Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Review of 968 box in a 951

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:25 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rolex, I have yet to drive the car but we did install Lindsey super motor mounts so more vibration could be the mounts. I will let George answer the rest.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:54 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rob,

I also installed the new LR semi solid bushings on the motor mounts to lower the motor a bit to clear my strut brace. The PB bushings can be relubed, and now they are as stock in terms of noise. Love them, trust me, they are awesome as far as response.

Noise is just a lube squirt away.

My car is what I wanted from the beginning. If I could clone it's power/handling I think Porsche could sell it today for a profit.

I've finally got my favorite car close to perfection. It's a beast, and street legal. We are making things better as time permits, but this is my favorite performance car to date. I've had 23 in 17 years of marriage. My wife counts them.

George

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
George, did you notice anything about the amout of noise with your bushings? Does is have any type of vibration coming into the cockpit?

Old 10-09-2008, 02:10 AM
George D
Drifting

Know that after we corner balance the car, the folks that did the original alignment will correct any minimal difference for free for six months. This includes corner balance not done by them when they know who is doing them. Silly at how they think it's me when wearing a tie dropping the car for service.

They did ask that after the corner balance I take the car to them to make sure that everything was up to spec. These folks are awesome in doing what they do for a living.

I'll bring them lunch for the trouble. I truly enjoy them liking our cars. They know our cars are a bitch to work on. I truly appreciate the shop for taking the time to take care of their customers.

Every Euro shop in Tucson sends their race/street cars here. Great service and good folks doing what I can't for a reasonable fee.

George

Originally Posted by azmi951
Corner balance is such a minimal change in ride height that I would not worry about doing it after an alignment, so long as the ride heights are close. Optimally you are right Van. If this was a track car only I would agree that the corner balance should be done before the alignment. But the scales are not with us yet and George really wanted to drive his baby so the 1-2 week delay in driving was not an option.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:50 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

An impressive sounding shop George.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:48 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by George D
Hi Rob,

I also installed the new LR semi solid bushings on the motor mounts to lower the motor a bit to clear my strut brace. The PB bushings can be relubed, and now they are as stock in terms of noise. Love them, trust me, they are awesome as far as response. Noise is just a lube squirt away.
Thanks for the input George, I appreciate it. I was afraid you may have some on-going noises but were ok with it.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:04 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

George,

I've always heard about 968s having rattling noises and vibrations when switching to a single mass flywheel. I just converted my '93 to a 951 TT and S2 flywheel, and I have the rattling now. Do you experience this with your 6-speed now?

I assume when you had your engine built you had the rotating mass lightened and balanced? I'm wondering if you don't experience the rattling it might be because your engine was balanced. TIA.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:17 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

You're welcome Rob lol
Old 10-10-2008, 01:12 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Originally Posted by George D
Know that after we corner balance the car, the folks that did the original alignment will correct any minimal difference for free for six months. This includes corner balance not done by them when they know who is doing them. Silly at how they think it's me when wearing a tie dropping the car for service.

They did ask that after the corner balance I take the car to them to make sure that everything was up to spec. These folks are awesome in doing what they do for a living.

I'll bring them lunch for the trouble. I truly enjoy them liking our cars. They know our cars are a bitch to work on. I truly appreciate the shop for taking the time to take care of their customers.

Every Euro shop in Tucson sends their race/street cars here. Great service and good folks doing what I can't for a reasonable fee.

George
I too love the shop George talks about. I called once and asked if they could align the 944. They answered with a begrudged yes and said it is a tough car to do but they can do it. The shop only uses old school mirrors and hand equipment to align, no dummy laser alignment systems. They know their stuff and do great work, I always know I can trust them.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

mirrors are still high tech i use a bit of stretched cat gut and different size rocks
Old 10-10-2008, 06:18 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

^^LOL^^
Old 10-12-2008, 09:48 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, I've not noticed any difference in corner balancing my car on the race track. None at all.

Secondly, the car will not be level (left to right) if you corner balance it.

Thirdly, the reason you must align the car after corner balancing is that as your wheels move through their arc, they toe in and/or toe out (bump steer) depending on where the wheel is in its arc.

That said, when you corner balance the car, and since the car won't sit symmetrically left to right, that means that the left and right wheels are in different positions in their respective arcs, which means that each wheel will have a different toe (than if it was sitting with symmetry left to right).

Personally, unless you have dedicated track car, I would not bother with corner balancing (and even then, I question the effectiveness on the 944 chassis).

TonyG
Old 10-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to steal this thread slightly, but if anybody is interested, I just got back my original 968 gears from my original mechanic...at least 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gears...from when we did my turbo 968 conversion.

If interested in these gears, please E-mail me...

flamthrowr@aol.com
Old 10-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
First off, I've not noticed any difference in corner balancing my car on the race track. None at all.

Personally, unless you have dedicated track car, I would not bother with corner balancing (and even then, I question the effectiveness on the 944 chassis).

TonyG
I disagree. I noticed an immediate improvement on the track when I corner balanced my car - it was off a bit, but I could instantly tell that there was a more even weight transfer between left and right hand turns. Before, my car was biased to turning left, which made it harder to "set" for right hand turns.

For the small cost, I recommend it for everyone!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:32 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I disagree. I noticed an immediate improvement on the track when I corner balanced my car - it was off a bit, but I could instantly tell that there was a more even weight transfer between left and right hand turns. Before, my car was biased to turning left, which made it harder to "set" for right hand turns.

For the small cost, I recommend it for everyone!
You'd be the only person that I personally know that could tell a difference. None of the people I know that run on the track on a regular basis could tell the difference (on the 944 chassis).

I tried it again with this 951 and couldn't tell a difference.

I guess it might depend on how well the car is setup to begin with.

Then again, maybe I'm just not going fast enough to tell the difference :-)

I do know that each time I did it the car looked silly due to the difference in left and right side ride heights.

TonyG
Old 10-13-2008, 05:45 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

George,
I'd be interested in your opinions of the stiffer motor mounts as compared to stock. Does it seem to increase cabin noise/vibration?

Quick Reply: Review of 968 box in a 951