bad news and some good news

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:15 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default bad news and some good news

Well I just pushed a HG.

I was getting it ready for this weds test and tune and was running pretty high boost for quite a few runs in row, like over 35 psi all the way from 2nd through 7k in 4th. Kind of sucks since it seemed to be ready to go. I still don't have my tires so I would have to baby it anyway off the line. I just wanted to a get a MPH since so far that is the only thing that has been decent at the dragstrip with this car I have only ran 117 and it was only 68 in the 1/8th due to clutch slip and bog. Enough of that

The car is now over at the shop, with the engine out of my 83 sitting right in front of it. I was thinking of just replacing the HG but who knows if anything else is damaged. I have been wanting to install this engine in anyway b/c of the higher compression. Any bets on whether it will be running tomorrow afternoon . Hopefully everythign will go quick and I can still make weds.

I was looking around a the dragstrips close to me (ours closes next week) and

I found a couple of pics of my old Camaro it didn't have the blower crap sticking out of that POS hood and was a bit faster. The paint is still the same since I did it in 1990. I see it's for sale, I may see what he wants for it. This is one of the only cars I miss.
http://www.douglasmotorsportspark.co...target=tlx_new

http://www.douglasmotorsportspark.co...target=tlx_new
Old 10-05-2008, 03:07 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sid, you can get that baby done by tommorow afternoon. If everything looks good just go for it. The camaro is SICK. If you dont buy that back..... I will
Old 10-05-2008, 11:14 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=blown 944;5872269] I see it's for sale, I may see what he wants for it. This is one of the only cars I miss.QUOTE]

Was it a true z28. I'd love to do a 67' or 68' but not for drag, more like a trans am car..
Old 10-05-2008, 11:17 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

send me PM about that camaro
Old 10-05-2008, 11:36 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude get your car ready darnit.

We want MPH numbers. "We ask" "you make" "chop, chop" see.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:06 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by porshhhh951:dude get your car ready darnit.

We want MPH numbers. "We ask" "you make" "chop, chop" see.

I think everyone is excited to see Sids numbers
Old 10-05-2008, 12:17 PM
blown 944
Race Car

[QUOTE=evil 944t;5872614]
Originally Posted by blown 944
I see it's for sale, I may see what he wants for it. This is one of the only cars I miss.QUOTE]

Was it a true z28. I'd love to do a 67' or 68' but not for drag, more like a trans am car..
No the emblems, window tint, hood (I had a 3" cowl), way too oversized tires for those wheels, and raising it to clear them, have all been changed. Otherwise it's exactly the same.

I do like the looks of the trans am cars. To me now, they are more of a period item than drag style cars. If I got it back I would make it more of a touring style.

Funny little story about when I bought the car. I would drive by it daily to see my GF (ex wife now). An old couple had it, they bought it brand new for gas mileage in 1970. I finally stopped and asked if they would be interested in selling it. He said no at first but I left my number anyway. He called me back a week later and asked if I still wanted it... "yes", as calm as I could say it.
When I got there he pointed out all the items that had been changed or needed repair (about 3).
He said he would like to get what he paid for it 1200.00 . I said that was fair and that I was going to restore it. At the time, any decent Camaro was fetching ~ 4-6k . This car was straight and rust free with perfect interior.

It was a fun car, too bad I got the drag bug so bad and got rid of it for my Nova. Ive learned that having a faster better looking (or what others percieve to be) does not always make me happy. Especially if it sits in trailer more than driven.

Speaking of which, I'm getting to it right now. This 951 has not been down for more than a a day other than when I rebuilt the engine (2 weeks) so I don't want to start that trend again .
Old 10-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Anybody who runs 35psi (on any fuel) no doubt has a spare HG sets handy and the skills to swap them in like air filters. Heck, I changed my HG twice while typing this message. Get to it!
Old 10-05-2008, 01:32 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Oh Sid, what do you want me to say? 95one is next
Old 10-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a nice camaro. I came across most of my cars the same way and got some pretty good deals.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:22 PM
blown 944
Race Car

engine is out, mounts are swapped, along with turbo and oil cooler items.

still need to swap the clutch,flywheel,PP crossover..lunchtime

Lart , I was somewhat expecting it to happen, but just wanted to see how much it would take. I am not sure what happened. I think the WF just didn't hold up, I'll know later this week when I pull the head. Hopefully that is all it is and I will have a temp engine to put into the 83 that I know can handle "some" boost. As for this car and those who are expecting big numbers I doubt it will happen I don't plan on running really high boost on this one. I did a little thinking last night and I just have to remember what the goal is: a decent DD,with AC (makes it a bit harder swap) that is capable of keeping up with most cars on the road.

I think that the higher compression will be nice around town. Now that I "know" that "I" can tune it in I can transfer everything over to the light car pretty easily. Trying to make "this" car fast is really defeating what I am trying to accomplish, but it is so hard to keep my fingers off the boost controller

Ohh and I doubt that Bruce will blow his up right away, he is a bit more patient than I and seems to have much more self control
Old 10-05-2008, 05:13 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

well I got a stock brand new hg sitting in a box I bought if you want it. I bought the hg kit to get all those seals for my top end.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:42 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

What HG are you using Sid, and what headstuds?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:52 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I might be changing the headgasket soon. But it won't be for obvious reasons... heheheh.

Lart. I STOP at 22psi. SID can't seem to help himself and turn it up, and up, and up, and what the hell....?!!!!!
He's crazy. Probably why I like him.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:50 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
What HG are you using Sid, and what headstuds?
that one was a widefire. using stock heads studs. I think I'm going to stick with the WF gasket but use bigger studs on the next engine. I like to look at it as my "fuse" so far it looks like it is just a HG, however I haven't pulled the head but the block looks OK from underneath. The 83 engine already has the arp studs and WF

I am wishing that I pulled the head at this point . I got slowed down today with a stripped flywheel bolt I had to drill. I also had to run back to the house since I forgot the cheesehead set and I forgot that the 83 had the old style waterpump . I should have just left it and put it in, but I decided that I liked my electric setup into the back of the head so I swapped that new pump in.

Taking a quick break right now as the engine is under the car and ready to go in but I vividly remember aligning the clutch splines. I need my energy for that.

Quick Reply: bad news and some good news