Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Manual Steering Conversion Update on a 951

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:46 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Manual Steering Conversion Update on a 951

ok, so i've left a few posts in the past about how miserably stiff the manual rack is on my 951. i was really starting to hate it. i have actually been considering going back to power steering lately. and with my 205/50-17 front tires needing replacement, i was not looking forward to the steering with a 225/45 since i assumed it would be a little stiffer. well, to my amazement, i just got the new tires on and they have transformed the steering. it is so much lighter and easier now. i actually like it and it is only stiff when sitting still during parking maneuvers. and the feel is great now. the tires react so much quicker than the old tires and every slight movement of the steering wheel results in a change in car control. i'm much happier with the whole car now.

not sure why it's so much easier now. all i can figure is the tires had some camber wear which may have been fighting with the steering. also, i went from some crappy sumitomo tires to michelin pilot sports (which are pretty damn good tires BTW and i'm sure responsible for all of the good results of the steering feel and sensitivity.)

anyways, i would now say a manual conversion is a nice mod and not too taxing for street use. but be aware that tires, alignment settings, and perhaps some black sciences are at work with your final steering feel & effort.

Quick Reply: Manual Steering Conversion Update on a 951