How will this camber affect my handling?

***Update on page 3***

Before:

And after:

It was not my fault, which is what kills me. I was on my way to emissions when it happened. Three mexicans in a '70s Mercury boat pulled out in front of me, never made any effort to stop.

I was in the left lane and was slowing down to a red light when the Merc pulled out in front of me to turn left to go the other direction. I swerved into the suicide lane (given that swerving is a faster way of avoiding the accident than simply braking) but he just kept ****ing coming.

I'm ****ing devastated; those of you who are privy to my personal life know that now, officially, the two things in the world I love most are gone.

The witnesses said there was absolutely nothing I could've done; I was boned from the get-go. To make matters worse, the driver bailed, making it a hit-and-run. And, given the terribly low resale value of the car, I'm going to be fighting a major uphill battle against insurance. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I'm still shocked.

What do you think I should do? Buy the car back and part it? The car was in beautiful shape; it's got the porsche script sport seats in great condition, a dash with one .5" crack in it, a gorgeous champagne and black interior, etc...

Basically everything mechanically is new (except for the motor, which is in great shape -- consumes .5L of oil every 2500 miles). Recently, the car's been under the knife quite a bit to make it perfect. And, in my mind, it was.

Last edited by ausgeflippt951; 11-10-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:15 AM
HansB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for you loss.
As far as I can see I do not think the car looks beyond repair, though.
Don´t give up hope.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:30 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Oh wow! Very sorry to hear, it was a gorgeous car and it was clear you loved it. It looks to me like its too much to repair. The front end frame is going to be WAY bent. I'm surprised the fog light didn't shatter and the nose seems ok. I snipped a guard rail going maybe 7mph and it was enough to bend my frame noticeably.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:05 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the sympathy. I've been drinkin' my *** off since it happened -- I'll get a call tomorrow from the insurance guy to come and judge its value. It's totalled, I can tell y'all that much. The frame has to be bent. I'd be absolutely amazed (and delighted) if it wasn't.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:40 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

My condolences. I think I know exactly how you feel!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

YEOWCH!! Wow that's really bad luck. Did anyone get a description of this guy or his plate? Were there witnesses who can help trace this idiot? Very sorry for your misfortune and hope you can work it out asap. I'm sure there will be plenty of people that can help you out.
Good luck.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:09 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

holy **** !! what an *******. maybe he was drunk and has no license and hates porsches.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:09 AM
DanR
Drifting

tough break buddy, good luck with it!
Old 10-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are a PCA member, do this and save yourself a LOT of hassle.

http://www.pca.org/members/valuation.html

They will give you a form back that states the aprox. value of other cars with your mods/options/etc....

I am so sorry for your misfortune. It pains me to see such pictures.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:34 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

heartbreaking, i feel for you.

on a positive, i don't think it looks that bad, or should i say i have seen worse that were repaired like new.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:05 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gina.kane
heartbreaking, i feel for you.

on a positive, i don't think it looks that bad, or should i say i have seen worse that were repaired like new.
Now that's what I want to hear! I honestly can't think of any other car I want -- hell, I don't even want any other 951. I want MY 951, y'know?

Doug, that's a great resource. It'll be a seriously uphill battle from hereon-out.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:11 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dillon410021
holy **** !! what an *******. maybe he was drunk and has no license and hates porsches.
No, he was just another ****ing illegal mexican who doesn't have a license or insurance and isn't supposed to be here anyways so why stick around waiting for the cops and get deported. I feel for ya man, and having been the victim of a hit and run on my 951 I know how angry you are right now. I even found the guy and it was still a battle with HIS insurance company even though he was 100% at fault and had a felony charge on him. On the bright side... The damage looks worse than it really is in my opinion. The problem will be the fact that the parts are expensive and the insurance company will quote you dealer prices for a new nose, header panel, wheel, suspension parts that got damaged, fender, door, and rear fender. This is where you can make the decision once you get as much money out of them as possible to buy it back and get parts from guys on here or a parts car and try to fix the majority of it yourself and let a body shop finish her up, or buy another one. FWIW I opted to buy mine back and spend the next 2-3 years fixing her a little at a time and turning her into a track car and I took the insurance money and bought me another one that's in much better condition than my original one. It was a total PITA but in the end it worked out in my favor and I hope you have the same luck and come out ahead after having to deal with such a ****ty situation.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW, you have some room to haggle with the adjuster. If it is totaled, but not by too much, you can ask him to remove one of the parts from his list, which can bring the estimate down. Of course, that means you'll be getting less money, but since they will be quoting on dealer prices and you have access to used parts via rennlist, you may end up being able to afford repairing it.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:48 PM
azmi951
Drifting

The mexicans that hit him left their car there and hoofed it out of there.

Collins car is nice with a great interior and it is a very good runner. I told him he NEEDS to buy it back. the engine, LSD and cooled trans, new brakes, great interior....it makes it worth while to have those parts.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:38 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

It would have taken a helluva lot of self control for me to not run after them and beat the ever living **** out of the slowest one. Probably would have ended up knifed though so good thing you didn't.

Quick Reply: How will this camber affect my handling?