Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Review of 968 box in a 951

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:55 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,

My car is fairly stiff. You do hear some noise, but not rattling noises. I'm using the stock 951 trans mount and stock front bellhousing. It's much quieter than my old five speed and very smooth when power is being delivered. Downshift with matching revs is delightful.

George

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
George,

I've always heard about 968s having rattling noises and vibrations when switching to a single mass flywheel. I just converted my '93 to a 951 TT and S2 flywheel, and I have the rattling now. Do you experience this with your 6-speed now?

I assume when you had your engine built you had the rotating mass lightened and balanced? I'm wondering if you don't experience the rattling it might be because your engine was balanced. TIA.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:04 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose there is a tad more vibration at idle, but know that I have the LR mounts with the dampner. They are not solid mounts. My motor is balanced and lightened. A lighter mass at idle is felt through the wheel no matter the mount.

I like the LR semi solid mounts MUCH better than the stock mounts for my car. I had much motor flex under power with the stock fluid filled mounts. I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade. I would do it again in a second.

I'm on record stating that you can't get a better motor mount for a high performance 951 that is street/track driven. They aren't cheap, but they are the best.

George

Originally Posted by 333pg333
George,
I'd be interested in your opinions of the stiffer motor mounts as compared to stock. Does it seem to increase cabin noise/vibration?

Quick Reply: Review of 968 box in a 951