Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dyno'd my '87 951

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 04:04 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno'd my '87 951

So I went to the Buffalo Run here in Kansas City this past Saturday. After losing the group I was trying to follow, I decided to head over and have my car strapped to the dyno. As far as I know, my car has Authority chips and a LBE. That's all. No exhaust or anything else.

Video -

Graph -

Average was 232whp and 247wtq. Highest were 237whp and 248wtq. There's a 4th run not showing on there, it was at 220/232...so it took the 3 highest. The average is with the 220 run factored in.

Just curious if this seems right. Seems pretty high for just a chipped car. That's like 273/282 when corrected with 15%...just off a chip and LBE? almost a 60hp/40tq gain?

Either way, it was fun. Needed to get a baseline. Time to start bumping those numbers up!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

yeah that seems really high for a stock turbo at stock boost pressure
Old 10-21-2008, 04:13 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure that is not already corrected??
Old 10-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

That sounds about right to me for a healthy 951 with a chip. I think the chips were advertised to give an extra 30 or 40 HP.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:23 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I didn't see him say stock boost. most likely banjo insert to raise boost-usually comes with chip. seems dead on. -222hp w/my old set up like this.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably @ 15psi, i think thats right on where it should be. Just be careful with the AFR's on those APE chips..i was seeing the AFR dither into the 13's at WOT.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:34 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the LBE you probably aren't on stock boost pressure. Sounds right for around 14ish psi and chips. Car obviously is healthy and strong. Alot of people forget that if the motor is truly healthy and the car is running right everything just works better and those cars always make more horsepower. I myself speculate I was around 275-285rwhp on 16-17psi on my old motor(301 at 19psi). And believe me I've since had the motor taken apart and the turbo and everything was stock.

great video. You obviously have a really well running car there.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are really good numbers. Too bad you don't have a boost number and and A/F curve to analyze too. Some dyno shops will hook you up to the additional equipment required to get those stats for no extra charge. Would be really interesting to know the leakdown and compression test results on your engine.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:29 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

They actually could have done an A/F curve, but they'd charge $15 more and I forgot to ask.

I did forget, the car does have the banjo bolt. I don't have a boost gauge or anything. I plan to get all of this in time, and will know then. I also will try to get compression numbers and leak down if possible. I have had a LOT of people tell me that it's strong.

I have videos of it losing by a car at 110 to a 287whp Dinan M3...which is pretty impressive. Just this past weekend, I raced a '06 STi from a 50 roll in 2nd brake boosting and hung till about 115-120.

Then, I did race a 493whp C6 Z06 for fun...haha...well, that was interesting!

In the end, it's a very fun car. And it really does well against other cars. I have had nothing but enjoyment with the car so far, and have put roughly 3k miles on it since May.

I'll let you guys know on compression/ leakdown.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:00 AM
944CS
Drifting

Don't run an LBE with the Autothority chips, you screw up the boost mapping in the chips and then the AFR is all off. Run the banjo bolt Autothority supplies.

I had the Autothority Stage II on my car in the configuration Autothority advises (stock FPR, their banjo bolt, stock electronic boost control no ****ty MBC) and was in the mid 11's at 6500...if you look at all the people who report they were lean in the higher rpms, most were running a MBC set for a maximum boost higher than the Autothority chips are mapped for
Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

nice video, thanks for my fix.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:07 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Not a problem John. Feels good getting a comment from you on my videos. It was 3-4 years ago when I first watched some of your videos and dreamed of the day I would own a 944T. I still have most of them, matter of fact!

That Z06 is simply amazing. Just intake and tune. Lays 493whp. It's brutally fast, and insanely loud. It's easily the loudest street car I have ever heard. He's also got a red Viper GTS and a stock '03 M3 that actually beat me by MORE then that Dinan M3 did. He's looking at a new ACR Viper now. I asked him to run for ****s and giggles, to show people JUST how fast the Z06's are.

Me racing that Z06 was from a 10 roll and brake boosting.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:30 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Not a problem John. Feels good getting a comment from you on my videos. It was 3-4 years ago when I first watched some of your videos and dreamed of the day I would own a 944T. I still have most of them, matter of fact!

That Z06 is simply amazing. Just intake and tune. Lays 493whp. It's brutally fast, and insanely loud. It's easily the loudest street car I have ever heard. He's also got a red Viper GTS and a stock '03 M3 that actually beat me by MORE then that Dinan M3 did. He's looking at a new ACR Viper now. I asked him to run for ****s and giggles, to show people JUST how fast the Z06's are.

Me racing that Z06 was from a 10 roll and brake boosting.
Yeah c6Z's make stupid brutal hp. Power bands that look like a table rather than a mountainside.

The videos are excellent quality and so few people do them anymore. I myself have more videos coming however because I don't live in DFW anymore its going to be rather hard to find various things to run and setup in a controlled manner.

I never was a fan of random run ins. I'll have some more vids soon In the meantime thankfully we have people like you here.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:42 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

My camera girl didn't so such a hot job, and didn't know when to hit the damn red button some times! lol

Also, the videos are choppy a bit. That race against the 944 and Z06 was in a residential type place and here we are going 10 in a 45 holding up traffic trying to get the camera out. I'm glad I got it though.

The black Z06 in the video is roughly 550whp, all motor.

I plan to have a whole slew of new videos next year. I'm shooting for 350whp and as you can tell...240whp is already pretty mean. Kansas City has a nice selection of cars, and we normally go on a cruise every sunday. This past sunday we met at a guys house with a 997GT3, 342 Ferrari, V6'd Porsche 914...also a lotus espirit there.

It's a fun time. I really enjoy it. I'll try to keep the videos coming for you!

And as far as random run ins, they CAN be fun. Way home sunday and we see a 03-04 Cobra with a license plate saying "GETSOME". So the guy in the STi does a run. I was actually back a ways and didn't see the car, only heard it. So I closed the gap and rolled up on this guy. We both downshift, and were at around 60mph. My first thought was it was just a n/a Cobra and not really an 03-04. Well, he tells me to take off...so I do. It's about 2 seconds of me WOT and him just chilling...then I see a blue flash go by. This thing put close to 10 cars on me in roughly 6-7 seconds time. I pulled back up to him and yell "DAMN!" and he signals with his fingers "5-0-0"...I'm guessing 500whp. It was incredibly awesome.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:52 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
My camera girl didn't so such a hot job, and didn't know when to hit the damn red button some times! lol

Also, the videos are choppy a bit. That race against the 944 and Z06 was in a residential type place and here we are going 10 in a 45 holding up traffic trying to get the camera out. I'm glad I got it though.

The black Z06 in the video is roughly 550whp, all motor.

I plan to have a whole slew of new videos next year. I'm shooting for 350whp and as you can tell...240whp is already pretty mean. Kansas City has a nice selection of cars, and we normally go on a cruise every sunday. This past sunday we met at a guys house with a 997GT3, 342 Ferrari, V6'd Porsche 914...also a lotus espirit there.

It's a fun time. I really enjoy it. I'll try to keep the videos coming for you!

And as far as random run ins, they CAN be fun. Way home sunday and we see a 03-04 Cobra with a license plate saying "GETSOME". So the guy in the STi does a run. I was actually back a ways and didn't see the car, only heard it. So I closed the gap and rolled up on this guy. We both downshift, and were at around 60mph. My first thought was it was just a n/a Cobra and not really an 03-04. Well, he tells me to take off...so I do. It's about 2 seconds of me WOT and him just chilling...then I see a blue flash go by. This thing put close to 10 cars on me in roughly 6-7 seconds time. I pulled back up to him and yell "DAMN!" and he signals with his fingers "5-0-0"...I'm guessing 500whp. It was incredibly awesome.
haha awesome. Yeah you sound like you are having a great time and pretty sensible about the car. Most people are just fan boys and don't realize just whats out there.

That cobra prolly had the stock 112 ported with bolts ons and a small pulley(about what it takes to make 500rwhp on a 03-04 termi). Kinda sad and offtopic my buddy wrecked his 03 cobra just last month back home.

It takes nothing short of jesus touching your engine to make those kinds of numbers in a 944 turbo and even then you still aren't doing it on relaible boost levels or pump gas like they are.

Lances cobra put down 404rwhp all stock with aftermarket mufflers. That was the day I realized just how dated and slow our cars really are.

Quick Reply: Dyno'd my '87 951